Your hi-fi cost as a percentage of the cost of your home

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Philim said:
BigH said:
About 0.5%

*shok*

I'm almost embarrassed for you lol

I repeat: the thread is (i) meaningless in most cases, since we don't know the value of people's hi-fi or house, so there's no 'anchor' value and (ii) if we do know one of the values, it's weird that people seem willing to admit how much their houses are worth.

In case (i) 0.5% could mean any of the values below, though (ii) as I happen to know what BigH's hi-fi is, I now have a fair idea what his house is worth: I think it's odd people are happy to broadcast this on a public forum. Maybe that's just me.

Hifi £500 House £100,000

Hifi £750 House £150,000
Hifi £1000 House £200,000 Hifi £1500 House £300,000 Hifi £2000 House £400,000
Hifi £3000 House £600,000

etc etc

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, I think as a fun question the thread is ok.

House prices can be googled relatively easy anyway so I don't think anyone is giving away state secrets.

What would be more interesting is the amount of mortgage or any HP on the Hifi outstanding :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Philim said:
BigH said:
About 0.5%

*shok*

I repeat: the thread is (i) meaningless in most cases, since we don't know the value of people's hi-fi or house, so there's no 'anchor' value and (ii) if we do know one of the values, it's weird that people seem willing to admit how much their houses are worth.

In case (i) 0.5% could mean any of the values below, though (ii) as I happen to know what BigH's hi-fi is, I now have a fair idea what his house is worth: I think it's odd people are happy to broadcast this on a public forum. Maybe that's just me.

Hifi £500 House £100,000

Hifi £750 House £150,000

Hifi £1000 House £200,000 Hifi £1500 House £300,000 Hifi £2000 House £400,000

Hifi £3000 House £600,000

etc etc

It's harder than you think to work out the cost of our houses. For example I answered <1%. That's a rather large price range, especially as you don't know what number I was thinking of to start with.

For example was it based on what I paid on my HiFi second hand or what it would have been worth when new? Or was it based on how much I've spent on this hobby since I first became interested in it four years ago? Was it just the HiFi system or did that number included the head-fi and portable systems too?

On top of that you don't know where I live and house prices and wages are often relative to each other in different areas.

When you look at it logically and mathematically based on what limited information you have the answer <1% could mean I live in anything between a small terraced house to a huge mansion with many acres of land.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
At one time it would have been 10% or more, but then my first house only cost me 10 grand. Now, much less than 1%, but I've purchased 'direct' and house prices are barmy almost everywhere, certainly as a multiple of local wages.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Well, I think as a fun question the thread is ok.

House prices can be googled relatively easy anyway so I don't think anyone is giving away state secrets.

What would be more interesting is the amount of mortgage or any HP on the Hifi outstanding :)

Nail, meet head.

I can find out the cost of someones house (approx) easily. It is not a secret.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:

They can, but linking a house price to a person posting on this forum might be rather tricky unless you know where they live.

My point was actually a different one. I find it odd that anyone would want to reveal the value of their property on this forum. Though as I also said, maybe that's just me.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
drummerman said:

They can, but linking a house price to a person posting on this forum might be rather tricky unless you know where they live.

My point was actually a different one. I find it odd that anyone would want to reveal the value of their property on this forum. Though as I also said, maybe that's just me.

No, it's not just you, I couldn't agree more. The basic premise re this thread is divisive and unpleasant.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Jim, I did say in my opening post "No need to answer this if you want to keep it confidential".

I don't see how the premise of this thread is divisive and unpleasant. If someone wants to say what the percentage is: fine. If someone doesn't: that's fine too.

It's not like you're having to fill out some Government census form here, where non-submission leaves you liable to prosecution.

I've seen plenty of threads over the years where the discussion has been along the lines of "What percentage of my budget should be on my source / amp / speakers / cables?"

I think it's valid to view the room and house as part of the hi-fi system, and yet funnily enough I've never seen any discussion about dividing funds between the house and system.

Looking at the answers to this thread, as a very general guideline, if you've bought a house in the last few years in the South East of England, you're probably looking at spending 99% on the house and 1% on the hi-fi.

If you bought a house quite a few years ago, in the North of England or Scotland or Northern Ireland and you're heavily into hi-fi then you could be looking at 10% to 20% on the hi-fi.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Jim, I did say in my opening post "No need to answer this if you want to keep it confidential".

I don't see how the premise of this thread is divisive and unpleasant. If someone wants to say what the percentage is: fine. If someone doesn't: that's fine too.

It's not like you're having to fill out some Government census form here, where non-submission leaves you liable to prosecution.

I've seen plenty of threads over the years where the discussion has been along the lines of "What percentage of my budget should be on my source / amp / speakers / cables?"

I think it's valid to view the room and house as part of the hi-fi system, and yet funnily enough I've never seen any discussion about dividing funds between the house and system.

Looking at the answers to this thread, as a very general guideline, if you've bought a house in the last few years in the South East of England, you're probably looking at spending 99% on the house and 1% on the hi-fi.

If you bought a house quite a few years ago, in the North of England or Scotland or Northern Ireland and you're heavily into hi-fi then you could be looking at 10% to 20% on the hi-fi.

We live in a class-ridden society, lindsay, and I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that; there's already been a comment that states, 'I feel embarrassed for you.' or something along those lines: that's why this is divisive because it will encourage people to make judgements about certain poster's financial situations. I'm sure we can all do this when people type a list of their equipment, which is something else that can affect the way in which we may view the posts of others ie 'posh git' or 'is that all he can afford?' On the other hand, it is useful to know what equipment people have got when they're responding to a question so I'm pretty ambivalent about this.

In short, there are occasions when these threads veer towards the offensivly materialistic, for example, responders encouraging punters to go way above their stated budgets, and I feel that your question is an example of this. I'm sure that you didn't intend it as a means to garner info about the financial status of forum members but it could be construed that this may have been your motive. I, for one, don't feel that there is any benefit in revealing this very personal information and, as somebody else stated, I doubt whether the truth would be forthcoming.

I realise that my opinion is singularly unimportant but I'm not preaching; rather, I'm trying to protect the sensibilities of those who may not be as well-off as some forum members or those who have not spent ridiculous amounts of money on what is, after all, a very expensive hobby.

I apologise though because I shouldn't have called your question, 'unpleasant'. I know that you didn't mean it to be interpreted in this way.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Very thoughtful comments Jim-W.

Of course, it is impossible to guess anyone's finances on the basis of hifi owned or indeed house price just as it is by looking at someones car.

A lot of people owe huge amounts on mortgages or the house could be in shared ownership with a partner, both working and one may have a vastly different income and/or put more deposit into the property.

Similarely, Hifi could have been bought over time, on credit or it may be the singular one hobby someone has, choosing to spend all on that.

A friend and riding buddy of mine has a fairly ordinary job as a building site plant operator. Admittedly, its not quite the bottom bracket income of some (me probably included, I don't mind to admit) but after bringing up two daughters and a fairly expensive divorce which saw him handing the house over completely, he doesn't drink, party or spends money on cars etc. He now rents and chooses to spend his income on his girl friend, good food, some traveling and a very, very expensive road bike he saved up for. He regularely gets comments and envious looks and of course some people will try and link his bike with income etc. ... quite wrongly.

Human nature

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Very thoughtful comments Jim-W.

Of course, it is impossible to guess anyone's finances on the basis of hifi owned or indeed house price just as it is by looking at someones car.

A lot of people owe huge amounts on mortgages or the house could be in shared ownership with a partner, both working and one may have a vastly different income and/or put more deposit into the property.

Similarely, Hifi could have been bought over time, on credit or it may be the singular one hobby someone has, choosing to spend all on that.

A friend and riding buddy of mine has a fairly ordinary job as a building site plant operator. Admittedly, its not quite the bottom bracket income of some (me probably included, I don't mind to admit) but after bringing up two daughters and a fairly expensive divorce which saw him handing the house over completely, he doesn't drink, party or spends money on cars etc. He now rents and chooses to spend his income on his girl friend, good food, some traveling and a very, very expensive road bike he saved up for. He regularely gets comments and envious looks and of course some people will try and link his bike with income etc. ... quite wrongly.

Human nature

Thanks, drummerman. I think you're right that you couldn't infer exactly a person's income or house value based on lindsay's question, but I still think people would have a stab at it.

The example of your friend is a good one; I would certainly link a posh road bike with decent income, but maybe that's because I know more about bikes than hi-fi! Similarly, when looking at people's hi-fi kit signature, I find it hard not to jump to what could well be erroneous conclusions. I'd just rather not know...in that way, all advice posted has the air of impartiality or rather, all posters are equally important. It's easy to feel that sombody who has spent a great deal of money on their listed items has more clout than those who haven't; the reverse could well be true though, given the nature of posts asking for opinions about budget equipment and speaker placements in small rooms, for example. Having said that, if forum members want to tell us what they've got, I guess it's fine, but let's not pretend that we don't make judgements when we read the signatures. Or maybe I'm just a rather nasty person!

I've inferred that you're a biker. Me, too. Never driven a car in my life because I can't! Just can't do it. I ride a Kwak, zx-9r ninja....no doubt you'll have made some assessment of me relating to my bike of choice! Human nature indeed.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Philim said:
BigH said:
About 0.5%

*shok*

Why?

People in this country seem to be creating an industry out of being offended.

For the benefit of peace I apologise but come on people, the thread is tongue in cheek and therefore deserved a tongue in cheek answer. They could have a £10m house for all i know. The stat means nothing. No one should be concerned what % they have or what anyone else thinks. It's hifi for gawd sake.....

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Philim said:

For the benefit of peace I apologise but come on people, the thread is tongue in cheek and therefore deserved a tongue in cheek answer. They could have a £10m house for all i know. The stat means nothing. No one should be concerned what % they have or what anyone else thinks. It's hifi for gawd sake.....

I apologise; I completely missed the point of the thread.

My hi-fi cost 75% of the value of my (Mayfair) house.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
Philim said:

I apologise; I completely missed the point of the thread.

My hi-fi cost 75% of the value of my (Mayfair) house.

*shok*

im almost embarrassed for you....

ps

is mayfair the location or is it made out of old magazines?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't offended, if it was me you were referring to, but I was making a few points. You're right: there does seem to be almost an army of people who are willing to be offended by what you or I may consider to be trifling issues, but then again, maybe there have always been people who have been offended and the internet has given them a voice to howl their protests. I'm offended by the gap betwen rich and poor in this country and the way in which the poor are demonised; nothing to do with hi-fi, but everything to do with the way in which I read people's posts. Hi-fi does not exist in a context-free and depoliticised world and I genuinely hope that helps people to understand my posts. If you think that's heavy, man, don't get me started on hi-fi and its carbon footprint!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
When I read somebody's signature and they have a cheaper hifi than mine I automatically assume that they're not a real audiophile and that any comments they make must be therefore be worthless.

*diablo*

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Beneath the surface of most good jokes there's often just that worrying little kernel of half-truth, lurking in a dark corner.

jazzjenkins

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
AAAAAGGHHH !! just worked out over last 35 years spent 35k on hifi F...k ! dont tell the wife. interestingly though 5% of the house value. Does this mean that first time buyers in Oxford should spend 15k on there first system?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
jazzjenkins said:
AAAAAGGHHH !! just worked out over last 35 years spent 35k on hifi F...k ! dont tell the wife. interestingly though 5% of the house value. Does this mean that first time buyers in Oxford should spend 15k on there first system?

JJ, don't get divorced or you may well end up with just a Naim Mu-So (30% of your remaining realestate). *wink*

jazzjenkins

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
HA ! Its ok Ive just worked out how much my lovely wife has spent on shoes over the last 35 years and I feel much better now.! About 6% value of the house.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts