$1,000 HDMI Cable!? - Review

Wendle

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Anyone care to differ?

https://youtu.be/Zgy5fX-VPCs

"The Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI Cable is probably the best thing we've ever seen come through the office..."

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Good to see this kind of rediculous nonsense. It must make some question the value of foo-foo cables etc. The Amazon reviews for these kind of products can be amusing - non actual purchased ofcourse. :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
$200 for a 1 metre long one on Amazon.com.

I use Audioquest Chocolates for my BDP and PC to DVR to TV connections.

A mere snip at $100 for the same 1 metre length, $140 for 2 metres.

And yes, good HDMI cables, especially good HDMI cables with good end plugs, do make a difference, especially with 4K, HDR, cherry-on-the-top stuff, and more especially the plugs and how they're attached to the cables, rather than the strands of copper or silver or pure unobtainium in between.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My 1m HDMI cables are made by Belkin and cost about £5 each. (Three of them for BDP, PVR and Apple TV3.)

I spend this much to ensure I get a cable that meets all the necessary industry standards.

Nice firm fit and reasonably flexible, so there is no excessive mechanical 'strain' on the sockets.

abacus

Good quality connectors, (Gold plated with full strain relief) and a cable that complies with the industry standards, is all that you need, (Which as mentioned can be picked up for a fiver) and anything else is just complete bull, however as a lot of Hi-Fi (Home Cinema) nuts are usually quite gullible, it’s hardly surprising that manufactures take advantage of this trait.

Bill

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:
Good quality connectors, (Gold plated with full strain relief) and a cable that complies with the industry standards, is all that you need, (Which as mentioned can be picked up for a fiver) and anything else is just complete bull, however as a lot of Hi-Fi (Home Cinema) nuts are usually quite gullible, it’s hardly surprising that manufactures take advantage of this trait.

Bill

I tried el cheapo HDMI cables when I got my first 4k TV.
The picture was blurry, motion was juddery, and the colours dull.
Maybe it was just because the cable ran through the spaghetti explosion at the back of my cabinet and the more expensive ones I now use are shielded, I don't know.
But the Chocolates are the mid price in the range, if that. The "Vodka" and "Carbon" ones cost about $170 for a one metre run, the "Coffee" is a whopping $500 a metre!
And yes, retailers do make all their profits on the cables and extended warranties. That's why the sticker prices of the TVs are so low.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
And, equally, there are an awful lot of snake oil salesmen out there ready and willing to part fools from their money.
Speaking of oil, the new and improved version of my patent Speaker Oil will be packaged and ready for shipment at the end of the month...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
RodhasGibson said:
+1 so do I,they are first class cables in every way.Have also used their Forest Cables in thepast.

I bought an Audioquest Forest 0.75m Toslink - 3.5mm mini-optical cable for £25 because it was exactly the right length and had the exact connectivity that I required and because it was thin and neat and 'disappeared' nicely.

It was a bit extravagent - nice as a 'thing' and ergonomically spot-on - but made precisely no detectable audible difference to me. That wasn't why I bought it and I wouldn't expect a difference.

For audio connection between the DAC and the TV (and audio between the TV and ATV3) I use Belkin 1m Toslink cables that cost just over a fiver each.

So I am not averse to the occasional 'boutique' cable, but only on grounds of connectivity/length/convenience/looks etc. and not for audible reasons.

I also have a 'thing' about MK plugs. Ergonomically and in terms of connection integrity they are superb. As far as 'audible improvements' are concerned? Absolutely none. Gotta be honest, I use them where possible because I like them as good plugs, not as audible tweaks.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
When I choose any item,the most important features for me are Build Quality,Performance,engineering excellence, and Looks.Then I am satisfied I have value for money and reliability etcetc.The Reason iThings and Panasonic
wink_smile.gif
are prominent among my Kit.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
An old Mini will get you to Lidl and back for a can of beans.
A Bentley will get you to Fortnum & Mason for a jar of caviar.
It all depends on your budget and what you like to put on your toast.
If there is a rip-off brand over here, it's surely Monstrous (ahem). Big fat cables but plugs on the end held on by chewing gum. Sold at Worst buy (ahem), at exorbitant prices, naturally.

(All names changed to deflect the libel lawyers).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
An old Mini will get you to Lidl and back for a can of beans. A Bentley will get you to Fortnum & Mason for a jar of caviar. It all depends on your budget and what you like to put on your toast.

You don't go to Fortnums to fetch the caviar yourself! That's what tourists do.

Get your s#dding people to do that kind of petty nonsense for you!

What's the point of having 'people' otherwise?

(You do know that Fortnums deliver right?)

What is 'Lidl'?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
An old Mini will get you to Lidl and back for a can of beans. A Bentley will get you to Fortnum & Mason for a jar of caviar.

The old Mini will probably get you to Fortnum & Mason just as well, and will be a damn sight easier when it comes to parking (which is a nightmare in St James's)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts