Your favourite electronica albums?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Picked up Autechre's 5 cd boxset of all their EPs ('91-02) for £7 in HMV today, absolute bargain. Had a few of the EPs already but even for the £22 price on amazon this would be worth it for the ones I didn't. Loving Envane

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not very good at id ing genres.

Im im listening to Mortiis - Some Kind of Heroin. More the industrial edge I suppose. But listen to the Emotional Heresy remix of The Grudge and that sounds pretty electronic to me.

Another band I saw recently (again, not sure if they count). FEATHERS- If All Now Here

The Depeche Mode Remix albums are pretty hard to beat. & Construction Time Again

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Tear Drop said:
I have just been revisiting some albums by Scanner, a truly great electronic musician and artist - namely 'Spore', 'Lauwarm Instrumentals' and my favourite, 'Sound For Spaces'. Just purchased 'Electronic Garden' and 'Rockets, Unto The Edges Of Edges', two of his albums from the last few years. Will report back in due course.

He's definitely someone I want to hear more of. I have a Scanner remix of a track by Scorn, and it's absolutely awesome, scary as, but quite fascinating.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
F*U*S*E - Dimension Intrusion

Sabres Of Paradise - Sabresonic

Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust

Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole

Kraftwerk - Autobahn

Kraftwerk - Man Machine

Ruby - Salt Peter

Red Snapper - Prince Blimey

Fila Brazilia - Mess

Boards Of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children

Lamb - Lamb

Just thought that I should add some albums by The Young Gods to my list, electronic pioneers.

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
A few more

Kenny Larkin - Metaphor

Basic Channel - BCD

Moodymann - Black Mahogany

Audiojack - Radio

Maurizio - M Series

Moodymann - A Silent Introduction

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
This is a great thread...will enjoy catching up on the stuff I have not come across before!

here is a list of some great albums not already mentioned.

Seefeel - quique

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus 7

Gold Panda - lucky Shiner

Pantha Du Prince - Black Noise

Rustic - glass swords

Baths - Cerulean

Radiohead TKOL remix 1234567

Blanck Mass - Blanck Mass

Nathan Fake - drowning in a sea of love

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
One of my favourite electronic artists, Plastikman, has just released a new album, EX, recorded as a live set at the Guggenheim. Awesome stuff.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Tear Drop said:
One of my favourite electronic artists, Plastikman, has just released a new album, EX, recorded as a live set at the Guggenheim. Awesome stuff.

I like the album F.U.S.E. - Dimension Instrusion, which as you probably know, is also Richie Hawtin.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Tear Drop said:

I like the album F.U.S.E. - Dimension Instrusion, which as you probably know, is also Richie Hawtin.

Indeed, brilliant album.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
I was fortunate enough to find and donate to the Caustic Window kickstarter campaign, and I downloaded the Caustic Window LP yesterday and it is a great, lost album of music from Richard D. James. The actual pressing is now on ebay fetching crazy bids

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNRELEASED-APHEX-TWIN-DOUBLE-LP-VINYL-TEST-PRESSING-CAUSTIC-WINDOW-CAT-023-LP-/291170661954?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item43cb1fb642

Howe

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
One of the great electronic albums of the 1990s

Underworld.dubnobasswithmyheadman.jpg

Soup D

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Resurrecting this thread because my excitement is mounting at the thought of hearing the following acts live this Friday...

Wrangler

Scanner

Gazelle Twin

Matthew Collings

http://www.glasgowconcerthalls.com/events/pulse-with-wrangler-scanner-gazelle-twin-and-matthew-colllings/ *dance4*

And because with the exception of Scanner they don't seem to have been mentioned in this thread (How an electronica thread can get to three pages without mention of John Foxx or Cabaret Voltaire is beyond me *unknw*).

I'm loving the Wrangler album "LA Spark" and most everything else that Benj (Ben Edwards) has been doing over the last few years - most notably as part of John Foxx & the Maths - pure analogue synth magic.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've just got into Autechre a bit. I have Incunabula, which I think is great, and I bought Exai today, which I'm finding a little harder to get into.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm still after some advice. I've recently bought the Autechre album "Incunabula", which I really like, and I'm a fan of the Boards of Canada album "Music Has The Right To Children". Can any of you recommend something very similar?

I want it quite chilled, but not overly so, instrumental, totally electronic, melodic, but still quirky and interesting.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
This is a list I recommended to a friend a few years ago, so I've more or less copied and pasted it here. I've taken out one or two that aren't relevant, and there may well be one or two more I've missed. I'm not saying all these will be suitable, but these are the electronic artists I've found over a fairly long period of Last.FM and Internet radio listening to discover new artists that I've liked enough to buy to own.
Aes Dana, Anomalous Disturbances (Inside), Bluetech, Boris Carusella (Carusella EP), Carbon Based Lifeforms, DJ Food, Deadly Avenger (Deep Red), FC Kahuna (Machine Says Yes), FNDMNTL (Subduction), Flying Lotus (Los Angeles), Funki Porcini, gROUSe (We Want To Be Loved), Hands Upon Black Earth (Hands Upon Black Earth), Induce (Cycle), Isis (Celestial), If These Trees Could Talk (Above The Earth, Below The Sky), Kalpataru Tree, Komodo (Frozen In Motion), Lost Balance (Alone In Multitudes), Numatic Soul (Clean Machine), Peace Orchestra (Peace Orchestra), Philipp Weigl, Rena Jones (Indra's Web), Saru (Downtempo Dojo), She (Coloris), Solar Fields (Leaving Home), Submotion Orchestra (Finest Hour, and Finest Hour Remixes), Sync24 (Source), Team Sleep, Tosca (Suzuki), The Crystal Method (Legion Of Bloom), Track & Field (In Search Of), Vesna (Snow Sences), Warp Technique (Make Animals Happy), Welder (Vines & Stream).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'll check him out David, thanks, but having only played 'Tomorrow's Harvest' just the once, I wasn't over-kean,

Give 'Incunabula' by Autechre a try, it's not really like BOC, but still quite an amazing sounding record. Their later stuff is a lot harder to get into to though.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm still after some advice. I've recently bought the Autechre album "Incunabula", which I really like, and I'm a fan of the Boards of Canada album "Music Has The Right To Children". Can any of you recommend something very similar?

I want it quite chilled, but not overly so, instrumental, totally electronic, melodic, but still quirky and interesting.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I've given up trying to find anything like BoC - the nearest I found was Past Is Prologue by Tycho, but even when I listen to that, it's just not BoC - they lack the darker side of BoC, and it's a tad too 'jolly'. So I've given up. I've even starting playing Campfire Headphase more in order to get some sort of 'fresh' BoC fix...

But a week ago or so, while I was searching BoC on a certain auction site, a few other artists made an appearance, so I thought I'd check one of them out.

Thomas Koner.

Now this is far from the quirky, beat driven stuff we are looking for, but if you're familiar with the last track of Tomorrow's Harvest (Semena Mertvykh - Russian for 'seeds of the dead'), it'll give you an idea of what this guy does. Haunting, eerie synth tracks that, while a little dark, are also quite relaxing too. If someone would've played me one of his tracks and said it was BoC, I'd have believed them.

We may be looking for different things - you want more of that type of music - I want something as close to BoC as possible - but as I say, I've given up.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
A few more, and maybe diverging a little

Rykard - "Arrive : The radio beacon" (very much reminds me of Boards of Canada)

Lights out Asia - "Eyes like Brontide"

H.U.V.A. Network - "Ephemeris"

Hol Baumann - "Human"

Jon Hopkins - "Immunity"

And a real old-school one I remembered...

Higher Intelligence Agency - "Colourform" (Some great bass lines in this :) )

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Guys check out The Gasman on bandcamp, just released 200 tracks for £2! All his stuff is excellent, my fave album is 'The Grand Electric Palace Of Variety' released on Planet Mu. Check.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
My current fave is Solar Fields, aka Magnus Birgersson[/b]

Some great stuff on Spotify.

Loving the vibe of "Swoosh"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLmrm8O5CLU&ab_channel=Scaran100

Not really a tune, but I can't stop moving.

Off the "Random Friday" album which is awesome imo :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts