17 year old Hifi

GrumpyITDude

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Finally the kids have grown up and I am allowed to bring my Hi-fi from out the attic again. I purchased it all in the UK in the late 90s, then life took over and now I am living in the States.

My setup in the day was: Tag McLaren PA20R, CDT20R, DAC20, 100P & Audiolab 8000SX running Mission 752F speakers.

My question is "Is this setup worth saving?" and can it hold it's own with the newer equipment of today?

I would have to get a 220V circuit installed (the breaker is too messy) to get it all working. This is probably around $1000 to install, so I am still thinking of starting from scratch with 110V 2015 equipment and building my habbit up again. Unfortunatly we don't have a lot of Hi Fi stores over here, so it's not as easy as popping down the local SevenOaks for a chat.

Your insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Colin M

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Provided it's all still working properly that system should still sound good. I think you'd still have to spend thousands to get something of a similar level.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Your speakers are good and will hold their own against today's equivalent. Look good too with the grills on.

It may be worth spending a grand to play your equipment though.

Your kit is good & would cost a fair penny to replace with like for like stuff, probably alot more than the install.

If replacement kit is really hard to find/audition - then your initial solution makes good sense.

Chances are today's kit won't sound notably better but different.

but then there is a lot of fun to be gained from getting new equ.

Look on line see if anything tweaks your curiosity

What sort of budget are you looking at ref equipment anyway.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't have thought that it would take $1000 to get it working. A couple of 500va step up transformers, one for the (power) amplifier, on for the rest should do the job. Should be available under $100 each.

Use a uk 13 amp plugboard or two and find somewhere to hide all the wires and transformers and you are good to go.

BTW, you have checked whether any of your gear is dual voltage?

GrumpyITDude

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks so much for the replies, I'm sure like many of us, I feel quite an attatchment to my old equipment, so thanks to everyone for taking time to reply.

The equipment unfortunatly is only 220-240v and I ran it successully on a hulkingly big transformer when I first arrived. Then came the children who seemed attracted to poking the speakers, then the wife saw my speakers as a temporary coffee table, so away they went.

So my plan now is to have electrics installed (I can always change these back to 115Vs in the future) and now look for a new streaming device and record player.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts