Yamaha Z7 vs Denon AVR4310 what would YOU choose? Considering now priced virtually same

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to replace my older Onkyo 906 with either a Denon AVR4310 or a Yamaha Z7 however ive seen various discussions when both were priced considerably different.

Now the 4310 has dropped to a reasonable price point and i am looking for some peoples opinions, i have read multiple reviews some of which state the Denon is a notch above the Z7 and vice versa. I am just really wondering what people here think ?

They will be paired with some Mordaunt Short Aviano Speakers ( floorstanders + surrounds ) in a 5.1 setup. 

I would just like to hear peoples thoughts on both these amps? I can pick up a Denon AVR4310 for approx £1200 as damaged box stock, or a second hand Z7 for around the same sort of money.

What would you choose and why? 

gar1975

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
you should be able to pick up a new z7 for around that price, sevenoaks (according to whathifi.com) were selling them for £1299. sorry that i havnt got an opinion about what one you should go for, i've not listened to either, just thought a new z7 at that price might help you make your decision.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I know you're thinking of buying second-hand, but i'd definitely go for an audition - the two have quite different sonic characters, and you (and your full-on speaker package) are likely to strongly prefer one over the other.

Personally I made a move from the earlier gen of your Onkyo - the '905 - to the Yamaha Z7 and benefited from an improvement in performance that suited my ears and my Morduant-Short package (albeit the fronts/centre from the bigger, Performance range).

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm wondering what your issues are with the Onkyo that are making you feel like changing it out.

The other question I'd be asking myself is. Does my speaker package have what it takes to make the most of an upgrade in receiver?

A

Anonymous

For me the Yamaha Z7, but then again I am biased because i owned one. I demo'd the Z7 against a Pioneer LX82 and chose the Z7 purely for its much more powerful but effortless sound!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:

The other question I'd be asking myself is. Does my speaker package have what it takes to make the most of an upgrade in receiver?

That package would certainly benefit from the extra control (and musicality) of the higher-end receivers, but yes, a bigger package would maximise the true performance benefits of the Yamaha or Denon. But then few people can afford to upgrade every component in a system all at once!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Big Chris:

That package would certainly benefit from the extra control (and musicality) of the higher-end receivers, but yes, a bigger package would maximise the true performance benefits of the Yamaha or Denon. But then few people can afford to upgrade every component in a system all at once!

Indeed. Just thought it was something to bear in mind if there was no future plan to change the speakers.

A

Anonymous

well tonally my 906 didn't match my aviano speakers to well and considering my recent listening to music on a more regular basis i decided to upgrade and sold my onkyo. However i am unsure if something like a 3310 or rxv3900 was actually much of an upgrade plus ive been told the step up to the z7 or 4310 is significant over the lower end stuff.

Speakers will be upgraded in future but not for moment, im using aviano 8 floorstanders and the matching rear and centre.

A

Anonymous

boxrick:
I am looking to replace my older Onkyo 906 with either a Denon AVR4310 or a Yamaha Z7 however ive seen various discussions when both were priced considerably different.

Now the 4310 has dropped to a reasonable price point and i am looking for some peoples opinions, i have read multiple reviews some of which state the Denon is a notch above the Z7 and vice versa. I am just really wondering what people here think ?

They will be paired with some Mordaunt Short Aviano Speakers ( floorstanders + surrounds ) in a 5.1 setup.

I would just like to hear peoples thoughts on both these amps? I can pick up a Denon AVR4310 for approx £1200 as damaged box stock, or a second hand Z7 for around the same sort of money.

I would take the Z7. I heard it today and was blown away!

A

Anonymous

That,s realy depand alot on your taste and preferences and your definition of good sound ,

both of these AVR. are good in their own right, but if you want a more powerfull and cleaner, detailed sound then you should go with Denon AVR-4310 .

boxrick:

Hi boxrick

I would opt for Yamaha's DSP-Z7. I believe the DSP-Z7 to be the finest VFM AV amplifier currently on the market irrespective of price (even at it's full RRP of £1960). A superb amplifier.
emotion-1.gif

For me Yamaha inspires confidence.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

A quick addition... I can pick up a good price on a 3310 also, is the 4310 and z7 that much better? Looking at the specs they are very similar however the 4310 is an extra 5 KG over the 3310.

Cheers for all the responses btw, just a difficult decision to make and i cannot really have a demo due to location :sÿ

So this will be bought purely on other peoples opinions and having heard the 2310 and 1065 myself.ÿ

We shall see...ÿ

A

Anonymous

Ok I had a quick listen to the AVR3310 and it seems pretty decent can anyone comment if the z7 and 4310 are *that* much of a step up?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
marco_1:

That,s realy depand alot on your taste and preferences and your definition of good sound ,

both of these AVR. are good in their own right, but if you want a more powerfull and cleaner, detailed sound then you should go with Denon AVR-4310 .

I guess this shows why you should listen for yourself. To me Denon are the opposite from what's been quoted above, smooth and refined but at the expense of dynamics and detail. That's not necessarily a bad thing if that's what you prefer from your sound. The other end of the sonic spectrum would be Pioneer, I'd place the Z7 somewhere between the two, probably closer to Pioneer than Denon.

A

Anonymous

pete321:marco_1:

I guess this shows why you should listen for yourself. To me Denon are the opposite from what's been quoted above, smooth and refined but at the expense of dynamics and detail. That's not necessarily a bad thing if that's what you prefer from your sound. The other end of the sonic spectrum would be Pioneer, I'd place the Z7 somewhere between the two, probably closer to Pioneer than Denon.

pete321: yes it,s true the denon are smooth and refine in it,s sonic characters ,but that dosn,t necessarily mean it,s less detailed, a product can be sounding detailed while the sound remain,s smooth and refine ... infact pioneer are long known for being bright sounding and the yamaha a little on the dark side , but then again that,s not necesserily a bad thing if it,s what u like in sound. but when it comes to power the denon is the king here , there is some measurment result from the HT lab on the internet that u can read if u are interrested...and it put the yamaha z7 a couple of steps behind.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
marco_1:when it comes to power the denon is the king here

To be honest I suspect most AV amps at this price point would have no trouble in driving most speakers, especially in bi-amp mode. The Z7 is renowned for it's ability to drive difficult loads as I'm sure the Denon is. For me it would come down to musical ability and then as we've both stated, that'll be dictated by your personal taste within the sonic spectrum. For me, that would mean I'd be considering the Z7 against the Pioneer LX82 rather than a Denon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts