2 way V 3 way designs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

Not sure what I was looking at but they looked fine to me. But then again they probably are dry as I don't know what to look for. I might be tempted to do something with them in the new year so watch this space :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The voice coil is dipped in a black tar like fluid.

addfluid4a.jpg

With time that dries out or becomes gunky and needs to be replaced. 10 years is due time, 20 is a strech.

insider9

Vladimir said:

With time that dries out or becomes gunky and needs to be replaced. 10 years is due time, 20 is a strech. 
Cheers Vladimir! Definitely didn't look anything like it. It'll be a handy little project for after Christmas.

insider9

Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:

With time that dries out or becomes gunky and Seas H1147-06 27TBC/G would be the correct drop-in replacement, with better linearity down to 1.5khz and with no ferrofluid because of the new Sonomax technology. 50 quid for the pair. 
It sounds very tempting :) I'm not using these speakers at present so something to do in a bit but much appreciated and I've bookmarked this thread.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I just remembered this Macedonian hi-fi manufacturer implements the concept of two-way design with multidriver execution.

Now there are three paralleled mid/woofers. The two-way concept arose because the first crossover of a three-way, between bass and mid, is where the human ear is most sensitive to especially phase distortion. No matter how well you execute your filter and budget for it, it will never be better than not having that crossover in the first place. My final topology pursues Einstein's mandate of as simple as possible but no simpler.

source: 6moons

4.jpg

www.teoharov.mk

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
How about the AKAI Jetstream SW-30 (1970's, 1-way speaker (labyrint), 50 Hz - 17 kHz). ?

A 3-way speaker is much harder to design, so must be much more expensive. You have 2 cross-over freq in the mid freq area which is harder to achieve. It has a more complicated cross-over filter.

So i prefer a good 2 way speaker!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts