Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Single: Showdown ELO

LP: Red Rose Speedway Paul McCartney and Wings

I still have them and still love them just as much as I did in 1973

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Between being about age 4 and 13 I was bought a lot of records by parents and family at such as brithdays and Christmas. Everyone knew I loved music so it was a no-brainer. They were often children's records at first, then latterly Top Of The Pops LPs with their raunchy covers. Also a Parade of Pops on the Chevron label, with a sticker on the front saying 'Special Collectors' Edition In Red Vinyl' that my mum and dad bought for me when I was 10 in 1979. I remember my dad told me to look after it because it would be worth a lot of money in 30-40 years. He lied: they're on eBay for about £2.99.

The first record I remember making a conscious decision to buy, albeit with my parents' money, was Ma Baker by Boney M in 1977, probably for my 8th birthday. By the time I'd got a job and was buying things with truly my own money, I was no longer buying records.

insider9

MajorFubar said:
Also a Parade of Pops on the Chevron label, with a sticker on the front saying 'Special Collectors' Edition In Red Vinyl' that my mum and dad bought for me when I was 10 in 1979. I remember my dad told me to look after it because it would be worth a lot of money in 30-40 years. He lied: they're on eBay for about £2.99.
*biggrin*

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
First single - Dream by Bobbie Gentry and Glen Campbell.

First LP _ Abbey Road and/or closely followed by Led Zep 2.

Didn't have much money at all in those days - most of it went on LPs (and the odd Ben Sherman) !

Couldn't buy Let It Bleed as my old man said he'd smash it if i bought it! I just about got away with Led Zep 2.

reminesce Tonky!

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
First single was Gambler by Madonna, bought with the record token I was given as a prize in a fancy dress contest at school.

First album was Thriller.

For completeness my first cassette was Hits (the first in a long line of Now That's what I Call..... competition), first CD was Live After Death by Iron Maiden, and first minidisc (I no longer have any) was Blur The Best Of.

i don't think I've owned any other physical formats.

Although I had access to my fathers collection (Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison et al) the first LP I actually purchased myself was Relics by Pink Floyd from Woolworths of all places, bought when first issued in 1971. I still have it in my collection.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Gary Glitter : Rock n Roll part 2

About 1972, brilliant record by a repugnant man.

B-side though wasn't it, iirc? No one was interested in the A side so the record company effectively turned the record over. Revived again in 1988 by The Timelords, mashed-up with the Sweet's Blockbuster, in 'Doctorin' The Tardis'

A 45rpm single was my first record purchase but I cannot recall for sure if it was A Hard Day’s Night. I think it cost 6/9. That’s six shillings and ninepence, or about 35p!

It would be worth a bit more today if I still had it!

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Just looked at a website that compares historical values, you're right, 32 bob in 1966 equivalent to about £30 today and back then it would have been a day's wages for a skilled tradesman...

My first 45 was Robot by The Tornados, my first album was With The Beatles

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Boogie with Canned Heat

Ahhh. Evil Woman, On the Road Again, Whiskey headed woman..................The Bear and Blind Owl's vocals ........

Still got the album, but it has had a hard life and doesn't play that well anymore

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
The first Vinyl I remember was a Pinky and Perky Single (on Red Vinyl, no less), when I was about 4.

My Dad bought us a couple of those Pinky and Perky EP's and the soundtrack to Pinocchio, but my own first purchase, I think, was Tony Orlando and Dawn Tie a Yellow Ribbon on single and the album was The Carpenters singles collection of some sort.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts