£1000.00 for a new tv

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i am looking to replace my TV after a nightmare xmas which now sees my tv needing £300 to put right and i do not see that as an option, so now it has been brought forward slightly i am looking for some advice.

with £1000 to spend i have looked as some nice models and being attracked to the panny th42pz70 if you had the same money to spend what would you go for. i have a tosh HD DVD and a PS3 which where working fine obviously so want to get the best i can on this budget.

thanks

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I think you have answered your own question!

Panasonic is a great choice but others have their own opinion. Panasonic, Samsung & Sony seem to be popular choices amongst the knowledgeable on here.

If you haven't already read them, you could ask for back issues of the WHF magazine and read the reviews then make an informed choice.

I bought the TH42PX70B just recently which was my personal choice given price, size, looks and quality (and most importantly the other half agreed).

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Don't write off the Samsung Plasma PS427Q97HDX-I've had mine since October and paid a paltry £779 at Comet for it.

I can't tell you how please I am with this TV and in a recent review in another mag it pushed the TH42PX70B hard on performance. If watching Standard Definition SKY for example it makes all the difference to have at least a 60CM Dish and good quality LNB as opposed to an infererior standard SKY DISH most have. The standard Definition pictures on my TV are really great, more so with those channels transmitting at a higher bit rates. Watching Top Gear's Polar Expedition last night on BBC2 was simply superb.

However, Feed this TV with mainly a HD diet like SKYHD for example or even with a good quality Upscaling DVD Player like a Denon DVD 1940 and the Picture is quite simply magnificent. OK it's a samsung and many seem to go for Panasonics and Pioneers which I didn't, even after audtioning them and others before I decided on the Samsung.......and I'm glad I did.

You can also now get the TV from Comet for £699.99-It's an HD ready TV and no it doesn't support 1080p or 24 Pfs.....but does that really matter........not to me it doesn't. Besides in 5 years time all TV's will be 1080p and I dare say that broadcasters too will be producing programmes in true HD but for now this is as good as it gets!

£699.00? Cheap and nasty? Heck! No! This is a really good TV and was being sold by John Lewis for £950 inc a 5 year warranty not so long ago. At least go and check it out as I believe too many people are going over the top and getting carried away by all this HD ready Full HD, Blu Ray/HDD stuff.

£699 for a 42inch Plasma and it's a good one

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Tallyho"]was being sold by John Lewis for £950 inc a 5 year warranty[/quote]

Yeah but John Lewis is rubbish. Their prices are too high, and their tvs on display are very poorly set up. In fact, if someone's only experience of high-def and flat screens, blu-ray, etc was from looking in John Lewis they would probably think that it was rubbish. One of the idiots who worked there said to a customer "You are only noticing the imperfections in the image because you are looking for them. If you were just watching a program on tv you wouldn't notice any problems with the image." They did have a Blu-ray player (the old version of the Panasonic one), but were just using it to play an ancient cricket DVD (standard-def of course). I doubt that the Blu-ray player was connected to the tvs via HDMI because they all looked really shoddy.

A

Anonymous

In essence I agree with you Benny Boy! However John Lewis aren't rubbish though perhaps when it comes to seeking the advice of some of their staff, as indeed the same would apply to those in Curry's and Comet, they don't have clue which is why I happen to be someone who takes their time sourcing views and auditioning things before I commit my hard earned money

You can also get this TV which is the same model as PS42Q96HDX in Currys for £899 and without a 5 Year warranty. I myself don't worry about getting warranties as they only serve to bump up the price unecessarily. It was also on the Comet website at one time for £949.00.

All I'm trying to say here is that people don't really need to go crazy just now and spend a small fortune on HD related technology particularly as there's no real uniformity in the industry at present and is unlikely to be for some time. I must confess though SKYHD does seem atttactive given the quality of picture and the box's upscaling ablities. However my only contention is that SKYHD will cost me something like £48.00 a month and then I also have to pay the BBC's rip off licence fee which in my view should be abolished

A

Anonymous

thanks guys, what is the difference between the B version on the panny is there a difference

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts