cjtyler

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I bought a pair of Dali Oberon 5s and a Bluesound Node streamer and they’re powered by a Roksan Kandy III bought in 2002. The thing is, I have no problems with the sound but can’t help wondering if I’d be even happier with an upgrade to the amp? I’m a huge fan of plenty of controlled bass; breathy vocals; clear top and a pinpoint soundstage (so, everything, then 😜). Just wondered how much would be a realistic amount to make a noticeable sonic gain, given that the Roksan was £600 back in the day. What calibre of amp would be on a par with my old dog? Would a Cambridge 61 be a sonic improvement or am I going to have to look north of 1k? Thoughts appreciated.

Tannoyed

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I bought a candy 2 a few years ago. It has been ok until tonight when I was plunged into silence mid track. Sparky sparks coming from the power relay when switching on and off. Oh dear too much current going somewhere. I pulled it apart and surprise surprise a dead short on a complimentary pair of mosfets. 2 pounds each i ordered replacements from Farnell. But what horrified me was the poor standard of construction. Mostly on the pcb. A sm diode across a relay coil completely obliterated and replaced by a 1n4001 strapped to the underside of the relay. The obliterated area covered in red varnish. Another 1n4001 laying along the pcb surface between two sm components. Poorly soldered wirework resistors in the output stage. For a 1000 pound plus amp I am appalled. I shall never buy roksan again and i bought it new from a reputable dealer.

Tannoyed is a sitting troll if he's been this quiet since 2014., and he can't spell Kandy.
I have had no issues with any Roksan equipment I have owned. However, your desire to replace it with a Cambridge is somewhat worrying.
Buy a second-hand Caspian or look at something like a Creek for similar performance.
To better that performance in a modern amp is going to cost you a tad more than £1000.
Is the streamer your only source?

Reactions: Tonestar1

cjtyler

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Tannoyed is a sitting troll if he's been this quiet since 2014., and he can't spell Kandy.
I have had no issues with any Roksan equipment I have owned. However, your desire to replace it with a Cambridge is somewhat worrying.
Buy a second-hand Caspian or look at something like a Creek for similar performance.
To better that performance in a modern amp is going to cost you a tad more than £1000.
Is the streamer your only source?
Yes, I only use the streamer with Tidal. Surprised the 20 year old Roksan stands up to near £1000 amps. I see plenty of them going for£250 so assumed even a £500 amp would be an improvement? Are you saying a Cambridge wouldn’t be much of an upgrade?

Yes, I only use the streamer with Tidal. Surprised the 20 year old Roksan stands up to near £1000 amps. I see plenty of them going for£250 so assumed even a £500 amp would be an improvement? Are you saying a Cambridge wouldn’t be much of an upgrade?
Go audition for yourself, it's the only way otherwise it is just my opinion
The Cambridge is £750 and the Kandy was £650 back then,just saying.....

Tannoyed

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
OK Kandy it is but this is what I found last night so caveat emptor! It really was not good and I repair pcb's for a living, but what do I know? Incidentally I stopped posting precisely because of reactions like that so bye bye again see you in 2026

Tannoyed

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I bought a pair of Dali Oberon 5s and a Bluesound Node streamer and they’re powered by a Roksan Kandy III bought in 2002. The thing is, I have no problems with the sound but can’t help wondering if I’d be even happier with an upgrade to the amp? I’m a huge fan of plenty of controlled bass; breathy vocals; clear top and a pinpoint soundstage (so, everything, then 😜). Just wondered how much would be a realistic amount to make a noticeable sonic gain, given that the Roksan was £600 back in the day. What calibre of amp would be on a par with my old dog? Would a Cambridge 61 be a sonic improvement or am I going to have to look north of 1k? Thoughts appreciated.
A troll would not take the time to say things are good when they are so here goes.
My Roksan has now been repaired by the company which now owns the brand -Monitor Audio. They had to change everything except the toroidal mains transformer and the case but it had obviously had a very uncertain past with much track damage on the pcb. With a new pcb and the bias set up properly it now runs much cooler and the sound is superb. Stick with the Roksan would be my advice. You get fancy wim wams on more modern amps but they won't sound any better. In addition the signals are switched by relays in the Roksan so you get very little if any crosstalk between inputs.

I am now very very happy with it and my thanks go to Dan at Monitor Audio. He and his team offer a service which is second to none. A 5 year old amp only 2 weeks inside warranty and which I had investigated myself because I did not expect it still to be under warranty. Yes the one I bought new was appalling but that was before Monitor Audio got involved. Fixed and in A1 condition within 3 weeks.

I bought a £2000 Arcam SA30 in the meantime and whilst this is fine (interestingly it uses bipolar transistors with integral compensating diodes in the output) The Roksan is simpler and in my view better although I usually prefer bipolar to Mosfets because I am old-fashioned. Great features but unnecessarily complicated for old codgers like me.

I think we can safely say that this is a brand to trust so if you want a new Roksan I am sure it will be great because they are now part of Monitor Audio and you will have excellent support, should the need arise.

Reactions: matthewpiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts