Your reference discs

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
This subject seems to pop up with some regularety here ... then again, what doesn't.

Keb 'Mo in Keb 'Mo. Because it has it all and I know it well.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
1) Chris Rea's The Road To Hell. Recorded in 1989, not been digitally remastered but has amazing vocals and great driving rhythm;

2) Fleetwood Mac's Tusk for female vocals;

3) Stanton Moore's Groove Alchemy for drumming.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
1. Melody Gardot - "My One & Only Thrill" - excellent album for female vocals, instrument detail and reproduction. Marvellous album with gorgeous vocals and instrumentation.

2. Queen - "Innuendo" - surprisingly poor production in my view: the first track demonstrates the contrasts between excellent acoustic guitar and vocals (middle section) and the horrible mess that is the muddled sound of the drums, backing vocals and other instruments on the rest of the track. If a system can improve what you hear, it has to be good!

3. The Lens - "A Word In Your Eye" - the combination of synth high and bottom end frequencies on the opening track will test a system's ability to cope. There is a good range of acoustic guitar, electric guitar, etc, to demonstrate a system's ability to convey them at their best.

A

Anonymous

1.Propellerheads-Take California

2.Dire Straits-Brothers in arms

3.Stevie Wonder-Superstition

A

Anonymous

1. Newton Faulkner - Hand Built By Robots

2. Katie Melua - The House

3. Jason Mraz - We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things

A

Anonymous

[*]Holst: The Planets / Elgar: Enigma Variations - great for digging out the details
[*]'Technique' by New Order - great for timing and control
[*]'Northern Soul' by M People - good vocals for crispness and clarity

T

the record spot

Joni Mitchell - Night Ride Home
Yes - The Yes Album (original edition, pre-remaster)
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail (US Atco, manufactured in Japan)

Reasons: Three of the best productions I've heard. The mastering side was handled by Joe Gastwirt (Joni Mitchell) and Barry Diament (Yes, Genesis). The truth of it is I could pretty much pick anything mastered by those two and rely on the rest of the collection sounding good after purchasing.

matthewpiano

Difficult one this as I usually have to hear a lot more than 3 discs to make any sort of decision. My testing usually includes (as essentials):

Midlake - The Courage of Others
Queen - A Day At The Races
Tchaikovsky - Romeo & Juliet Fantasy Oveture (Pappano/EMI)
Grieg - Piano Concerto in A Minor (Claudio Arrau/Philips Classics)
Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train
Linda Thompson - Versatile Heart
Strawbs - Hero & Heroine
Schubert - Impromptus (Alfred Brendel/Philips)
Richard Strauss - Eine Alpinesinfonie (Karajan/Philips Classics)
Liszt - A Faust Symphony (Fischer/Philips Classics)
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
Imagined Village - Empire & Love
Richard Thompson - Mock Tudor
Kate Royal - Midsummer's Night

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Difficult one this as I usually have to hear a lot more than 3 discs to make any sort of decision. My testing usually includes (as essentials): Midlake - The Courage of Others Queen - A Day At The Races Tchaikovsky - Romeo & Juliet Fantasy Oveture (Pappano/EMI) Grieg - Piano Concerto in A Minor (Claudio Arrau/Philips Classics) Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train Linda Thompson - Versatile Heart Strawbs - Hero & Heroine Schubert - Impromptus (Alfred Brendel/Philips) Richard Strauss - Eine Alpinesinfonie (Karajan/Philips Classics) Liszt - A Faust Symphony (Fischer/Philips Classics) Herbie Hancock - Headhunters Imagined Village - Empire & Love Richard Thompson - Mock Tudor Kate Royal - Midsummer's Night

Dealers must love you. Do they prepare a bed for you or take their holidays?

matthewpiano

drummerman:
matthewpiano:Difficult one this as I usually have to hear a lot more than 3 discs to make any sort of decision. My testing usually includes (as essentials): Midlake - The Courage of Others Queen - A Day At The Races Tchaikovsky - Romeo & Juliet Fantasy Oveture (Pappano/EMI) Grieg - Piano Concerto in A Minor (Claudio Arrau/Philips Classics) Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train Linda Thompson - Versatile Heart Strawbs - Hero & Heroine Schubert - Impromptus (Alfred Brendel/Philips) Richard Strauss - Eine Alpinesinfonie (Karajan/Philips Classics) Liszt - A Faust Symphony (Fischer/Philips Classics) Herbie Hancock - Headhunters Imagined Village - Empire & Love Richard Thompson - Mock Tudor Kate Royal - Midsummer's Night

I only play extracts from the discs - not the whole disc!!

T

the record spot

Guys, don't panic, when MP talks about auditioning stuff, the dealer usually gets the gear delivered by Eddie Stobart.
emotion-5.gif

Just joshin' Matt, just joshin'.
emotion-2.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:drummerman:

I only play extracts from the discs - not the whole disc!!

I did kind of assume that still ...
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts