YAMAHA RXV475, low volume dialog, high volume everything else?

mel2ibiza

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I am currently using the YAMAHA RXV475, 2 TANNOYMERCURY V1i speakers as my right & left and the Tannoy Revolution D4C LCR as my centre.One of the things ive noticed is that the voices are often quite low with the music/sfx etc is quite loud. I have already done the YPAO setup but hasnt solved this.

I cant seem to find anything the menu or manual for volume leveling, it seems to happen all the time with full 1080 HD films.

Any ideas?

Cheers

D

Deleted member 116933

Could you just up the Centre channel level? or is that there is somthing else going on.

Dialog can be pretty soft sometimes in films though. When they wisper it should sound like there wispering if you get my meaning...

Also sometimes the EQ can make it sound soft try running the amp in direct mode and see if that makes any difference.

mel2ibiza

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply millennia_one.

I was thinking that would be the best thing, but I heard that the centre speaker doesnt only carry Dialog, so it would be counter productive?

Its definitely not wispers, just regular converstion. So i have to turn it way up to hear, then an action sequence kicks in and the house shakes lol.

By EQ do you mean the YPAO?, unfortunetely this was an issue before I did the YPAO or indeed purchased the centre speaker, I actually got centre speaker in the hope of solving this.

Ill give the highering the volume of centre and shot and report back.

Really appreciate you help.

cheers

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
mel2ibiza said:
By EQ do you mean the YPAO?, unfortunetely this was an issue before I did the YPAO or indeed purchased the centre speaker, I actually got centre speaker in the hope of solving this.

You've re-run all that since connecting the centre speaker up though, yes?

mel2ibiza

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, once centre speaker was connected I re-ran the YPAO. Did seem to make most things alot clearer, but all 1080 HD have the dialog issue.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Not an uncommon issue. Older ears dont help. Turn centre up and use as little processing as possible (turn off all eq) is my only suggestion. Does your amp give an option to reduce the dynamic range (max/normal/min or similar)? Ensure tweeters are pointed towards yr ears & a little less toein on fronts?

Let me know if anything helps!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

If your remote and receiver are like mine, you can adjust the dialogue in two ways. On your remote, press the 'option' button, highlight 'Adaptive DRC', and turn to 'On'. You may or may not have the next option, but of you have 'Dialogue Adjust', turn that on to the max, which on my receiver is '3'.

Also check that you have the receiver set to your individual speaker set up, and not on 5.1.

D

Deleted member 116933

No problem. And yes by EQ i mean the YPAO and think the best advise is below/above turn off the EQ! it can do wounderus things with relections and such in room but i find it can congest the dialogue alot. best way to do it is while watching a film, flick between "Pure direct mode" or some such (named slightly different things on different amps but should have the word direct in it some where) its should open the amp right up! you might be suprised and actually prefer it!

Still no joy go right back to basics and turn all the eq off and filddle with the position on the center channel (similar advise above). Try raising the front portion of the channel up so that it aimed at your nose (if possble). Im having a simialr problem at the moment and find the running amp on pure direct the best way.

Really the only thing that need eq'ing in my opinion is the subwoofer as they are normally placed where we can fit them in which is normally less than ideal.

Also try lowing the subwoofer volume if you have it set hot as it can also colour the dialgue/other channles.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Turn all EQ off?? Sounds wrong. Whats the point of all the eq circuitry? BUT - I kinda agree.- eq seems to muffle the sound. Logic outa the window then? My sub has its own eq which may help but kinda strange that all these bells and whistles simply kill the clarity/fidelity in a stroke.

mel2ibiza

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to millennia_one, The_Lhc, RobinKidderminster &BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW for your replies

I increased the centre volume by 10 decibels and it seem to work well, granted some of the action sequences where still alot louder so was tempted to go in a lower the right and left by 2 decibels. However now im gonna have look later at the Adaptive Dynamic Range Control and see how I get on, ive checked manual and that can be applied to a specific input. That would be a better suit if it work, as when im watching regular tv I have to lower the volume alot. So if it work I can keep volume constant.

No sub woofer or surrounds (yet) to worry about and Ive set the receiver to know ive only the 2 channels. Not sure about the Pure Direct, as when im on the input for the TV box the sound is 100% perfect, its only on my media box (and HD films) where the problem arises. So assigning a fix to 1 input might be best.

Ill do it later and see how im fixed and post back.

Once again, thanks lads I appreciate this big time

cheers

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mel2ibiza said:
Thanks to millennia_one, The_Lhc, RobinKidderminster &BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW for your replies

I increased the centre volume by 10 decibels and it seem to work well, granted some of the action sequences where still alot louder so was tempted to go in a lower the right and left by 2 decibels. However now im gonna have look later at the Adaptive Dynamic Range Control and see how I get on, ive checked manual and that can be applied to a specific input. That would be a better suit if it work, as when im watching regular tv I have to lower the volume alot. So if it work I can keep volume constant.

No sub woofer or surrounds (yet) to worry about and Ive set the receiver to know ive only the 2 channels. Not sure about the Pure Direct, as when im on the input for the TV box the sound is 100% perfect, its only on my media box (and HD films) where the problem arises. So assigning a fix to 1 input might be best.

Ill do it later and see how im fixed and post back.

Once again, thanks lads I appreciate this big time

cheers

You can just change the the Adapative DRC very easily with the remote (as I said above), so no real need to assign it, just turn it on when you feel you need it.

As for 2 channels, I'm trusting you meant 3, because if you only have 2, that would explain the low volume with dialogue, as nothing would be coming through the centre speaker.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Contrary to BBB, tho not to argue or dismiss his suggestion, I just found my DRC on auto and turned it OFF. I THINK it has improved the clarity of speech and opened up the soundstage. I am still experimenting with this setting and the Dynamic Range min/norm/max.

I am sure it will depend on individual receiver but also on all the other settings - all of which must interact with one another. And ofcourse all the other hardware & acoustic differences.

Just to say its worth getting to know all the different settings and when eventually you have tried the infinite combinations of settings then u will be as old as me and be on the look out for hifi hearing aids.

Good luck & report back with successes. Much greater value than the ever more annoying cable debates.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

RobinKidderminster said:
Contrary to BBB, tho not to argue or dismiss his suggestion, I just found my DRC on auto and turned it OFF. I THINK it has improved the clarity of speech and opened up the soundstage. I am still experimenting with this setting and the Dynamic Range min/norm/max.

What it does do though Rob(in), is reduce the volume of loud explosions etc, so it means that you can push the overall volume up. Personally I keep it off too, but for general tv viewing I turn the Dialogue Level in Dialogue Adjust up to 3, but I@m not sure if the OP's receiver has this feature.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I do wonder what 'Dialogue Adjust' does, or rather how it does it. Tho it is academic in my case since I aint got that ! I also wonder how many of these 'setting tweaks' are turned off in Pure Direct.

I guess I have one thing right - infinite combinations. (Not prepared to do the calculations right now but its a lot) :)

mel2ibiza

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey

So here's the update:

With the centre turned up the action sequences where still quite loud, so I turned on DRC and it sorted everything. The loud gun fire or explosion scenes were on par with the talking.

I accept that this isnt the idea way to enjoy a film, but late and night and if my GF is in bed it doesnt effect here which is the main thing.

Long term ill have my sub woofer and 2 surround speakers in my man cave, but until then ive to keep the peace lol.

Thanks lads for all your help :)

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Good result then. Different to mine but the discussions have been useful to explore some of the pandoras box of options and controls humming away in our living rooms.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mel2ibiza said:
Hey

So here's the update:

With the centre turned up the action sequences where still quite loud, so I turned on DRC and it sorted everything. The loud gun fire or explosion scenes were on par with the talking.

I accept that this isnt the idea way to enjoy a film, but late and night and if my GF is in bed it doesnt effect here which is the main thing.

Long term ill have my sub woofer and 2 surround speakers in my man cave, but until then ive to keep the peace lol.

Thanks lads for all your help :)

Glad you got there in the end.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts