your opinion please damaged b&w cm1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hello everyone, im looking at some B&W CM1 speakers for £230 they are from a liquidation store they are missing the grills but the wort part is it looks like one of the tweeters has been pushed in an pulled back out. there is also a fare amout of scuffing the the bottoms and some chips on the side of one and the corner is dammaged showing the base material (looks like fiberboard)

my question is they are less than half price but will the wrinkles in the tweeter cause any issues (they sound nice still)

if i want to re sell later on are they worth £230 with the damage they have sustained im a realy pickey kind of person am i expecting too much?

thanks for taking the time to look

mark

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello.

I have previously owned the CM1s and think that they are a fabulous speaker,

After a small child pressed one of the tweeter in I managed to pull it back out with some sticky tape and it performed OK albeit with some creasing.

I decided to replace the tweeter with a new one for about £40, after contacting B&W service dept they could not have been more helpful and I received it the very next day and replaced it myself ( very easily done ) with a diagram from B&W who were very helpful indeed, so give them a call and they will advise you......

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Are the aesthetics important to you? The damage sounds quite bad, and so if you could fix the tweeter for £50, you would still end up with a speaker that could be very difficult to sell at anywhere near the price you paid for them if you decide to change at some point. Look on the flea bay and you will see a pair of mint gloss black ones for £375. If you are a pickey person as you say, don't forget the speaker is as much a piece of furniture as audio equipment ... how would you feel if you bought a knackered coffee table.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I must admit if I saw speakers advertized with damage I would not touch them with a bargepole, its not being picky its being aware of an item that may have been abused.......

A

Anonymous

they look ok to start with but the more you look close the more chips ect you see, its just the front damage more of a dent

i was looking at some gel coat touch up pens, did concider filling and spraying to get them looking nice but i dont know if i would get the gloss black high gloss as good as they are

to he honest its only one side of each speaker so against the wall left and right you wouldnt see it but as you say i would be limmited when selling thembut they do sell new for £500 so its a good saving and i cant realy afford £230 let alone £500 after just buying my marantz mcr603 only to find my speakers (been in the loft away from the kids) have a crackle

A

Anonymous

thanks guys, i am going to leave the speakers. its hard to know when your being picky and missing out on a bargain. as you say i dont know how they have been treated or if they will go pop in 3 months time

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
marklones said:
and i cant realy afford £230 let alone £500 after just buying my marantz mcr603 only to find my speakers (been in the loft away from the kids) have a crackle

All the more reason to stay away from the damaged CM1s. You can can get some nice bookshelf speakers brand new for much less that £200 e.g. Dali Zensor 1 (£159), and if you were prepared to spend £230, then you can lots of new clearance/end of line bargains e.g. EposM5i for £229 brand new. Don't know what you preference is, but it pays to look around.

[/quote]

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts