Yamaha Z7 speaker setting 6 or 8ohms?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Speakers i have are pmc ob1 fronts (6ohms) pmc cb6 centre (6ohms) and pmc tb2 (8ohms).

Question is, the yamaha Z7 says to set speaker output to 6ohms if using  6ohm speakers, but as you can see i have both, any ideas what would be the right settings. If i was to use the 8ohm setting am i driving the front speakers better or am i driving my amp to an early grave?.

A

Anonymous

Your fronts will take most of the load, so set the amp to work best with them.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Will.

I suppose it was selfÿexplanatory thatÿ6ohm was the safe bet, but wondered if 8ohm was safe to use, thinking 8ohm may give more power from the amp, do you think i'm right to think that?

A

Anonymous

Thanks andrew.

I just wondered why there are such settings as i thought that the 6ohm load was some sort of "choke" on the amp to stop it overheating or going into some sort of distortion at high outputs.

Thanks for the clarification that either settings have been used on the pmc's with no problems andrew.

Btw, ÿthe yamaha and the pmc's work together great!

ÿ

ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The problem really only arises when using multiple speakers off a single amp output, as you might when using A+B front speakers in two rooms. Then the cumulative impedance might drop very low, giving the amp serious problems.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew.

Your advice has been very re-assuring and let me compliment "What Hifi" team and all the fellow enthusiasts that contribute to this website, what can only be best described asÿexemplary. No where else do i know of such hands on expertÿanalysisÿof equipment tested and then having the time for online internet problem solving. Brilliant!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts