1999 project debut turntable upgrades?

Fairbrother1969

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, this is my first visit so be kind :)

ive a project debut turntable I bought in 1999, it's using a ortofon 510 mk11. I've always been happy with the sound but recently thought about upgrading. First stop is the stylus, anyone recommend a sensible replacements £60-£200 price range. Maybe a tonearm upgrade at some stage, any suggestions?

Basically definatly going to change the stylus and any good suggestions I can do or get done.

Thanks in advance:)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

The tonearm supplied with this turntable will be perfectly ok and match the quality of the plinth, bearings, motor etc. Pro-Ject are very good at doing this and I don't think a tonearm upgrade would be appropriate on this good budget turntable.

Fit a Nagaoka MP 110 for around £80 or so and this will constitute a noticeable upgrade; you could go for an Ortofon 2M Red for about the same price if you prefer a more forward presentation. The Nagaoka would be the better bet in my opinion.

iMark

I think a Speedbox could make the turntable sound better. Our Pro-Ject has a built-in speedbox and is very good. I agree with Jim about the cartridge upgrade. But I recommend having a cartridge fitted by a dealer. It looks very fiddly on our Pro-Ject, especially without the right tools.

Fairbrother1969

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I was looking at the ortofon 2m red and blue, but was informed the blue would be too good for the deck? The sound from a 15yr old turntable is still fantastic, upgrades in the amp and phono stage I would imagine giving better results overall.

My system consists of

Project turntable

Cambridge audio phono stage

Marantz cd-5001

Denon avr 1906

Acoustic Energy Aegis 5.1 speakers ( only use the 2 front floorstanders for music )

QED interconnects and speaker cables

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
The 2M Blue is a considerable step up from the 2M Red (which is no slouch either BTW) but twice the price. For the same money as the 2M Red you could get yourself a Nagaoka MP110 which a lot of people on these boards own, and like a lot.

If I was you and happy with my Pro-Ject deck, then a MP110 would probably be a decent, yet not too expensive, an upgrade.

Personally, I have a Pro-Ject 2Xperience deck which sounds terrific with a 2M Blue.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
The 2M Blue is a considerable step up from the 2M Red (which is no slouch either BTW) but twice the price. For the same money as the 2M Red you could get yourself a Nagaoka MP110 which a lot of people on these boards own, and like a lot.

If I was you and happy with my Pro-Ject deck, then a MP110 would probably be a decent, yet not too expensive, an upgrade.

Personally, I have a Pro-Ject 2Xperience deck which sounds terrific with a 2M Blue.

+1 to all that. The 2M Blue is a very good cart but overkill on the OP's turntable imo. Nagaoka MP 110 would be ideal or the 2M Red of course.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts