Your hi-fi cost as a percentage of the cost of your home

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Jim, I did say in my opening post "No need to answer this if you want to keep it confidential".

I don't see how the premise of this thread is divisive and unpleasant. If someone wants to say what the percentage is: fine. If someone doesn't: that's fine too.

It's not like you're having to fill out some Government census form here, where non-submission leaves you liable to prosecution.

I've seen plenty of threads over the years where the discussion has been along the lines of "What percentage of my budget should be on my source / amp / speakers / cables?"

I think it's valid to view the room and house as part of the hi-fi system, and yet funnily enough I've never seen any discussion about dividing funds between the house and system.

Looking at the answers to this thread, as a very general guideline, if you've bought a house in the last few years in the South East of England, you're probably looking at spending 99% on the house and 1% on the hi-fi.

If you bought a house quite a few years ago, in the North of England or Scotland or Northern Ireland and you're heavily into hi-fi then you could be looking at 10% to 20% on the hi-fi.

I haven't found myself agreeing with you [Lindsayt] very often, if ever, but I certainly agree with you here. If one is not interested in the thread then just ignore it, if your paranoia will allow you of course. I don't understand the hostility to a simple question that is neither here nor there.

Do people really read an equipment signature and then decide what sort of person they are? How very sad. Much like people you meet, where the first thing out of their mouth is, "What do you do"?

There is never a shortage of people that want to be offended by anything and everything nowadays, but this thread? Really?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
jazzjenkins said:
HA ! Its ok Ive just worked out how much my lovely wife has spent on shoes over the last 35 years and I feel much better now.! About 6% value of the house.

I'd rather enjoy the company of a nice looking woman than have hugely impressive speakers. B&W Nautilus is good enough for me. *pardon*

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
About 50%

May show how pointless some stats are? My HC spend was more than 40yrs after house purchase.

Current values? maybe 2-5% at a guess. Inflation is a wonderful thing.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Philim said:
BigH said:
Philim said:
BigH said:
About 0.5%

*shok*

I'm almost embarrassed for you lol

Why?

People in this country seem to be creating an industry out of being offended.

For the benefit of peace I apologise but come on people, the thread is tongue in cheek and therefore deserved a tongue in cheek answer. They could have a £10m house for all i know. The stat means nothing. No one should be concerned what % they have or what anyone else thinks. It's hifi for gawd sake.....

I was not offended I just did not know what you meant.

Yes it is fairly meaningless question, I could have a £10m house or £100,000 or even £30,000.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The point of the thread is not to learn how much your hi-fi kit or your house cost. It's a support group for gearholics. It doesn't matter if your house is 10M or 10K. If you spent 20% of your realestate net worth on hi-fi, you will be assigned with a mentor, given a warm blanket and a cup of tea. Medication is given from 8am and then breakfast is served.

1zn54jl.jpg

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The point of the thread is not to learn how much your hi-fi kit or your house cost. It's a support group for gearholics. It doesn't matter if your house is 10M or 10K. If you spent 20% of your realestate net worth on hi-fi, you will be assigned with a mentor, given a warm blanket and a cup of tea. Medication is given from 8am and then breakfast is served.

I do spend a disproportionately large amount of my disposable income on hifi equipment. But then I don't waste it on drink, drugs and cars so I guess it balances out.

I'd also like to have morning medication and breakfast served.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
relocated said:
Do people really read an equipment signature and then decide what sort of person they are? How very sad.

While my post was purely ment as a joke I have noticed the occasional comment on hifi forums which indicates that some people do actually think this way. Thankfully it does seem to be a pretty rare occurrence.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:

While I insist I don't need hugs or medication, I was shocked at the % spend up against my first house cost. Had I not been bitten by the hifi bug I could have managed a property earlier than I did, but then again, something else might have bitten me and life could have taken a very different course.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts