Your favourite Punk albums

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BTW Big fella, did you not like 'Precious' (Pretenders)?

I had a crush on Chrissie Hynde when I was about 12, and I bought Brass In Pocket and the next single (name escapes me).

There's a story I could tell which involved me,a young female teacher, and our shared liking for The Pretenders, but I won't. ;)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

I had a crush on Chrissie Hynde when I was about 12, and I bought Brass In Pocket and the next single (name escapes me).

There's a story I could tell which involved me,a young female teacher, and our shared liking for The Pretenders, but I won't. ;)

Well, she was pretty hot ;) But, did you listen to 'Precious'? Quite 'Punky', I thought...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Don't like metal Freddy.

Are you sure? :grin: I mean, that was pretty close...

I know what you mean, but there was no long hair, and they were anarchist, proper anarchist, and death metal etc all came after Discharge.

They were pioneers.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

Well, she was pretty hot ;) But, did you listen to 'Precious'? Quite 'Punky', I thought...

It is, and I've never heard that track before. Not for me, though I still respect Miss Hynde, The Pretenders were a good band, but never Punk.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Don't like metal Freddy.

Are you sure? :grin: I mean, that was pretty close...

I know what you mean, but there was no long hair, and they were anarchist, proper anarchist, and death metal etc all came after Discharge.

They were pioneers.

Hmm, Lemmy? ;)

It's the beat that counts, Motorhead were pioneers in a way, but not like Discharge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-beat

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
"Discharge may have themselves inherited the beat from Motörhead."

I should have read it before giving the link shouldn't I. :grin:

I like Motorhead anyway, so it doesn't upset me, though Discharge are a very different animal to Motorhead, and I do prefer that particular beast.

Paul.

Roundhead 5000 said:
nor are Green Day, not in or from the 'Punk' era that I think the OP is referring to. Or at least not what I consider Punk to be

I was about to say that makes you sound old, then I realised Dookie was 20 years old and I accidently made myself feel old :(

(I will admit their recent stuff is complete and utter toss, Warning was the point they should have retired gracefully)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Paul. said:
Roundhead 5000 said:
nor are Green Day, not in or from the 'Punk' era that I think the OP is referring to. Or at least not what I consider Punk to be

I was about to say that makes you sound old, then I realised Dookie was 20 years old and I accidently made myself feel old :(

(I will admit their recent stuff is complete and utter toss, Warning was the point they should have retired gracefully)

I have to agree with Roundhead, a lot of the formentioned bands are not punk bands. Green Day maybe, but Foo Fighters? Nah!!!!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I like Motorhead anyway, so it doesn't upset me, though Discharge are a very different animal to Motorhead, and I do prefer that particular beast.

Motorhead = Metal, you just came out :grin:

My brother was into Metal when I was finding my musical feet, so I will always admit to Motorhead, AC/DC and, and, I'm not sure I can admit this, but, mmmmmmmmmm, Iron Maiden, though, only the one album, the first I think.

He also liked Saxon, Judas Priest etc, which are absolute sh*te.

I went to Reading festival back in the late 80s, Friday was Goth and Indie day, Saturday was rock and metal. Me and my mate went record shopping on the Saturday in Reading town centre, says it all.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
For me in no particular order...

1. Bad Religion - American Jesus

2. NOFX - Punk in Drublic

3. Pennywise - self titled

4. Rancid - ...and Out Came The Wolves

5. Sex Pistols - Never Mind the B......

6. The Clash - the Clash...

7. The Offspring - Ixnay on The Hombre

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Motorhead = Metal, you just came out :grin:

My brother was into Metal when I was finding my musical feet, so I will always admit to Motorhead, AC/DC and, and, I'm not sure I can admit this, but, mmmmmmmmmm, Iron Maiden, though, only the one album, the first I think.

He also liked Saxon, Judas Priest etc, which are absolute sh*te.

I went to Reading festival back in the late 80s, Friday was Goth and Indie day, Saturday was rock and metal. Me and my mate went record shopping on the Saturday in Reading town centre, says it all.

It's ok, no need to explain. Your latent Metal tendancies can be our little secret ;) :grin:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

philipjohnwright said:
Now can I interest you in some jazz funk?!!! (if yes try Brian Culbertson - Live from the Inside)

Phil

I tried, but failed. Really not my thing at all.

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Paul. said:
Roundhead 5000 said:

I am old :grin:

I would say Green Day carry the sentiment of punk, but they have that American tinge which takes something away, they're not angry enough, or aggressive enough or something. Next to a punk band like Discharge or Crass, they sound like f**king Prefab Sprout. And don't get me started on those utter C***ts. I do try to live by the 'Each to their own' ethos, but there are limits :rofl:

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
El Hefe said:

The thread censor will be in to have a word in a minute, I expect. All that stuff's the wrong era.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Alec said:
El Hefe said:

The thread censor will be in to have a word in a minute, I expect. All that stuff's the wrong era.

Errrr... I didnt see anythin in the first posting mentioning about era... unless it was in some other follow up posting... if we are referring to the 70s punk.. then its Sex Pistols and Clash... the American punk bands like Bad Religion and NOFX only came as early as 1981 if I am not mistaken...

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Alec said:
Roundhead 5000 said:
I do try to live by the 'Each to their own' ethos

There's a saying...something to do with the possibility of fooling someone...

You could've fooled me?

I apologise if you thought I was dissing your choices Alec, I was being sarcastic with the 'each to their own thing'

It's fairly obvious I'm opinionated and intolerant ;)

I see the punk era as mid to late seventies, early eighties. So you have Sex Pistols/Clash/Buzzcocks/Stranglers/Damned, all late seventies, leading inrto Discharge/GBH/Dead Kennedys/Anti Pasti etc early eighties.

The Green day/Nirvana era was a lot later, or felt like it anyway. And apart from Dead Kennedys and maybe Bad Brains/Rollins band I don't think the other American so called punk bands captured the idea behind punk in the same way the British bands did. British punk was rebelling against the prog rock, self indulgent, overly long, convoluted drivel from the likes of Rick Wakemen et al....And of course a lot of it was political. And angry. Bands like Foo fighters are trying too hard, pretending to be something they're not. Plus two good tracks maximum, on each of their albums doesn't cut it with me. I think they're overated and actually quite bland most of the time.

This is only my opinion, and this is a forum, and you are entitled to tell me to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, and I won't be offended, not even a little. Have a great weekend.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts