£1k to spend on decent seperates

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

After years of buying all in one systems I want to spend some cash on some seprates.

I want;

Amp and seperate CD player

Good sound (obviously)

Not floor standing speakers

A turntable

Airplay on the amp would be good but not essential

Going on the reviews how does this shopping list look?

Marantz PM6004 and CD6004 (£549 @ hifi confidential)

Pro-ject Genie 3 (£200 @ Peter Tyson)

Kef Q300 (£449 @ Sevenoaks)

£200 over budget so any way to trim £'s and not quality would be welcome!

Thanks

A

Anonymous

forgot to say it's for quite a large kitchen / dining / family area with tiled floors, just in case that affects speaker choice.

Rick1979

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Could'nt possibly recommend anything particular except buy second hand. I spent nearly 1k on brand new amp, cd and speakers.

Cambridge audio 550a, 550c and MA br2 brand new 2 years = £900 and disappointed and sold on.

Alpha 9 amp, rotel 965bx and MA rs6 bought second hand which cost me just under £600 and now very happy.

Rick1979

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Could'nt possibly recommend anything particular except buy second hand. I spent nearly 1k on brand new amp, cd and speakers.

Cambridge audio 550a, 550c and MA br2 brand new 2 years = £900 and disappointed and sold on.

Alpha 9 amp, rotel 965bx and MA rs6 bought second hand which cost me just under £600 and now very happy.

A

Anonymous

Good shopping list so far. If you did wanna save some cash buy the Kef's direct from Kef. At the moment when you sign up to their online store you get a £50 voucher. Magic!

Just purchased a pair of Q300 myself for a Marantz PM6004. Can't wait.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm biased as this is exactly one of the set ups I have, and I put it together for peanuts:

Onkyo TX-8050 - £349 at superfi, but has been cheaper and might be if you look around (think play.com had it as low as £250 not so long ago).

Marantz CD 63 KI - second hand bargain, one on ebay, buy it now £149 - seems an OKish price, I got mine for a lot less by waiting, have a look around!

Mission 751 - again, second hand. Got mine with decent stands for £90.

That comes in at less than £600, considerably so if you take your time looking at ebay, gumtree etc. Which leaves you plenty left over for a turntable, cables etc. Or buying a stack of music.

To these admittedly heathen ears, it's a fantastic sounding set up - I listen to a vast selection of music: metal, folk, dub, electronica, vocal, blah blah blah.

If you're not bothered about the connectivity that something like the Onkyo brings to the table, a second hand Pioneer A400 would swap into this set up nicely (I have one and it does).

That's all if you don't mind going second hand of course.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Geoggy said:
Hi there,

After years of buying all in one systems I want to spend some cash on some seprates.

I want;

Amp and seperate CD player

Good sound (obviously)

Not floor standing speakers

A turntable

Airplay on the amp would be good but not essential

Going on the reviews how does this shopping list look?

Marantz PM6004 and CD6004 (£549 @ hifi confidential)

Pro-ject Genie 3 (£200 @ Peter Tyson)

Kef Q300 (£449 @ Sevenoaks)

£200 over budget so any way to trim £'s and not quality would be welcome!

Thanks

I can vouch for the Q300's, great speakers, bought mine off ebay for £300. Personally I would probably look at used equipment, you will get far better value for money.

TRENDING THREADS