Your advice please?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The Sony STR- DA2400es and Sony STR-DA5400es have both been given 5 stars in the reviews.

However I am just looking for an amp that will give me an awesome picture along with awesome sound. I do not need it to work in another room, do not necessarily need it to connect to the internet via wifi nor do I really need upscaling as the future purchase of a blueray player (hopefully a DVD-2500BT)should sort that problem out. I dont really need any other benefits just superb picture and sound.

My question is: Is it still better to buy the 5400es or stick with the much cheaper 2400es or what else would you suggest?

It will be connected to a Themescene HD82 projector and b&w 600series S3 speakers.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The 5400ES will still sound much better than the 2400ES, a lot of the extra £1,000 goes into this and not just fancy new features. I definitely think you'll hear the benefit of the 5400ES with your setup.

A

Anonymous

Do u really think so? I had a look at the Sony website and from what I can understand the spec's are almost identical with the exception of a couple of differences such as DSD and HATS(apart from the unnecessary items I'm not looking for)but I'm un-sure if these warrant spending so much more on the 5400es?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, the easiest way to tell for yourself is to go and have a listen to them. However, I'd bet my mortgage that the 5400ES wouldn't have got 5 stars from WHF if it sounded exactly the same as the 2400ES but just offered a few other features for £1,000 more...

Specs really don't tell you a lot when it comes to how an amplifier will sound.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your advice. I think I have made up my mind then something else comes along and confuses me further! Have you heard of the SonySTR-DA5300es @ £1150?

Any thoughts regarding Pioneer SC-LX71 @£1200 / Denon 2809 @£800 / Denon 2310 @£850 or Denon 3808A @£999 as the Sony STR-DA5400es sell's for approx £1350 or would you still stick with this unit?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Agreed, a demo is necessary really. I haven't heard any of the amps you mention, I was merely lending my assumption that the 5400ES sounds better than the 2400ES from the WHF ratings. But even if I had heard them, what's right for me might not be right for you.

A

Anonymous

I have tried going to several stores now. It is so difficult around here because no 1 store sells or has all of them in stock to demo. My usual experience is that they are happier selling something that they do have in stock but this is usually older stock or something I am not interested in.

I went to the local av store, as an example and: they did not stock Sony, did not have any Pioneer's in stock, no Onkyo's and the Denons were the older units which were on "special" and still way more more expensive then the internet. Felt they just wanted to blow my budget!

Even the local Sony store couldnt help as they didnt carry the 5400es in stock!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Mr AJ: Even the local Sony store couldnt help as they didnt carry the 5400es in stock!

As I mentioned in another thread a week or so ago, the Sony Centre in Cribbs Causeway, Bristol has NO AV amps at the moment at all as they're expecting the new lines in in the next month or so.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts