Yamaha V863 + Kef 3005SE = good match?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm completely new to the Home cinema scene and have been doing some reading up on what my setup is going to look like.

My shortlist has currently been drilled down to the Yamaha V863 receiver (was considering the Onkyo SR606, but the reviews of the Yamaha have been much better) along with Kef's KHT-3005SE (I am also considering the 5005.2 series from Kef but they are very difficult to find for a decent price). Another speaker option is the Tannoy Arena series, but I have read so many raving reviews about the Kefs that it seems a no-brainer.

What I'm going to connect:

Apple TV (via component + optical or HDMI)

Pioneer HDD DVD recorder (via component + optical)

Nintendo Wii (via component)

Playstation 3 (via HDMI)

Digital box (via HDMI)

Will be connecting everything with existing Monster cables and newly bought QED cables.

I currently have a nearly 3 year old Sony Bravia 32" LCD which support 720p, but plan to replace with something better in the next 12 months.

I want to have a setup that makes a nice balance between movie quality sound and music quality sound. I am by no means a fussy audiophile, but can enjoy a good sounding system. I believe in doing things right!

How do you feel the speakers and receiver will match if you look at what I'll be throwing at it? Are the speakers too high-end for this relatively cheap receiver?

I appreciate any inputs given! Many thanks!

A

Anonymous

Don't want to complicate things for you but feel you should be aware if you want to save a few £££.

I am in the same situation using a PS3 as my BluRay player and will continue to.

So through research I have found out that because the PS3 always decodes the audio codecs of all audio formats inc. the top ones- True HD and DTS HD MA (think thats what it is called) and transmits via LPCM (decompressed audio) there no longer is a requirement to buy the 863 which decodes compressed True HD and DTS HD MA, as this action is already performed at source (PS3). There is no way a PS3 can transmit compressed audio in bitstream format, which all of the latest BD players do.

So simply put, an older model of amp with hdmi 1.2a will do the exact same job as the more expensive 1.3a models (863) when you use a PS3 as your BD player. For this reason I myself am purchasing the Yamama DSP861AX via Amazon (previous model of the 863) at less the half the price £250 (RRP £699) as it is now discontinued.

...But, if you do want to be future-proofed and if you later want to add a dedicated BD player that transmits audio as bitstream (compressed) you do need the 1.3a decoding capacity of the 863.

But if you intend to keep the PS3 as your BD player, you don't need the 863 - functionally it will go you no more - at double the price.

After research I found many forum threads discussing and confirming this fact.

The choice is yours, but I chose to save £250+.

And least now you can make an informed purchase.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
blaster master:But if you intend to keep the PS3 as your BD player, you don't need the 863 - functionally it will go you no more - at double the price.

Spec wise may be the same but it might be a much better sound - I think we discussed this and I couldn't tell you what the difference was and from the look of the other thread, no one else knows either! So yes, in terms of spec, you get everything you need with the 861 if using the PS3, but that doesn't mean they will perform the same. Only way to tell is to listen to them both.

Just a heads up.

A

Anonymous

I only pressed the purchase button for this item less than an hour ago.

I just needed reassurance!
emotion-1.gif

Prof - yes we did discuss this and I did agree. It just may change a purchase decision depending on priorities.

A

Anonymous

Yes I mean the Yamaha RX-V863... at least thats how its sold in the Netherlands. I understood from various reviews that there is a special UK version which would explain the slight difference in name.

As for the idea of using the PS3 for the foreseeable future... I have considered it. I think the PS3 is a great multimedia device with one major flaw though. That is the fact that it doesn't accept IR remote signals out of the box. So it doesn't talk to my Harmony One without a USB IR receiver, and even then the functionality leaves a lot to be desired.

Another reason is that I plan to get a BD/HDD recorder whenever these start coming out.

Finally, I would expect that in due course HD broadcasts will start coming in with HD sound as well. This would require HDMI 1.3.

All-in-all I'd rather spend a few hundred extra now, to prevent the frustration of having made the wrong choice in a few years time. Just seems to make more sense at the moment.

Thanks for all the input so far though!

Fisty1967

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
I got my hands on the yammy DSP-AX863SE and KEF3005's in October. Connected them using QED silver micro cable (small enough to be hidden under carpet next to gripper rod) and QED Performance subwoofer cable.

I thought it sounded great when I set it all up.

But now its had a few months to run in - it sounds even better.

I think the two are a great combination. Why not have a demo at your local shop to hear for yourself ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts