13amp mains cable as speaker cable?

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
What are forum members thoughts on using 13 amp twin and earth mains electrical cable as home cinema / hi fi speaker cable as opposed to branded cable by hi fi companies?

I was thinking of using it to bi wire my Monitor Audio Bronze 2's and for my MA Bronze centre speaker?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
beaker_07 said:
What are forum members thoughts on using 13 amp twin and earth mains electrical cable as home cinema / hi fi speaker cable as opposed to branded cable by hi fi companies? I was thinking of using it to bi wire my Monitor Audio Bronze 2's and for my MA Bronze centre speaker?

It's fine as long as it's the orange kind used for electric mowers, according to Quad years ago. ;-)

Seriously, it should be fine: there was a thing many years ago about using solid core 'cooker cable' as speaker cable, but ordinary mains flex should work well enough, and is cheap enough to try and see how you get on. 'Twin and earth', as used for ring-mains, lighting circuits and the like, might be a bit stiff to be used conveniently, but ordinary two-core 'lamp flex' should be fine, and is more flexible.

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks _ It was the solid core cable that I was going to use to try bi wiring the front speaker's with. As you say it is a cheap way to find out if there is any difference. I can always get some proper audio cable at a later date.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
beaker_07 said:
Thanks _ It was the solid core cable that I was going to use to try bi wiring the front speaker's with. As you say it is a cheap way to find out if there is any difference. I can always get some proper audio cable at a later date.

I think the wisdom back then was that the multistrand construction of ordinary flex sounded better than solid-core. Not of course that cables can sound in any way different. Or indeed biwiring. ;-)

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks again - I have multi strand cable as well so I can try that as well to see if there is any difference.

Is it really not worth while bi wiring I have seen a lot of positive comments? I can always try it and see as mains cable is not very expensive.

Matte

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
bsseaker_07 said:
Thanks again - I have multi strand cable as well so I can try that as well to see if there is any difference.

Is it really not worth while bi wiring I have seen a lot of positive comments? I can always try it and see as mains cable is not very expensive.

Ive used 2.5mm T&E leaving the earth unconnected and it worked fine. I eventually pulled the earth through the jacket with a pair of pliers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts