£1500 speaker demos

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

a brief(ish) summary of my demos so far. Had a great day at two local stores, and now planning a trip further afield to try alternatives.

demo1 amps Roksan K3 and MF 3si / speakers B&W cm6s2 and Dali Rubicon2

Comparing the amps, the K3 had a bigger soundstage, wider than the speakers. The MF sounded muted in comparison; almost muffled. I suppose in isolation, the MF was ok, but swapping between the two was obvious and the scale increased when the K3 was used. The only niggle was both amps lacked a bit of pace with a couple of tracks; removing a touch of the passion/aggression from those two songs. This affect was noticable with both amps and both speakers.

The CM6 were very reveailing and clear. I heard things on my test cd that I had never picked up on before, and it introduced new interest to some tracks. The bass was deep, the treble was sparkling but not harsh. However, the balance was not right for me. It was as if the bass and inparticular the treble had both been given a tweak; almost as if a 'loudness' button was on. After an hour of listening, the amount of treble was tiring (not shrill, but just too much)

The Dali were not on my list, but the dealer was keen to show them. Almost as much detail as the CMs, but a more neutral bass and treble. Both bass and treble were there, but just a fraction less 'upfront' and therefore more listenable over a period of time.

Straight off to demo 2

amps Cyrus8dac, Elicit and Elex/ speakers B&X CM6 (again to help comparisons), R300 and Twenty21

Amps. The cyrus was good, but lacked a little bit of the richness of the Regas. It wasn't particularly more revealing or particulalry 'thin', so I wouldnt class it as night/day but it wasn't quite warm enough for me. All three amps improved on the 'attack/passion' issue I noted at the first session, with the Elicit being the best. Other than this extra pace on certain tracks, I'm not sure the Elicit sounded twice the price of the Elex.

Speaker; at this point i should say that all of them showed a reduced sound stage compared to my morning session; so was that due to changing from roksan to Rega or was it because the room was a bit bigger/different?

Anyway; CM6; my morning reservations were replicated. There was a touch too much bass and treble. The mid range still good, but too tiring over an hour.

R300 sounded clear and perhaps a slightly bigger sound than the CM6 in this room. Again i would say that the two exremes of bass and treble were too pronouced again.

Twenty21; seemed a much more natural sound. Bass was there but less 'in your face' compared to the other two. The treble was present, but at a volume more inline with the rest of the sound. My reservation with these was that the soundstage was definately smaller than the Dalis, but that was a different room.

I want the soundstage of the morning with the dynamics of the morning. I think I might return to try the Tweny21 and Rega in a smaller room to see if the soundstage inproves. If not, I suppose my current favourite would be the Dali.

My next trip is to try a P3ESR and Twenty21 with Elicit/Alabaster and LFD.

hope I havent bored you

mike

I really don't have the patience to do what you are doing, strange as I will spend multiple hours reading posts like yours and others.

I find them very interesting, and probably use the information to help me when I come to buy products myself. I'm sure many more will find your thoughts very helpful too.

I honestly don't think I'd make a right decision in an audition.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
It's interesting that you are seeing differences between the Amps you are listening to.

There are those on here that would have you believe that all SS Amps sound the same for the same volume level.

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
It's interesting that you are seeing differences between the Amps you are listening to.

There are those on here that would have you believe that all SS Amps sound the same for the same volume level.

yep, i have set myself up for some criticisms
tounge_smile.gif
, but the MF3si to K3 really was night and day. As far as the pace from the Elicit; it was more subtle but all three of us agreed. The only thing from the K3 session that bothered me was the lack of aggression in Mr Costello's voice, and it did reappear on the Regas. It is a track i've listened to frequently over 38 yrs and the subtle difference was there for my ears.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Wow reminded of Matt49's road trip

That's an interesting list you have my suggestion would be to pick an amplifier in your price range and then take it with you for demos. The Sonneteer and the Harbeth's was on my shortlist to. I ended up with a Sugden A21SE.

matthewpiano

One option worth considering if you can get a demo, would be the Denon PMA-1520AE amp. Denon amps are beautifully built and engineered, and while they tend to get overlooked because of Regas and Roksans etc., they are every bit as good. Worth a try anyway!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Good luck on you travels, moosey. It's a lot of faff and inconvenience, but well worth it in the end.

What you say about the Dalis rings true to me, though I haven't heard that particular model.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

It all depends on what mains cable you are using.

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the additional advice; if nothing grabs me at the next demo I might extend my search list as suggested. Maybe by then IQ will have a standmount to try
devil_smile.gif

At least I've struck off B&W, Kef, Cyrus8 and MF3si from my list.

thanks

mike

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Interesting read, Mike!

From your todo list, I'm curious what you think of LFD. Is it the Zero Mk IV you're gonna demo? I heard it with Harbeth speakers (the P3ESR you mention, but also the Monitor 30 and the SHL5), and IME they work wonderfully well together!

When is your next mission scheduled?

rainsoothe

Infiniteloop said:

Hah! Indeedy :)

They probably don't believe in tone controls either - how can everything sound the same if stuff can be voiced differently?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I have been on a similar demo spree over the last few years so know what your going through.

I just wanted to give you my 2 cents.
Due to your comments regarding amps and speakers. For speakers a home test or demo is very important as they can sound totaly different in tour house.

Ive got kef r series but when i first heard them i also thought the bass and midrange was very sort of in your face but at my home they are not so my advice would be first choose an amp
That you like then audition speakers in the same or slightly higher price range as the amp.
Hope that helps

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Interesting selection of equipment, are you choosing what combinations to listen too or are these recommendations from the dealers?

Just wondering.......*unknw*

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
hi dave

i suppose i started with the max i could realistically afford, and looked at reviews over several months. I used threads like this to gather info, and used WHF reviews. I had some influence based on max size I could realistically fit into the room, and also what my better half could live with. The R300, for example, was a bigger box than I ideally wanted, but I thought I should listen just in case it was the dream sound for me.

I then had to compare my lists with what the two local stores kept. The dealers then added/amended the list according to their views. I would have liked to have tried SCM7/11 but none near by. My planned visit to try the more niche Alabaster and Harbeth are really an attemt to cover the other extreme; ie none mainstream.

At some point I just had to jump in and try, so that's what I've started. I don't know if I'll buy my kit next week or next year...hopefully the former, but I'll know when I hear it. If I asked 10 forum members for their audition list, I would probably get an impossibly long list, and I had to start somewhere,

thanks for any support and advice

mike

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
Interesting read, Mike!

From your todo list, I'm curious what you think of LFD. Is it the Zero Mk IV you're gonna demo? I heard it with Harbeth speakers (the P3ESR you mention, but also the Monitor 30 and the SHL5), and IME they work wonderfully well together!

When is your next mission scheduled?

Yes, Harbeth and LFD are renowned to be a superb match... I too look forward to your thoughts on that combo.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
moosey said:
hi dave

i suppose i started with the max i could realistically afford, and looked at reviews over several months. I used threads like this to gather info, and used WHF reviews. I had some influence based on max size I could realistically fit into the room, and also what my better half could live with. The R300, for example, was a bigger box than I ideally wanted, but I thought I should listen just in case it was the dream sound for me.

I then had to compare my lists with what the two local stores kept. The dealers then added/amended the list according to their views. I would have liked to have tried SCM7/11 but none near by. My planned visit to try the more niche Alabaster and Harbeth are really an attemt to cover the other extreme; ie none mainstream.

At some point I just had to jump in and try, so that's what I've started. I don't know if I'll buy my kit next week or next year...hopefully the former, but I'll know when I hear it. If I asked 10 forum members for their audition list, I would probably get an impossibly long list, and I had to start somewhere,

thanks for any support and advice

mike

Thanks, though I remain a little confused.

You talk about £1500 speakers yet you appear to be auditioning both speakers and amplifiers, now that makes sense in as far as the amplifier/speaker interface is critical but you do not seem to be addressing this issue.

You mention your liking for the Kandy amplifier but are unhappy with the way it handles the bass, perhaps you need to look at pairing it with a more controled, faster speaker, your Roksan dealer should really be able to help here.

If they can not help then I suggest switching your budget slightly, try better amplifiers with, if necessary, less expensive speakers, this often helps with the way the bass is handled, the better amplifier keeping a much tighter grip on the speaker.

I am reluctant to make specific suggestions, partly because my favourite £1000 amplifiers are relatively hard to find and from a more personal viewpoint that better speakers in the £1000+ class deserve altogether better amplification.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Surprised you've not considered actives given you're in the market for and amp and speakers.

Very happy with my Event Opals, great value and no faffing with amp matching and they sound great!

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
bluedroog said:
Very happy with my Event Opals, great value and no faffing with amp matching and they sound great!

Opals are awesome speakers but a pair would be somewhere around to GBP 1,900 (27% over OP's stated budget).

If I were him I spend a few more months saving money and get the Opals though. *biggrin*

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
thanks for adding more ideas to my overcrowed mind
omg_smile.gif

if stage2 demos don't satisfy, then actives may be on the list, but at the moment my list is big/complex enough.

Working solidly for the next couple of weeks, so stage2 will be towards the end of the month

thanks everyone

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
EvPa said:
bluedroog said:

Opals are awesome speakers but a pair would be somewhere around to GBP 1,900 (27% over OP's stated budget).

If I were him I spend a few more months saving money and get the Opals though. *biggrin*

I'm managed to get a pair for £1,800 with not much haggling, I wasn't quite sure if OP was looking at £1,500 for speakers and amp or was in the market for an amp too with additional budget? The Roskan and MF are not cheap and of course with actives you don't need any pwoer amp, just some form of volume control which doesn't have to cost much.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
JMac said:
If only they werent so industrial looking.

Of course it is down to personal taste but I must say they look a lot beter in the flesh and I actually quite like the industrial looks. The finish is quite matte powder like so they actually blend in to my room really well.

They may not look quite as nice as some high wood finishes but A.) you've got to wonder where the production costs go compared to something more function and B.) they look infidently better than the B&W 600 series they replaced which look crude by comparison in terms of build qulaity.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I havent completely written the opels off myself but think visually I'd prefer a traditional wood speaker. I know function should be over appearance but aesthetics cannot be totally written out the equation.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
JMac said:
Yeah, I havent completely written the opels off myself but think visually I'd prefer a traditional wood speaker. I know function should be over appearance but aesthetics cannot be totally written out the equation.

Solution:

1. Buy a pair of Event Opals

2. Paint them. e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esjMZRn4TPg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts