1tb box HD break-up thoery

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
I have recently upgraded my 3 year old Thomson Sky HD box to a 1tb model (the Amstrad one).

I have also put the previous HD box upstairs on a multiroom account.

My problem is that the Amstrad 1tb box HD output is very "choppy" (especially on Sky News HD and Sky Sports HD).

SD stuff is fine.

The signal is fine and as good as it's always been. The Thomson box is also receiving the channels with no problem.

I've read somewhere that having two HD boxes off one lnb can cause problems. there are four outputs off the LNB so why would one box interfere with the other??

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
When you say "disconnect" do you mean turn it off at the plug? I will try it out tonight and let you know. Bit of a bummer if I have to do that every time I want to watch or record HD though....

daveh75

Yep, power it down should be enough...

Reason for asking is, Thomson boxes are known for PSU failure, and oddly this can effect other receivers connected to the same LNB and the symptoms often show on the other receivers before the failing Thomson box.

The reason for this is although,Twin, Quad, Octo LNBs are essentially multiple LNBs in a single case, they can/do take their common power requirements from any of the connected receivers, so a failing PSU on one box can have an effect on all or any of the connected boxes.

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
OK I can confirm that when the upstairs Thomson is switched off, the Amstrad 1tb plays HD no problems at all.

However, leaving the one upstairs off all the time makes it difficult for me to record on it!

What are my options? Do I need to buy another box? (I should add that I recently had the Thomson refurbished with all new capacitors etc and works like new). Can I get a different LNB? Can Sky (or me) somehow "boost" my signal?

daveh75

Petruchio:
OK I can confirm that when the upstairs Thomson is switched off, the Amstrad 1tb plays HD no problems at all.

However, leaving the one upstairs off all the time makes it difficult for me to record on it!

What are my options? Do I need to buy another box? (I should add that I recently had the Thomson refurbished with all new capacitors etc and works like new). Can I get a different LNB? Can Sky (or me) somehow "boost" my signal?

An LNB change won't help...

When you refurbished the Thomson box were the caps replaced like for like, or were better quality caps used?And was it just the caps that were changed or a full rebuild/upgrade?

Either way it's the Thomson box that's the problem, either replace it, or get the PSU looked at. Make sure it's an 'upgraded' PSU and not a refurbished/replacement PSU as they tend to be a like for like replacement using the same poor quality components.

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes I remember the guy saying that he used better caps.

Not sure what work was actually done on it but it cost me £45 so I can't imagine that a huge overhaul was undertaken!!

Where's the best place to get an "upgraded" PSU? Can I install it myself? How much should I pay for one?

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Just had a thought...is there an LNB on the market that has quad outputs but the outputs are "powered" independently (ie the psu from one box can't interefere with the other?)....Basically it would be like having two dishes....???

daveh75

Petruchio:Where's the best place to get an "upgraded" PSU? Can I install it myself? How much should I pay for one? Satcure can sell you either upgrade kits to repair your own PSU (if you can solder) or can supply upgraded replacement PSUs on an exchange basis (just requires a screwdriver)

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/psu.htm

Failing that send it to/contact Micheal at http://www.digifixltd.co.uk.

He offers free estimates (though you pay the postage,obviously, unless you live locally to his shop) and actually designed/spec'd the PSU upgrades that satcure sell, and is a very helpful and knowledgeable chap.

Petruchio:Just had a thought...is there an LNB on the
market that has quad outputs but the outputs are "powered" independently
(ie the psu from one box can't interefere with the other?)....Basically
it would be like having two dishes....???Nope...

TRENDING THREADS