andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
bubobubo said:
but to much dust is not good for electronics *scratch_one-s_head*

The only impact dust will have is to act as a heat insulator, and possibly lead to overheating if the dust blocks airways or covers heatsinks in a blanket.

Blowing dust around can lead to noisy pots (volume, balance) if the pots aren't sealed.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have cleaned many amps in the past and I have found the air in a can to be expensive and too weak.

If you have access to a proper airline with 100 psi and a blow gun atachment you can blow the dust and debris, dead flies etc right out of the case work but you have to be sensible with the high pressure so as not to damage anything .

Then use some Servisol super 10 to clean the volume pot and other switches.

I don't think once a year is neccessary, maybe just when it gets obviously dirty which depends on how dusty the environment is .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
I have cleaned many amps in the past and I have found the air in a can to be expensive and too weak.

If you have access to a proper airline with 100 psi and a blow gun atachment you can blow the dust and debris, dead flies etc right out of the case work but you have to be sensible with the high pressure so as not to damage anything .

I don't think once a year is neccessary, maybe just when it gets obviously dirty which depends on how dusty the environment is .

Could the op take the amp to the air pump at the petrol station instead. It will only cost 20p lol

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:

Could the op take the amp to the air pump at the petrol station instead. It will only cost 20p lol

Yes that would do it !

You could probably do two for 20p if you were quick. *biggrin*

Samd

Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:

..ensure you used the right nozzle!!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Samd said:
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:

Yes you will probably need to take your own blowgun to the garage .

They are only £7.75 with free postage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-Pro-AIR-BLOW-GUN-COMPRESSED-AIR-DUSTER-NOZZLE-TOOL-for-AIR-LINE-END-/261834881982?hash=item3cf6933bbe:g:p8wAAOSwstxVHTmf

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
No offence but same as those people who ask "how do I cean noisy pots" or "how do I re-solder an intermittent socket", and so on, those asking the questions are the ones most likely to screw it up on first attempt. If I was you I'd take it someone who has already climbed the learning curve.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
bubobubo said:
Electro said:
Samd said:
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-Pro-AIR-BLOW-GUN-COMPRESSED-AIR-DUSTER-NOZZLE-TOOL-for-AIR-LINE-END-/261834881982?hash=item3cf6933bbe:g:p8wAAOSwstxVHTmf

sorry but i dont ahve garage, i guess bike pump would work

Really?

Stop worrying about it.

You could likely cause damage for no good reason, not clever if you dont have money.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I would not use a high pressure compressors

as some compressors that have not been drained of air each night have some form of water mixed in the air if not drained and as we know water and electricity do not mix plus the fact that the pressure is far to high to use on a amplifier without damaging the amplifier .

best left alone .... better to be safe then sorry .

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I would not use a high pressure compressors

as some compressors that have not been drained of air each night have some form of water mixed in the air if not drained and as we know water and electricity do not mix plus the fact that the pressure is far to high to use on a amplifier without damaging the amplifier .

best left alone .... better to be safe then sorry .

I agree you do have to use a bit of common sense.

I have an air/ water serarator on my compressor that removes most of the moisture, most ampifiers are very robust and it is quite hard to damage them , with the smaller amps that don't weight too much they can be held upside down with the top off and the debris blown out of the case and component board and chassis, it is amazing just how much fluff builds up over the years especially in a convection cooled amp, the ones with cooling fans are even worse!

I have cleaned many different types of amp over many years and have never had a problem but if anyone is unsure they should take it to a qualified repairer to be cleaned and inspected.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have never cleaned inside of a amplifier before never had too

I use a soft cloth to wipe over the units ones a week and put a bit of furniture polish on my speaker cabinets that's all .

i brought myself a woman's makeup brush that's soft to gently take the dust off my speaker driver's and to use on the noobs on the amplifier .

every 12 months tighten the Alan screws on my speaker drivers as they can work loose over time .

if dust is really an issue inside of a amplifier then I would say it's better to get the amplifier serviced then that way the amplifier can be checked over to make sure it's all working correctly and the dust will be removed as part of the service .

Electro said:
Samd said:
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:

Just leave it outside. I'm sure Doris wouldn't mind cleaning the dust off.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
I found the pressure washer on the garage forecourt to be excellent for cleaning amplifiers.

No don't be silly just take the top off and stick it in the shower for 10 mins, the warm water with a smidgen of bodywash is far more effective, any stubborn dirt can be removed with your toothbrush. *biggrin*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Electro said:
Samd said:
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:

Just leave it outside. I'm sure Doris wouldn't mind cleaning the dust off.

Hmmm that might work , just hang it on the washing line and let Doris do the work . *good*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I have never cleaned inside of a amplifier before never had too

I use a soft cloth to wipe over the units ones a week and put a bit of furniture polish on my speaker cabinets that's all .

i brought myself a woman's makeup brush that's soft to gently take the dust off my speaker driver's and to use on the noobs on the amplifier .

every 12 months tighten the Alan screws on my speaker drivers as they can work loose over time .

if dust is really an issue inside of a amplifier then I would say it's better to get the amplifier serviced then that way the amplifier can be checked over to make sure it's all working correctly and the dust will be removed as part of the service .

Good advice .

Most of the amps I have done were over 10 years old that had minor faults such as channel imbalance or crackly volume pots which a good clean has sorted out .

I did clean my old Electro EC4.7 preamp and Aw120 power amp after 12 tears of use ( seriously *yes3*) with very positive results, apart from the wife moaning about me not cleaning the shower properly afterwards and the air line left on the bathroom floor . *wink*

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
bubobubo said:
i have not check(open my amp) but i think is better to use a bike pump *man_in_love* than blowing with my mouth, i mean air from the pump is sure with less moist *biggrin*

...and there was me putting hifi inflation down to Brexit.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
Buy a Rega or similar. No vents, no dust!

Or an amp with vents but seal it inside a plastic bag?

I could be onto something there, I bet there'd be a few suckers who could be convinced that their amps sound better inside a "Gazaudio acoustic polybag"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts