Your first CD and first player (oldsters only)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Aiming this really at folks old enough to have used records and/or tapes when they were everyone's primary source, rather than at some of you youngsters who only grew up with CDs to start with. Sorry the post I guess is going to be a bit ageist as a result, but in return allow us old crocks to amuse you with our anecdotes.

Can you remember what your first CD was? And your first player? And how you reacted when you heard it for the very first time? I still own my first CD: I bought Changing Faces: The Best of 10cc and Godley & Creme for £11.99 from WH Smiths in October 1987. My player was a Pioneer PD-X88 that I was buying on the never-never from my mum's Brian Mills mail-order catalogue for £230 (about £50 of that was already interest lol).

My hifi at the time was a £350 Akai stack system bought by my parents for my 16th birthday in 1985. The sound from the Pioneer CD player was like nothing I'd ever heard, especially through headphones (the Akai speakers were lousy tbh). Crisp, clear, and the dead silence between tracks like we'd never heard before. Totally amazing. I was instantly sold.

You?

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
An all in one goodmans system bought for me by my parents for my 16th Birthday.

First CD (which I still have) was Live After Death, Iron Maiden. Closely followed by Brothers in Arms.

I then spent a rather large portion of my savings on a Planar 3 which I listened to through it!!!! I shudder at the thought now. But at the time i loooooved it.

gasolin

The first dual cd player made by pioneer. I think it was in 1990

Pioneer PD-Z72T or PD-T3030

Def leppard Hysteria and madonna the immaculate collection

1448-pdz72t.jpg

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Technics SL-PJ26A

I think it was in 1989. Well I got Rattle & Hum as part of the deal. First cd I bought I can't remember amybe the Joshua Tree?

Sound was not great maybe because the NAD 3030 was not designed for CD players. After a few years I upgraded to a Marantz 63SE and Arcam Alpha 3 which was miles better.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
My first CD player was a Sony I can’t remember the model number but I remember that I saved up for it and it cost me £350 and my first CDs where you guessed it dire straits brothers in arms *smile* and tanita tikaram ancient heart

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Denon DCD-1100 in 1988.

I remember buying my first 10 CDs in a package deal at our local Virgin Megastore, so there wasn’t a ‘first’ as such. (I remember The Cure ‘Staring At The Sea’ and XTC ‘English Settlement’.)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
My first bought Cd disc was Dire Straights Brothers in Arms .

My first Cd player was a second hand Roksan DP1 transport , DA1 Dac and DS4 power supply , I later added a Monarchy Audio DIP ( Digital interface processor ) between transport and Dac to stunning effect!

Blimey you didn't muck about with the peasant-spec stuff did you, just straight in there at the deep end :)

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Sony CDP 35 in 1986 my father had to sign the credit agreement as I was only 17. First cd I think was Reckless by Bryan Adams. The cdp was £200 the cd was £8.99 and my Saturday job paid £1.48 an hour :)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Was there a Philips cd160 or something like that, and it was 160 sterling (I'm in Ireland) to buy back in about 89 ish. I initially had it connected up to a Sharp twin tape stereo, eventually buying an amp and speakers.

Surprisingly to myself I can't remember my first cd

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I stuck with vinyl way longer than most, first cd's were quite decent Spaceman 3 - Recurring & Nirvana - Bleach around 1990/1 from HMV Newcastle. 1st cdp was an Aiwa all in one which cost around £200 and actually sounded really good well, it went loud and deep v v v important to the 25yr old me...

athegn1

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
Can't remember my first CD player, Technics but can't remember the model, or my first CD but my epiphany moment was very early into my CD experience.

As I always have done, I listen a lot via headphones. On my Rega I would listen to Daphnis & Chloe. Out of the mush from the LP would come some music. Then I bought the CD, one of my very early purchases; probably in the first three. Out of the silence came the music. After that I quickly set about replacing my LPs and my Rega was relegated to the loft; to where it has been returned after a recent short trial with some new kit.

BTW the song that bought me to recorded music was the then new Heartbreak Hotel on a 78, on a converted i.e. electric motored, wind up gramophone; yes I am that old!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Gray said:
P.S. Not calling you a spoilt brat Major, but a £350 present for a 16 year old! For brats of today that would be a stocking filler, but back when Noah was still building his ark....blimey...you were a golden child.

Yeah you're totally right mate to be honest, I think my being disabled they kind of spoiled me a bit. But as a partially-sighted 16 year old they at least knew I wouldn't be pestering them for a car next year! *biggrin*

Gray

Bought a batch of discs wholesale at £8.80 each including Thriller, Sade, Earth, Wind & Fire, Casiopia (Japanese) and a few on the exclusively digitally-mastered, GRP label for my first taste of hiss-free audio.

Instant vinyl starts on my old Disco had taken some effort, so I was impressed by what I thought were instant track starts at the press of a button on the new CDP (Only later, using the type of twin CDP with a 'Cue' function did I have truly instant starts).

Later got Philips' first CD recorder which was probably a bigger deal for me.

P.S. Not calling you a spoilt brat Major, but a £350 present for a 16 year old! For brats of today that would be a stocking filler, but back when Noah was still building his ark....blimey...you were a golden child.

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I was quite late getting into cds and bought my first and only cd player the Marantz cd63. I bought this in 1993 and still own and use this to this day.
My first cd was Violator by Depeche Mode.
I was and still amazed by the sound of this cd.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Gray said:
Even though I came to CD early, before I bought my first discs, someone at work already owned 400 odd (which I thought was amazing at the time)

!! *shok* 400 was a serious financial investment for a format only a few years old. Especially when the typical going rate was £9.99 - £11.99.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
My first CD player was part of a JVC all in one music centre bought in 1990 I think. I went to Boots on Salford Precinct and bought myself 2 CDs, Peter Gabriel "Shaking the Tree", and Rory Gallagher "Fresh Evidence".

My first seperates were bought in 1996 and I bought myself a nice brand new Marantz CD63 of some sort, along with a Rotel amp, Mordaunt Short speakers, TEAC cassette deck, and a Kenwood turntable.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

My first Cd player was a second hand Roksan DP1 transport , DA1 Dac and DS4 power supply , I later added a Monarchy Audio DIP ( Digital interface processor ) between transport and Dac to stunning effect!

This isn't my personal one but it shows you how it looked . *smile*

Roksan%20dp1_zpsrmpht1er.jpg

I still use my Monarchy DIP in my system now , in fact I have three of them, the DIP was the best most cost effective improvements I ever made in my entire HiFi life !

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
was a Yamaha CD-X1 which was about £450 in 1984. First CD was Power Windows by Rush swiftly followed by A Trick Of The Tail by Genesis and 2112 by Rush. We were in-between moving house at the time so it was plugged in to my Dad's B&O and it was disappointing, although it was pretty good when we got moved and set up. The Arcam Alpha 5 + which replaced it was a beautiful sounding player.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Electro said:

Blimey you didn't muck about with the peasant-spec stuff did you, just straight in there at the deep end :)

I got a really good second hand deal from a Greek fellow called George who lived in the Lea Valley area, I had to borrow the money but I always buy the best I can afford ( or not *smile* ) rather than mess about with lesser models .

I bought a Primare Cd 302 after the Roksan but I really wanted a BOW Technologies ZZ8 Cd player but just could not afford one, both players were designed by Bo Christensen.

Bow%20%20ZZ8_zpsicar3enn.jpg

After that I bought my first Electro EMC1 Cd player and then swapped that fot the newer Electro EMC1 UP which I have to this day .

D

Deleted member 108165

Can't remember the exact model number but had a look on google and the Aiwa XC-300 seems to look like the one I had. Not sure of the exact year or the exact price I paid but bought it just as CDs started to hit the market... I was into new gadgets back then.

My sister has it and was still working perfectly when I passed my previous Marantz system over to her about 2-3 years ago as the Aiwa amp had developed a fault. The CD player must be at least 34 years old now.

I 'think' BIA was the first CD to be played on it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts