£1500 speaker demos

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
after completing the redecorations to the hallway. I was allowed to continue my journey

After a long drive, I was able to try the Harbeth P3ser and Sonus Faber Venere 1.5, These were both recommended by a delear who listened to my comments on my previous demos.

Firstly, the Harbeth. The reviews I had read gave me hope that this would give me the balance I prefer, and on first listening I was really impressed. They really are small, but they filled the room easily. The mid range vocals and guitar were brilliant. They picked out fine details with real precision, There was more bass than a box that small should produce, but it was much less than the B&W/kef and slightly less than the twenty21. The treble was more controlled and less overpowering than the others. On balance, I preferred it to the previous speakers.

Next up was the SF Venere. It is visually appealing even though it's the cheapest of their range. I wasn;t expecting too much, as it's also significantly cheaper than everything I listened to. Compared to the Harbeth, it lacked a touch of detail but it gave a richness/warmth that was superior to my ears. It gave good placement of individual instruments, a touch more bass than the Harbeth but without the overload of th B&w. It just 'felt right'.

So, speaker journey over. I bought the cheapest pair I auditioned, and am confident I've got a sound that is more detailed than my old set up but with more scale. I am also confident it produces a sound that will not fatigue me over a sustained time.

For reference; most of the listening was with an LFD IV, but also tried Rega Elex and Sonneteer Alabaster. I had so much fun over 3+hrs, I also bought an amp......that's an other story!!

thanks for views/advice and encouragement.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
moosey said:
Next up was the SF Venere. It is visually appealing even though it's the cheapest of their range. I wasn;t expecting too much, as it's also significantly cheaper than everything I listened to. Compared to the Harbeth, it lacked a touch of detail but it gave a richness/warmth that was superior to my ears. It gave good placement of individual instruments, a touch more bass than the Harbeth but without the overload of th B&w. It just 'felt right'.

They are very nice and IMO underrated speakers. I think they suffer from comparison with the old SFs, e.g. the Electa Amators, which attract astronomically high praise. Probably the Veneres don't compare too well with the Amators, but that still leaves them room to beat a lot of the competition.

I hope you have lots of fun with your new speakers.

*drinks*

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Sorry it did not mean to come across like that and i saw after he had got them my appologies. Getting too enthusiastic.

Sorry, it was a bit harsh of me. Everyone here knows you are a thoroughly decent chap, and it's quite understandable to get a bit enthusiastic, especially after you've put in all the hard yards with the speaker build.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers It has been hard work, though there is no excuse, no malice intended.

I hope next year I can persuade Ivan at IPL to do the Sound and Vision show with me, if its not silly money. And we can reach people in a conventional way. As usual its money that holds thing back.

Once again my appologies.

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
If I'd been after a floorstander then I would have made the trench to IQ without a doubt. I am intrigued and impressed with his journey. I would also have been keen to hear the abrahamsen ........

Mr Boggit's posts strike me as enthusiastic and informative but I acknowledge being a retailer brings other issues to the forum. I value his ideas in the same way I always find daveharvey and musicraft interesting and relevant.

Anyway I found my choice of amp as I was trying to explain to the lovely dealer why I wasn't quite happy with the various ones I had tried. He then plugged in a croft integrated........ It was the answer!

So final solution was a croft with sonus Faber. Neither on my initial list but the journey was worth it, and I can't wait for delivery. And it was cheaper then the shortlist I started with.

Radlett Audio was a hell of a drive for me, but the results were brilliant.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The integrated is a bit 'hair shirt' but a fabulous sounding amplifier.

I have sung it's praises on here many times, match with the right speakers and it is the best sub £1000 amp I have heard.

If my next system was passive, unlikely, I would use this with a spotify Connect streamer, preset the Croft and use the volume in Spotify.

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
The integrated is a bit 'hair shirt' but a fabulous sounding amplifier.

I have sung it's praises on here many times, match with the right speakers and it is the best sub £1000 amp I have heard.

If my next system was passive, unlikely, I would use this with a spotify Connect streamer, preset the Croft and use the volume in Spotify.

I was suprised by the sound; I liked the sound of the LFD but couldn't really justify the cost. I could tell it sounded fuller and more detailed than the Elex, but not enough to make it worth spending the additional money. At that point I asked 'what do you have that sounds better but isn't so expensive?'

The croft sounded richer, fuller and more detailed than the Elex (and the alabaster tried at the same time) and the combination with the SF Venere easily beat my experience of the Elicit and Twenty21.

Mr Radlett assured me that he sells more Crofts than anything else; it's just a question of getting people to listen and if they do they will normally choose one.

As you suggested, I will be using a sonos connect to give me the ability to use a 'remote'.

Didn't really think of myself as a hair shirt kind of music man; but hey perhaps i've discovered my true self at 48!

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think you made a brave, interesting and musical choice...by trusting a good dealer and your ears. Good job.

thanks....

I did find the support/advice on here helpful and reading about other peoples experiences made me more determined to find a solution I was really happy with. Otherwise, i might just have chosen 'the best on show' in the first shop rather than persevering until I was guided to a choice that was a better match for me as an individual.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
No you haven't Steve! Moosey thanks for your understanding. The Croft is also one of those brands that punches well above its weight and takes effort and a leap of faith to try. Which is part of my frustration in how little brands that can offer more are not heard. Which I suppose is completely natural. Enjoy your new system and I hope it brings you many happy hours listening.

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
As promised the speakers arrived within a week but the Croft took a few weeks 'to build'. I chose a 'one pot' amplifier, as I thought the dual volume controls would be the final straw with the boss. I connected the SF Venere to my old marantz amp, and i knew straight away why I chose them. Good detail but still slightly warm, detailed treble with no harshness and decent bass without boom.

The only problem was the SF had a 1inch scratch 'within' the top glass surface. This must have been done in assembly. Being a lovely high gloss black, with black glass top, the silver scratch stuck out like a sore thumb. It turned out to be the last pair of gloss black in the country, so it took a further month to get a replacement. The dealer was very supportive in hassling the suppliers, and to be fair to the distributors they did supply a loan pair of gloss white speakers whilst mine were being examined by SF.

Anyway, the new ones arrived this week, so i am finally sorted. The sound is just what I was after; and I'm thrilled I got the result well under my original maximum budget. The croft might not be the sexiest looking beast, but it is feels solid and sounds like all the money has been spent on delivering a great sound. No frills, just engaging and musical.

Hopefully, this set up will last as long as my last (20yrs), and i certainly have no feelings envy towards anything else i could have afforded.

As most of you advised me last year; get out there and listen...reviews only get you so far and nothing can replace the experience of listening with your own ears.

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
Well done, sir!

I really like the SFs, and I wish more people would get to hear them. I hope they give you lots of pleasure.

*music2*

thanks

i must admit that the damaged first set did worry/surprise me, but the way in which I finally got the second set did restore my faith in the brand. They certainly deliver the sound I like, and I do find it a little strange that their 'entry' range isn't reviewed/commented on more often as I think they offer good value for money.

enough rambling; time for a rum and some music

*drinks*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts