Young(ish) Audiophile - how to look after your hearing?

TB303

May 26, 2008
Visit site
Hello people,

The title says it all, I love music and have increasigly better gear to hear it but I am concerned about losing my hearing, People I knwo who are musicians or sound engineers can't really hear by the age of 40...

For example, how do you know what volume level is too much when listening to headphones and on a device that doens't really count dB? With speakers I use an SPL app on my phone to get a general idea about volume but obvioulsy headphones are different...

Thanks!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Avoid using in ear type earpieces , in fact just don't use them !

If you must use headphones use good quality ones preferably open backed types .

If you go to live music events always take a pair of in ear hearing protectors and do not be afraid to use them if the music gets uncomfortably loud even if your mates take the pi33 .

Something like these are perfect .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROGUARD-EAR-PLUGS-LIN-EAR-PR-20-MUSIC-EAR-PLUGS-DJ-MUSICIAN-EAR-PROTECTION-/291161773430?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Just be sensible and you should be Ok :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Unless you are really kicking the hoop out of listening with your in-ears, you should be fine. Actually in ears, with their noise reducing properties are probably a better bet inasmuch as you do not need to increase the volume to compensate so much for external noise.

Have regular hearing tests and wear hearing protection where necessary.

You can start by looking HERE and HERE.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Never switch on kit/start playing with ear-buds in your ears in case it starts at max vol.

Whenever you are exposed to enviromental noise wear ear-protectors or ear-plugs (such as on aircraft, at a race track, using power tools, shooting)

Don't take work in factory-floor environments

Get ear-buds moulded for your ears to minimise external sounds so you don't need to whack up the music volume

Don't listen to any music which is distorting due to poor mastering

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts