Yamaha WXC-50 and iTunes

robdmarsh

OK guys, I've gone for the Yamaha wxc-50 streamer, got one at the discounted price (thumbs up!).

Connected it to my Marantz via toslink, connected via wifi to router, and I've downloaded the app. The fly in the ointment again seems to be iTunes. The Airplay button finds the Yamaha no problem and I can play music from the PC. But again, I can't find my music library with the MusicCast app. Surely I don't have to use a third party app like I did with the iEast Soundstream?

There must be some of you with the same set-up as me. Can you tell me what you do? I should add that I have an android phone and PC not Mac.

jjbomber

robdmarsh said:
he fly in the ointment again seems to be iTunes. Can you tell me what you do?

Avoid itunes. Far easier in the long run.

I notice WhatHiFi have run 5 ''news stories'' on Cr-Apple this week, even though they haven't launched anything nor done anything. I am glad the envelope made it through the snow.

robdmarsh

Yes, but why lose iTunes? Loads of people seem to say that but isn't it just an anti-Apple thing? Itunes works as an organisation system, looks fine, has constant updates and is user-friendly. When I look at "my music" in Windows it's a total mess and I can't find it all - bits of it seem to be strewn all over the place.

OK, so maybe Yamaha and Apple don't get on. I know that MusicCast does not support Apple music - but there must be a work around. What I'm using at the moment is the Retune app I dowloaded to use with the Soundstream. It works OK, but is another layer on top of MusicCast so not a very elegant solution. Sound quality wise, it's early days, but I'm liking what I'm hearing a lot. So far I've just tried the toslink connection into my Marantz m-cr603, but I'm impressed.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I do not use the MusicCast app only for stuff I’ve ripped into Flac by using the windows media player on a laptop but for airplay from iTunes I just use my iPad and that runs iTunes music and my own library using airplay .

but what your trying to do I do not think is possible

but I am also trying to part from iTunes myself as ones you start buying IPads and iPhones and anything that’s connected to apple it will end up costing you a small fortune as apple is very expensive even though I like the iPad very much as it’s a very useful tool for lots of different things .

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
what’ the purpose of the yamaha in your system please? music cast? it’s kind a weird streamer into streamer?

robdmarsh

Oh well, the Retune app is actually quite good when you get used to it and I can close MusicCast so it doesn't keep on popping up. I've just started a free Qobuz trial and it works very nicely. The bass seems to be a little more controlled when streaming FLAC with this service. Bass is a tad over-emphasised with tracks from iTunes.

Which leads me to ask if the equaliser settings work in MusicCast if I'm not using the pre-amp on the WXC-50? I can't detect any difference when changing them. Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question.

robdmarsh

The purpose of the Yamaha is so that I can stream my iTunes library first, maybe start using streaming services (hence the Qobuz free trial) and to listen to internet radio.

Are you suggesting that I'm not really using all of its functions and so it's a bit redundant?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
the cheapest way to try paid streaming services is from the pc you already own

if you don't want your pc in a way of enjoying internet radio or qobuz/ tidal/ spotify etc you could try chromecast audio.. it's got optical out and support 24/96 if you need it. cheap too, £30.. also, there are ways to play your itunes library on chromecast but - for that - you need your pc on.. do you have airplay on your marantz? if not or if it's not working properly ( typical on non apple products) you could add second hand airport express ( very stable aiplay, no dropouts).. so with £30 chromecast and £50 airport express you're done..

sonos connect will play any streaming service out there ( including apple music), it will also play your itunes library easily.. good app

my favourite device - auralic aries mini - will play your library content, tidal & qobuz, internet radio, airplay & bluetooth but what's most important it will act as NAS - it's got hard drive slot so you can load hdd/ ssd, upload all your own music there and keep adding more over your wifi ( as far as I know no other streamer got this function).. it's a server and DSD dac with analogue rca outs ( pre or fixed) as well as optical and coaxial outs plus excellent app.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
robdmarsh said:
Oh well, the Retune app is actually quite good when you get used to it and I can close MusicCast so it doesn't keep on popping up. I've just started a free Qobuz trial and it works very nicely. The bass seems to be a little more controlled when streaming FLAC with this service. Bass is a tad over-emphasised with tracks from iTunes. 

Which leads me to ask if the equaliser settings work in MusicCast if I'm not using the pre-amp on the WXC-50? I can't detect any difference when changing them. Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question.

All the equalizers and sound enhancement tech inside the Yamaha only work if you are using it as a pre-amp. However if you are using it as digital streamer to an outboard dac, then it doesn't make any difference.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Depending on the size of your library you can just copy it onto one of those tiny USB drives and plug that into the back of the Yamaha. AFAIK, the Yamaha is able to use libraries on local USB storage. That way you can take the PC / iTunes out of the loop altogether. You may have to sync with iTunes every so often, but at least you'll save on electricity bills by not having the PC on.

robdmarsh

Sorry, this should really be reply to 10.

I've gone for the Yamaha as I think it offers superior sound quality to Chromecast audio or Airport express as well as greater versatility in the future. I think it offers similar level of functionality to the Auralic aries mini you mentioned, without the HDD of course. I think I can get around that by using the usb drive at the back as suggested by Tino above. The Auralic is also quite a lot more expensive than the Yamaha. I know I will have to wean myself off iTunes eventually and get a NAS but at the moment it's working OK with the Retunes app.

Music streaming is baffling with devices costing £30 doing more or less the same job as those costing many hundreds but I think the Yamaha is a happy medium and offers me flexibility in the future. I can't see, for example, that a Cambridge CXN v2 has much more to offer yet costs £800.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
it depends.. i like the fact that is small and I can hide it away

so you think there is a sound quality digference between chromecast and yamaha but no so between yamaha and cambridge?

sometimes it’s worth to read this blog

http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

as well as compare 2 devices under controlled conditions yourself before making firm statements

robdmarsh

It's true I haven't heard the Cambridge CXN but the Yamaha is much superior to Chromcast audio. I haven't heard Sonos connect but I have a bit of irrational dislike of the aesthetics of their products! I also got the WXC-50 at a cheaper price than a Sonos connect.

iMark

We have a Yamaha R-N602. I know from experience that the MusicCast app doesn't "see" the iTunes library on my Mac Mini. Not a problem because I will simply use AirPlay on my Mac (which in fact is a multiroom system on the cheap: Yamaha in the Lounge, my computer speakers in my study and an Airport Express linked to the sound system in the bedroom).

On an iPhone or an iPad you can use the app called "Remote" to remotely control your iTunes library. We have the original iPad (almost completely obsolete, bought in 2010) which still works as a remote control for iTunes.

The MusicCast app is not much use for organising playlists. iTunes on the Mac is much easier.

robdmarsh

Hi Mark, having no iThing I can't do that but Retune is a pretty nice app and I'm quite fond of it. What do you think of the rn-602? I was thinking about one of those not so long ago, it reminds of the way hifi used to look.

I must say I'm enjoying the sound from the WXC-50, Qobuz is sounding amazing! (Better not get to used to it. I don't fancy paying £19.99 a month for a subscription!) The bass is pretty punchy from my Yamaha - almost overwhelming with some material. Is that what you find with the rn-602?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
robdmarsh said:
Yes, but why lose iTunes? Loads of people seem to say that but isn't it just an anti-Apple thing? Itunes works as an organisation system, looks fine, has constant updates and is user-friendly. When I look at "my music" in Windows it's a total mess and I can't find it all - bits of it seem to be strewn all over the place.

OK, so maybe Yamaha and Apple don't get on. I know that MusicCast does not support Apple music - but there must be a work around. What I'm using at the moment is the Retune app I dowloaded to use with the Soundstream. It works OK, but is another layer on top of MusicCast so not a very elegant solution. Sound quality wise, it's early days, but I'm liking what I'm hearing a lot. So far I've just tried the toslink connection into my Marantz m-cr603, but I'm impressed.

It's obviously an an illogical anti-Apple thing. The clue is in putting 'Cr' before 'Apple'.

iTunes has always worked seamlessly for me, even when using it simply for its library as I do when using Audirvana Plus. I can stream the library on one Mac to another somewhere else in the house too. Never had an issue.

iMark

robdmarsh said:
Hi Mark, having no iThing I can't do that but Retune is a pretty nice app and I'm quite fond of it. What do you think of the rn-602? I was thinking about one of those not so long ago, it reminds of the way hifi used to look.

We think the R-N602 is a terrific piece of kit. It's incredibly versatile and it covers all sources for us. It replaced three boxed: a stereo receiver, a DAC and an Aiport Express. The phono stage sounds very good, the DAC is fine and Airplay streaming works without a hitch. Fortunately the cable company here still provides an FM signal so the FM tuners gets some proper use too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts