100hz does it do what it says on the tin?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm currently looking at getting a 40"-42" set either Plasma or LCD. I'm not too up on this stuff to be honest and finding reviews that I feel I can trust can be tricky, looks like I should have been buying What HI-FI all along :)

Anyway, I had been drawn towards the Toshiba Regza 42Z3030D LCD and one of the main reasons for this is the 100hz processing - which I had been told completely eliminates any judder as the picture pans, is there any truth to this?

the other set I am interested in is the Panasonic TH42PZ70B Plasma which I have seen reviewed and one of the cons was judder whilst trying to view PS3 1080p/24 and this is one of the main reasons I want a 1080p set, is that correct?

It concerns me that I've not seen the Tosh really get a mention anywhere as being one of the top sets, but I do like the design and it seems to come very feature heavy and I'm never sure for example if it was even entered in any awards categories in 2007?!

As regards to the Panasonic I'm confused as to why the PZ700 costs more money and is a newer set and yet most people/websites seem to rate it not as good as the PZ70?

There's an offer on a website at the moment to get the PZ70 for £899 delivered but it ends tomorrow, so should I get it ordered today or is there another 40"-42" you'd recommend in that same (sort of) price range?

any help you can offer would be much appreciated, cheers.

A

Anonymous

Anyone at all?!!! Offer ends today so I've got two hours to make my mind up, sorry to rush you
emotion-10.gif

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
Seeing as you're rushed, how about a short answer? Having seen the 47in version of this set, which had the same 100Hz technology, struggle with fast motion, it's fair to say that this is not the answer to your motion smearing woes. The normal caveat applies - we haven't seen the model in question, so wouldn't say for certain, but it's fair to say a company crowing about 100Hz technology does not guarantee silky smooth motion.

In terms of the deal you've found on the Panasonic - we like that set a lot. Both the full HD plasma, the TH-PZ70 and the HD-Ready TH-PX70 are excellent. The latter won our Award thanks to the cheaper price tag, but both sets are worthy buys and are as happy as any set dealing with 1080p/24fps - even if downscaling it (in the case of the 'PX)!

A

Anonymous

i know what you mean with the slight stutter seen in panning shots in hd , and am interested to know what the what hifi team think are the best of the tvs that dont suffer from this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts