1080p Full HD vs 1080p HD-Ready

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is there a difference between the two? They are both 1920 * 1080p so is one superior over the other?
GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

On TV's advertised everwhere, infact. Have a look at the TV's at Richer Sounds.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
It's just lazy advertizing. Either that or they've had a lot of people asking why 1080p TVs aren't HD Ready.

Either way the 1080p ones should be labelled FullHD in all cases.

A

Anonymous

Full HD is 1080p, yes.

HD ready is a TV or device that can accept the HD signal wether it be 1080i or 1080p , so if a device is not HD ready it will have no HD inputs.

SKY says this in their adverts, you tv is HD ready, but its not HD until you hook it up to a SKY HD box, bla bla

A

Anonymous

canada16:

Full HD is 1080p, yes.

HD ready is a TV or device that can accept the HD signal wether it be 1080i or 1080p , so if a device is not HD ready it will have no HD inputs.

SKY says this in their adverts, you tv is HD ready, but its not HD until you hook it up to a SKY HD box, bla bla

There appears to be three variations now - HD-Ready (720p/1080i), 1080p HD-Ready and 1080p Full HD. Just not quite sure about the one in the middle.

I have also noticed that the Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 is a HD-Ready 1080p screen!

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Full HD is not an official term, but was used as a kind of marketing ploy to try and differentiate between sets which are 720p compatible and sets which are 1080p compatible.

So anything which says HD Ready can accept an HD signal and has a resolution of 720p or above (thus a 1080p TV is an HD Ready TV just as a 720p set is). Some TVs also advertise their 1080p output ability as Full HD, but there's no official requirement for this to be so.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
The confusion arises as technically ANY tv over the standard SD format is HD READY

At some point someone somewhere decided to start displaying 1080P tvs as 'full' hd

So a 1080P tv can be classed as full AND hd ready

Anything less is HD ready

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
The now defunct Sony magazine (the printed version) had the results of a survey last year about how most people, even those with a HD television, didn't understand the difference between HD ready and full HD.

Hmmm, I wonder whose fault that is?

ElectroMan:
The now defunct Sony magazine (the printed version) had the results of a survey last year about how most people, even those with a HD television, didn't understand the difference between HD ready and full HD.

.....The results will be similar if people are asked about Samsung's "LED" TVs.

It's all a marketing ploy. Manufacturers advertise in ways to attract people to buy their products, thereby resorting to such catch phrases like "Full HD", "HD ready" etc.

It's still not as bad as Samsung who have managed to completely distort people's perception & expectations regarding LED TVs. They never say that their TV is an LCD with LED edge lighting. Now when real LED TVs launch, I strongly suspect they will flop (they will be a lot more expensive, no doubt) unless manufacturers come up with a cleverer marketing tactic.

A

Anonymous

The confusion emerged because the EICTA (the European body which originally set and administered the HD-Ready standard back in 2005) reacted too slowly to consumers' increasing preference for 1920 x 1080 panels. As a result, instead of being forced to adhere to one terminology guideline (as they were in 2005), manufacturers started to release 1920 x 1080 TVs using their own preferred badging: we saw 'True HD', 'Full HD 1080p' and many more.

So while the EICTA subsequently issued an 'HD Ready 1080p' standard in 2007, it was too late. Everyone was already using terms such as Full HD: it was in common usage, regardless of whether it was actually an officially supported term or not.

Essentially, it boils down to this: an 'HD Ready 1080p' set is Full HD, and vice versa.

A

Anonymous

bigboss:ElectroMan:

.....The results will be similar if people are asked about Samsung's "LED" TVs.

It's all a marketing ploy. Manufacturers advertise in ways to attract people to buy their products, thereby resorting to such catch phrases like "Full HD", "HD ready" etc.

It's still not as bad as Samsung who have managed to completely distort people's perception & expectations regarding LED TVs. They never say that their TV is an LCD with LED edge lighting. Now when real LED TVs launch, I strongly suspect they will flop (they will be a lot more expensive, no doubt) unless manufacturers come up with a cleverer marketing tactic.

i wonder would the sony x4500 be classed as a real led ?? seeing as its led clusters are directly behind the screen , and not around the edges , ala samsungs 7 and 8 series ..

or are there tvs in the pipeline that can actually do without the lcd screen , instead having thousands of led pixels ??

maxflinn:
i wonder would the sony x4500 be classed as a real led ?? seeing as its led clusters are directly behind the screen , and not around the edges , ala samsungs 7 and 8 series ..

or are there tvs in the pipeline that can actually do without the lcd screen , instead having thousands of led pixels ??

Nope, they're LCD TVs with backlit LED. Even Philips has invested in this technology. They have obvious advantages over the edge-lit LED ones.

Check this article.

This is a true LED display:

20080105150929878.jpg

A

Anonymous

im confused , so a true led tv does not have any lcd panel ??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
An LED TV (in the domestic sense) has an LCD panel, lit with LEDs.

An LED display (in the commercial sense, as in that picture above) forms the image from a matrix of LEDs. So far this is not a viable technology for the much smaller screen sizes used in the domestic environment.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sadly, it's only going to get (potentially) more confusing this year as TV manufacturers start to offer a range of LED-backlit options in their ranges, each with their own descriptions of the tech involved.

For example, LG is going to use a range of logos on its LED-backlit sets, which will describe in real-word terms(ish) what you're getting - so that's Edge LED, Edge LED Localised Dimming and Full LED Slim.

But that's just one manufacturer - you can expect other logos/phrasing from the rest!

Fear not, any confusion and you can just come on here and ask.

A

Anonymous

yes , i understand the former , so unless they find a way to make miniscule led pixels , which as you say is not viable , then led , is only a form of backlighting , edge lighting etc , for an lcd tv ?? there are no true led tvs (in conventional sizes) as of yet ??

or would an oled tv be classed as a real led tv ?? do they project through an lcd panel ??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, there are no true LED TVs in domestic sizes as yet. And while OLED is self-illuminating, and has no LCD panel, there are none of those in commercially viable sizes either yet.

A

Anonymous

ah , now im getting there , so is each led on an oled tv actually one "pixel" hence the difficulty in making larger screens ???

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
In very general terms, yes. But the major problems in scaling the technology up to commercial TV sizes are cost, lifespan and the difficulties of mass-production of larger screens, which have an alarmingly low yield in manufacture.

A

Anonymous

ah ok , so if they can master it , on larger screens , the potential contrast and clarity would eclipse anything currently out there ....sounds good...

enerkhan

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi BigBoss and others, this is a very interesting discussion, and relevant to me. I'm thinking about buying my friend's Pioneer Kuro 428-xd television. It seems that some years ago this Kuro series was considered the very best of the day. Now I wonder about just one thing indeed: if this tv is "HD Ready" does this mean that it cannot play bu-rays ? I understand from the above discussion that HD Ready means that the TV can handle HD signals so that should be fine then. My profile: I'm just an average film lover. I want splendid coloration and contrast in the picture, no ghosting or clouding or the likes. I'm no gamer and I don't kick on having a pixel refinement that almost hurts the eyes. Thanks for still considering this question which seems oldschool...except if you're about to buy a second hand Kuro tv in 2013. ;-) E.

D

Deleted member 2457

enerkhan said:
Hi BigBoss and others, this is a very interesting discussion, and relevant to me. I'm thinking about buying my friend's Pioneer Kuro 428-xd television. It seems that some years ago this Kuro series was considered the very best of the day. Now I wonder about just one thing indeed: if this tv is "HD Ready" does this mean that it cannot play bu-rays ? I understand from the above discussion that HD Ready means that the TV can handle HD signals so that should be fine then. My profile: I'm just an average film lover. I want splendid coloration and contrast in the picture, no ghosting or clouding or the likes. I'm no gamer and I don't kick on having a pixel refinement that almost hurts the eyes. Thanks for still considering this question which seems oldschool...except if you're about to buy a second hand Kuro tv in 2013. ;-) E.

It can play Blu-rays, and plays them very well! My dad has the Pioneer 427xd and is still going very strong!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
That Pioneer is "HD Ready" with a resolution of 1024 x 768 (i.e. not a "Full HD" resolution of 1920 x 1080) - it will play Blu-rays fine and will downscale the picture to fit the screen rather than playing them at native resolution. Does this matter? Well, depends what you're going to watch and how much you're paying really - I'm sure that Pioneer will have a fantastic picture with Blu-rays, but it's possible one of the newer TVs might be able to better it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts