1st Turntable ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, looking for my first turntable..

I have been looking at a Rega P2 or Planar 3 second hand. Is it just me or do all the second hand Rega's on ebay go abroad :-(

What are people opinions on getting a new P2 or get the second hand Planar 3 (as they are not far off in price)? Or any other suggested turntable? As my pre amp, I am thinking of the 640p....

My other half is getting bored with me talking about record players, so thought best join to talk to like minded people and make sure my purchase is a good one :)

A

Anonymous

How do!

I'm new to vinyl too and when I asked the same Q a few months back I was pointed to the planar 3, from what I remember the RB300 arm that's fitted to (most) of the planar 3's is a highly regarded tonearm for the money. I think the other reason was that there are more upgrade options for it, I think people tend to change the glass platter, the bearing, the counterweight and the "P3 upgrade" package but if you're going to do that then maybe think about the current p3-24 model.

The other TT suggested was the project debut's but the consensus was they were not as good and it was worth going for a 2nd hand Rega instead. I remember sonmeone saying the Linn Sondek LP12 is a good 2nd hand buy but that more like 500+ and then there's the upgrading u can do... moneymoneymoney bankrupt. Too rich for my blood anyway.

I got my Rega Planar 3 before xmas and I remember them going for around £160 depending on what cart (if any) fitted, extra kit and if it had the RB250 (silver S shaped arm) or RB300 (black straight arm) on it, the 300's going for more. Yes I noticed a lot of "do you ship to Spain/Germany/Sweden" questions on eBay, guess the euro/Pound makes it a real bargain for them.

There is also the P3 model, not exactly sure the difference is, I THINK it has the same arm but has a different motor setup, someone else will hopefully help out on that. I just remember people saying go for the Planar 3 not P3.

I've got the 640p pre-amp and I'm very happy with it, I've only ever heard the phono stage on my old amp so can't tell u for sure if it's the best for the money but it's got good reviews.

Hope this helps some as said I'm new to the game so I'd wait till the veterans put their ideas down.

Have fun!

A

Anonymous

Best advice I can offer is dont buy a TT second hand without seeing it first. TT's are very sensitive to misuse and easily damaged during transport if not packed properly. Damage to tonearm bearings and a worn spindle bearing isn't easy to see in a photo and these will need to be checked before parting with your hard earned.

A

Anonymous

the second hand planar 3 may hv the old motor which is suspended by a rubber band. this is noisier than the new motor which is on the p2.

it's best to hv a first-hand look at the tt to check the arm, spindle, motor, etc.

A

Anonymous

i interviewed phil freeman of rega last night for my blog. he said there will be a new rega p1 with new tonearm and platter out this year. perhaps you could wait for it to be launched...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts