1080p Full HD vs 1080p HD-Ready

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
enerkhan said:
Hi BigBoss and others, this is a very interesting discussion, and relevant to me. I'm thinking about buying my friend's Pioneer Kuro 428-xd television. It seems that some years ago this Kuro series was considered the very best of the day. Now I wonder about just one thing indeed: if this tv is "HD Ready" does this mean that it cannot play bu-rays ? I understand from the above discussion that HD Ready means that the TV can handle HD signals so that should be fine then. My profile: I'm just an average film lover. I want splendid coloration and contrast in the picture, no ghosting or clouding or the likes. I'm no gamer and I don't kick on having a pixel refinement that almost hurts the eyes. Thanks for still considering this question which seems oldschool...except if you're about to buy a second hand Kuro tv in 2013. ;-) E.

I've only just seen this thread, maybe because it's in the wrong section of the discussion forum: it should be under "TVs and projectors" rather than under "Home cinema".

You'll see from my signature that I have this very Pioneer in my bedroom, and indeed I was watching a Blu-Ray (Hanna, to be precise) on it until 10 minutes ago. Colours and nearly everything else are fine, but I do now notice that it's not quite as sharp, being only HD Ready, as my other three Full HD televisions (my signature doesn't yet show the LG 60PZ950T in the kitchen). However, if as you say you don't kick on having pixel refinement that almost hurts the eyes, it might suit you just fine! Don't pay more than £500 for it though (mine was £1,400 new in August 2008).

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
enerkhan said:
Hi BigBoss and others, this is a very interesting discussion, and relevant to me. I'm thinking about buying my friend's Pioneer Kuro 428-xd television. It seems that some years ago this Kuro series was considered the very best of the day. Now I wonder about just one thing indeed: if this tv is "HD Ready" does this mean that it cannot play bu-rays ? I understand from the above discussion that HD Ready means that the TV can handle HD signals so that should be fine then. My profile: I'm just an average film lover. I want splendid coloration and contrast in the picture, no ghosting or clouding or the likes. I'm no gamer and I don't kick on having a pixel refinement that almost hurts the eyes. Thanks for still considering this question which seems oldschool...except if you're about to buy a second hand Kuro tv in 2013. ;-) E.

I bought a Pioneer 508xd at a knock down price recently which I have to say is surprisingly good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts