£600-800 budget for big bass intergrated?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="marcymarc555"][quote user="fergs"][quote user="Wild Willy"][quote user="the record spot"][quote user="Wild Willy"]Nad amps are famous for their bass. I've found Marantz amps to have very deep bass too, plus their tone controls are excellent - tweaking the bass really does just tweak the bass and doesn't muddy the whole sound.[/quote]

If tone controls are important to you, check by all means; my 6010 doesn't need them for my ears and I used to be a near committed fan of them. That said, their amps not long after this started to include them again - the 7200 is feature laden and I think the PM4001 had them at the entry level. Anything from them from the mid-90s to 2001 probably didn't though.[/quote]

I'm just saying about the tone controls because he thinks most modern hifi is bass-shy. With Marantz amps you can turn the bass up a bit without really destroying the sound. Nad tone controls are rubbish IMO (if you use them).[/quote]

i think he needs to add more in the speaker dept, he wont get what he is looking for through the tone controls, i have a new nad amp and their bass is more refined than previous models...if he wants to feel like he is at a rave then the addition of a sub is the way to go imo......

how about a power cord upgrade anyone ; ][/quote]

Im pretty sure that the sound im after is available with out the use of a sub, i was listning to big bass hifi years ago when no one used subs so i know its possible somehow.

My neighbour also has the pioneer a400 and that thing kicks....big time, regardless of speakers in most cases. We call it the thug amp lol

Why is new hifi so rubbish at bass at bass, the top end sound/treble has come on leaps and bounds over the years but bass has took a flop , i really cant understand it .

[/quote]

The British hifi sound has always been rather light on the bass compared to the yanks and the japs. Perhaps you should try a Krell amp.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Wild Willy"][quote user="fergs"][quote user="Wild Willy"][quote user="the record spot"][quote user="Wild Willy"]Nad amps are famous for their bass. I've found Marantz amps to have very deep bass too, plus their tone controls are excellent - tweaking the bass really does just tweak the bass and doesn't muddy the whole sound.[/quote]

If tone controls are important to you, check by all means; my 6010 doesn't need them for my ears and I used to be a near committed fan of them. That said, their amps not long after this started to include them again - the 7200 is feature laden and I think the PM4001 had them at the entry level. Anything from them from the mid-90s to 2001 probably didn't though.[/quote]

I'm just saying about the tone controls because he thinks most modern hifi is bass-shy. With Marantz amps you can turn the bass up a bit without really destroying the sound. Nad tone controls are rubbish IMO (if you use them).[/quote]

i think he needs to add more in the speaker dept, he wont get what he is looking for through the tone controls, i have a new nad amp and their bass is more refined than previous models...if he wants to feel like he is at a rave then the addition of a sub is the way to go imo......

True, bigger speakers and a better amp etc but I've lost track of the number of people who spend thousands trying to get big bass (at lower volumes) when cheap bookshelf speakers and a cheap amp with a loudness button used to do it years ago for peanuts! :)[/quote]

mate ive been wanting to say that for ages, you really have hit the nail on the head there chap :)

A

Anonymous

with a £6-800 budget go the 'used' route and sort out a nad c540 amp and some jbl floorstanders, you will get more clout for your money that way, if you dont want a sub...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="marcymarc555"]
Hi there ,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a really good amplifier with loads of bass for a budget of £600-800

I know i keep asking about components with bass all the time, but im finding modern day hifi is very very bass shy compared to older equipment.

thankyou

[/quote]

hi mate........this is exactly the reason why i use a second cd player going through my 6 channel mixer. smooth r'n'b or electro/house tunes have plenty of bass and i play them on the cd31 going straight into the pre-amp. i have a denon cd recorder that has decent playback, especially after it has gone through the beautiful sounding mixer, where i can pump up the bass/mid/treble accordingly for melodic rock songs that would have been bass shy going thru the primare pre-amp alone. i put a radiohead cd on when i was demo'ing and it sounded awful......in comparison to other genres of music i was testing.......but thru the 6 channel mixer and then into the power amps, it sounds perfect. you may have no dj/mixer inclinations, but just wanted to mention it as another possibility. of course......a true hi-fi sound will not be achieved thru a dj mixer, no matter how good it is, but for certain bands/genres it can actually make it sound better.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Firstly: Maybe older equipment was too bass heavy (considered 'warm' to many) and newer gear has a better all-round balance. To my ears there's nothing worse than hearing mostly bass booming over everything else. YMMV.

Secondly: Modern digital recording has almost entirely replaced analogue. This tends to be brighter IMO if most CDs are anything to go by. There is still a trend to saturate recordings so there is less dynamic range. Thankfully, schemes like TurnMeUp.org are redressing the balance (literally).

Thirdly: Whether we like it or not, our hearing deteriorates as we get older, so we simply do not hear the frequency extremes. This was demonstrated to me recently when I played a test CD to my teenage daughter (as you do). On the frequency sweep track she could hear the low tone several seconds before me and continued to hear the high tone well after I could no longer hear it.

[quote user="marcymarc555"][quote user="fergs"][quote user="Wild Willy"][quote user="the record spot"][quote user="Wild Willy"]Nad amps are famous for their bass. I've found Marantz amps to have very deep bass too, plus their tone controls are excellent - tweaking the bass really does just tweak the bass and doesn't muddy the whole sound.[/quote]

Im pretty sure that the sound im after is available with out the use of a sub, i was listning to big bass hifi years ago when no one used subs so i know its possible somehow.

My neighbour also has the pioneer a400 and that thing kicks....big time, regardless of speakers in most cases. We call it the thug amp lol

Why is new hifi so rubbish at bass at bass, the top end sound/treble has come on leaps and bounds over the years but bass has took a flop , i really cant understand it .

[/quote]

T

the record spot

We've all missed the point guys. There is one answer that WILL cure this problem.

CERWIN VEGA! You can't use lower case for these guys, they do loud, loud and none more loud in style. Any company that uses Iron Maiden albums to try out their new kit only has one thing in mind!

CER1001t.jpg

(It's just a big bad news beastie!)

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="the record spot"]We've all missed the point guys. There is one answer that WILL cure this problem.

CERWIN VEGA! You can't use lower case for these guys, they do loud, loud and none more loud in style. Any company that uses Iron Maiden albums to try out their new kit only has one thing in mind!

CER1001t.jpg

(It's just a big bad news beastie!)[/quote]

Wedding receptions and birthday parties? :0)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="marcymarc555"]Can anyone point me in the direction of a really good amplifier with loads of bass for a budget of £600-800[/quote]

cyrus 8. To much of it if anything.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="the record spot"]We've all missed the point guys. There is one answer that WILL cure this problem.

CER1001t.jpg

(It's just a big bad news beastie!)[/quote]

lol crazy speakers, a bit of an old skool boom box look ,

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Not a fan of Cambridge but you have a 340a at the moment?[/quote]

Thats correct, only had it a four months, never auditioned it ....but hey what can you expect for £150

Blainetoner

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Have you heard the Roksan Kandy MkIII? Mighty meaty with the right partners...
[/quote]

I have just bought one one on ebay........what speakers would you recommend to go with it??

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
yep i agree with others on here and that is years ago hifi sounded warmer and bassier than today.....ive listened to new speakers over the past 5/7 years and they have all gone into a high range mid range battle which often comes across as harsh and thin in the top end (same with the amps too).. I see floorstanding speakers sporting TWO bass drivers and a midrange and tweeter but carn't help thinking to myself "but wheres the bass ?'...Pehaps its because speaker cones are smaller today..Going back 10 years and more most cones were 200mm diameter, bit like car engines you need the cubic inches to get proper 'grunt'....So the NAD c355bee described as 'more refined in the bass' do you mean its bass is now tighter but thinner sounding than say those of late 1990's early 2000?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts