£1000 to spend on turntable.

Divman

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I've moved in with my fiance and she has a rubbish record deck, so we have decided to get a new deck. We have a grand to spend so have been looking at clearer audio concept, the project classic with orfoton black or the new rega planar 3 2016.

Just after peoples advice as I've never had a deck before.

Your thoughts and pros / cons in each would be good as want to get it asap?

Thanks,

Phil

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would get the Pro-ject Classic, regardless, because it looks so cool (especially if you like the old Thorens/AR look).

It's a Pro-ject so it won't be a duffer! I think it's had good reviews.

If you don't care what it looks like (or don't 'get' the Pro-ject Classic's appeal), get the Rega. I think it might be illegal not to.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Definitely the Rega. Pro-ject are good, but they have had problems with motor noise owing to the motor suspension.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
classicwalnut.jpg

If I have enough money i'd seriously consider buying it just to look at :)

Divman

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I went to look at them all tonight and my missus loved the project. It comes with the more expensive cart too.
Thought people would say the concept as it's won loads of awards!

bigfish786 said:
http://www.vickershifi.com//products/mztt15s1/marantz-tt-15s1-hifi-turnt...

http://www.vickershifi.com//products/mztt15s1/marantz-tt-15s1-hifi-turntable-inc-cartridge

the link is just so you can have a look.

Clearaudio build quality and sound with a decent cartridge..

it can be found for under a grand, as I got mine brand new for £925.

basically a plug and play turntable once put together. And sounds fantastic.

The Marantz is indeed another possible option although you might have to look hard for a dealer and to get one under a grand.

Otherwise, like many it would seem, I would go for the Pro-ject Classic for looks and build quality alone.

I would avoid anything with Clearaudio Clarify tonearms, although to be honest, you are unlikely to find them on anything in this price range.

Divman

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I will have to check out the marantz, but the rega and rega phono (£198 one) is looking quite attractive as the deck is finished very nicely. Although the project one looks good in a retro way. Is there that much between all 3 turntables? Or which ever one she picks would be a very good buy?

Divman said:
I will have to check out the marantz, but the rega and rega phono (£198 one) is looking quite attractive as the deck is finished very nicely. Although the project one looks good in a retro way. Is there that much between all 3 turntables? Or which ever one she picks would be a very good buy?

At this level all will do a competent job, a lot of the differences come down to the cartridge fitted, most of it will come down to aestetics.

D

Deleted member 108165

bigfish786 said:
I'm in South Yorkshire if you are anywhere near.

You can have a look and listen.

For the money, I don't think you can go wrong.

I'm in Essex, same deck as bigfish and same audition offer open to you.

Though as Al said you will be hard-pushed to find the Marantz under £1K in the UK, and it doesn't come with a lid *shok* A decent phono stage, (£300+), would be a must with any deck in this price bracket, so maybe lower your sights a little and opt for a cheaper deck, decent phono stage, and a decent cartridge, (Nagoaka's are highly regarded); or be prepared to up your budget.

Divman

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Think it will be the project one as it will fit in with the furniture etc, plus it comes with orfoton black cart.

With the phono it comes to 850 for the turntable and 198 phono.

Do you think I should be able to say 900 pounds all in, or is that being cheeky?

D

Deleted member 108165

Divman said:
Think it will be the project one as it will fit in with the furniture etc, plus it comes with orfoton black cart.

Do you think I should be able to say 900 pounds all in, or is that being cheeky?

Excellent! Are you sure that the Pro-ject comes with a 2M Black as every ad I've seen states 2M Silver as the OE bundled cart?

As for price it's always worth haggling.

DougK said:
Divman said:

Excellent! Are you sure that the Pro-ject comes with a 2M Black as every ad I've seen states 2M Silver as the OE bundled cart?

As for price it's always worth haggling.

It might have the Black fitted as the turntable in standard form with 2M Silver is available for £799, so if it has the Silver it is overpriced.

If the OP is getting phono from the same dealer it is worth haggling but I would doubt they would come down as much as he hopes.. ;-)

However, it's worth seeing if they would chuck in a pair of interconnects from Fono to his amp for free because he's going to need these too.

Divman

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately it did come with the silver for 799!

We listened to the classic and the concept and we all agreed, even the bloke selling us the stuff that the classic blew the concept out of the water!

It pulled up so much more detail, we were surprised by the listening of them all. The concept sounded warmer but duller and the classic you heard things that you couldn't from the other one.

The missus then went all out and bought a record cleaning machine!

Pleased with it at it looks the business, much more old school like my dad's thorens.

Happy days.

Divman said:

We listened to the classic and the concept and we all agreed, even the bloke selling us the stuff that the classic blew the concept out of the water!

It pulled up so much more detail, we were surprised by the listening of them all. The concept sounded warmer but duller and the classic you heard things that you couldn't from the other one.

Pleased with it at it looks the business, much more old school like my dad's thorens.

Happy days.

An excellent choice then. You can always upgrade that cartridge at a later date.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
avole said:
Definitely the Rega. Pro-ject are good, but they have had problems with motor noise owing to the motor suspension.

As you say, have had. Which equates to "don't currently suffer from".

I see you post this same reply on a fairly regular basis. Do you work for Rega ?

;-) ;-)

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Divman said:

Happy days.

An excellent choice then. You can always upgrade that cartridge at a later date.

My current slab came with a 2M Silver. I gave it about a month or so but still found it very bright, a bit too bright for my liking.
I opted for a 2M Black which suits my ears and taste in music a lot better.
Kills the pocket though, even at the price I bought it for !

D

Deleted member 108165

brownz said:
Al ears said:

My current slab came with a 2M Silver. I gave it about a month or so but still found it very bright, a bit too bright for my liking.I opted for a 2M Black which suits my ears and taste in music a lot better.Kills the pocket though, even at the price I bought it for !

Should have gone for a Nag MP300 or 500 instead *biggrin* My 2M Black is currently relegated to a drawer gathering dust! Nags rule *dance4*

plastic penguin said:
Purely on looks alone the Pro-Ject Classic looks the dogs. I might have a butchers later today, as I'm passing through Epsom I might check one out at SSAV.

The only fly in the ointment is the Ortofon cartridge. Not keen on their stuff.

Unfortunately my thoughts also particularly at the cheap end of their range. Whilst the Black is an obvious improvement I found I preferred the Bronze. However, at the end of the day the OP got the Black, which in my opinion could have been bettered for the cost of that thing.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
brownz said:
Al ears said:

My current slab came with a 2M Silver. I gave it about a month or so but still found it very bright, a bit too bright for my liking.I opted for a 2M Black which suits my ears and taste in music a lot better.Kills the pocket though, even at the price I bought it for !

Should have gone for a Nag MP300 or 500 instead *biggrin* My 2M Black is currently relegated to a drawer gathering dust! Nags rule *dance4*

I'm warming to them, I fitted an MP-110 to an old RPM5.2 for a customer last week and was pleasently surprised for the price vs sound.

TRENDING THREADS