£400 or so for a BD player.....................but what?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

I personally like the Sony, also don't forget richer sounds will price match with internet prices.
emotion-21.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It doesn't decode the HD Audio formats, so you'll need your receiver to handle those - unlike some Blu-ray players that can decode the formats before passing onto your receiver. As in most cases a suitable receiver will do a better job than the player, this isn't necessarily a bad thing...

EDIT -here's a rear shot of the Denon, which shows its simplicity:

denondvd2500.jpg

A

Anonymous

Ahh i see, thanks for helpfull insight Claire. Most people spending this sort of money on a Blu-ray player would surely have a decent AVR anyway.

So what play gives the best picture under 1000 pounds?

New players a dropping at the end of the year i assume. Quite possible to pick up an old bargin soon :)

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
So.......................

It seems that the LG 390 has the best PQ in my short test, bit of a challenge really as I had expected the Sony 760 to reign supreme

And what of SQ still, or do all players have to adhere to the standards of Dolby and DTS and use the same chip sets for decoding, thus setting a minimum standard?

RS are also keen on the Cambridge 650 (obviously) can't see it on PQ though, what of SQ etc?

Now all of a dither...................what to do next?

A

Anonymous

fayeanddavid:

So.......................

It seems that the LG 390 has the best PQ in my short test, bit of a challenge really as I had expected the Sony 760 to reign supreme

And what of SQ still, or do all players have to adhere to the standards of Dolby and DTS and use the same chip sets for decoding, thus setting a minimum standard?

RS are also keen on the Cambridge 650 (obviously) can't see it on PQ though, what of SQ etc?

Now all of a dither...................what to do next?

As I have previously said I found SQ between the Pioneer 320 and the Denon I eventually bought to be jawdropping , it allowed my Z7 to finally do the Dolby and DTS decoding as well. I was using a FAT PS3 before the upgrade.

So to recap Z7 amp , 2 different players significant difference in sound between the two , PQ not much in it.

This months blind test in What HiFi also found SQ to be the most significant between HDMI cables

What to do next............... Demo Demo Demo let your eyes and ears judge

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Easy peasy to demo PQ, not so easy for SQ though, also
having to transfer by LPCM over HDMI, seems that previous advice was that all
should be OK with SQ and PQ was the deal

No way I can demo SQ in store, but is it sense to work on
the premise that something like the Cambridge 650 will out gun the LG 390/Sony
760 in terms of SQ performance?

Seems as if I may have to persuade RS to allow me to demo
two at home and then return one!

As regards HDMI, I also subscribe to the notion that not
all HDMI cables are equal, and have evidenced this when moving up from Nordost
to Chord in terms of PQ, so to me it makes sense that SQ should improve also

A

Anonymous

fayeanddavid:Easy peasy to demo PQ, not so easy for SQ though, also having to transfer by LPCM over HDMI, seems that previous advice was that all should be OK with SQ and PQ was the deal

No way I can demo SQ in store, but is it sense to work on the premise that something like the Cambridge 650 will out gun the LG 390/Sony 760 in terms of SQ performance?

Seems as if I may have to persuade RS to allow me to demo two at home and then return one!

As regards HDMI, I also subscribe to the notion that not all HDMI cables are equal, and have evidenced this when moving up from Nordost to Chord in terms of PQ, so to me it makes sense that SQ should improve also

If you can get your shortlist on home demo over a weekend I would defo recommend that, then you can take your time , with your own equipment and your own room , so much better than a dem room

My local Sevenoaks were excellent in this regard just paid a deposit for both machines

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Decision made.......................

Not going for a "better" player viz; Sony 760, Cambridge 650, Panasonic 85!

Getting the new Sony 370 as a starter for now (£105.00 @ RS inc trade in, bargain), to enjoy Blu Ray PQ, will upgrade once the new traunch of players have hit the market and settled down.....................thinking January Sales believe it or not!

SQ may be compromised in the short term but that's OK as it will give me time to properly evaluate ready for the next steps

Couple of That Cable HDMI leads and "job's a good'un" as they say.

robstar63

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Hasvent read through all the previous entries so sorry if I am repeateing old news

The Pioneer LX52 is available at Superfi for £299.00 inc free delivery. This started off at about £500.00 I think. This was apparently noticeably better than the 320

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts