Yamaha RXV3900 problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Wasn't a overheating problem, amp still did it even when in air conditioned room sitting on top of a cabinet.

I will getting a fan similar to PC fan and cut and fit into timber side of cabinet, a neat grille will finish it off.

I have just installed new RXV 3900, maybe 3rd time lucky. Lets hope.

A

Anonymous

Yes, literal smoke ;p I didn't receive a diagnosis of the problem, but it is most likely a bad capicitor or overheating no?

A

Anonymous

3900 installed and set up, no problems so far. Time will tell, with the other 2 amps the problem occured after a week only.

A

Anonymous

3rd amp faulty as well, have had it less than a day!
emotion-12.gif

A

Anonymous

yip, switched off within a second of switching on. Very frustrating!

A

Anonymous

And it refused to switch on after that?

Could there be a short circuit somewhere? Maybe try out a 1900 with your system instead to see whether the same problem recurs?

Is Yamaha sure that they replaced your unit from another non-defective batch?

I would also be really frustrated if I were in your shoes. We're supposed to be getting pleasure and not frustration after spending all that $$$?

A

Anonymous

The only way to get it working again is to unplug it from the mains for a few seconds.

No short circuits with house wiring coz the same thing happened when plug in at the shop.

I'm not sure Yamaha knows which batch is which.

I'm considering the Yamaha Z7 or another brand all together.

The last 2 months have been very frustrating.

A

Anonymous

Never any smoke involved?

I am just waiting for my V1900 to go again.

A

Anonymous

Hi Charl, Mark here, from New Zealand.

I was googling "3900 problem" and came across

this discussion. I've had a 3900 for about 2 weeks and it is doing exactly the same

thing as you describe. Now that I know it is obviously a fault I'll be contacting the

Yamaha dealer on Monday.

A

Anonymous

Latest Update courtesy of the AVS Forum:

Query- Originally Posted by astropolak

Hi
My brand new RX-V3900 does go into a protection lock and will not power up mostly first thing in the morning. If you try to power up again it switches on for a fraction of a second and goes off again. To clear I need to remove power plug or power cycle at the wall socket.
This is my second RX-V3900 doing the same thing !!!

Reply:

Yamaha are aware of the problem and Japan are about to release a FW update to resolve this issue. My Z7 does this 1 in every 10 power ups.

A

Anonymous

Mark,

The firmware on my amps were the latest version 1.04 and it's still doing it. Pity the Z7 is doing it as well, i was thinking of rather getting the Z7.

Terminal,

No smoke came from my amps. Let us know if your 1900 lasts.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I hope that Yamaha sort this out soon - for your sake, Charl - but also as they will go from hero to zero pretty quickly otherwise. ÿHave you thought of going back to your 3800 - or maybe that isn't possible? ÿI'm still in love with mine

A

Anonymous

Apparently Yamaha will be releasing firmware updates within a week to sort the issue out, i saw this on another AV forum. Yamaha hasn't come back to the local supplier with a solution, so i hope the firmware update story is correct.

I thought of getting my old 3800 back but the shop sold it last week.

A

Anonymous

Hi Charl,

Looks like we'll have to wait on the new firmware.

Pretty poor quality control that this AMP was able

to get to market, worldwide, with such a major fault!

Mark

A

Anonymous

Hi Mark,

That was my thoughts as well, how did this fault manage to go unnoticed at testing. I hope the firmware sorts it out.

The shop that you bought your amp from, how many have they sold? How many have they had returned?

A

Anonymous

Hi Charl,

I purchased my 3900 directly from the NZ Yamaha agent. I'll talk to them tomorrow about the fault.

If they were aware of it I think that they'd have put me in the picture beforehand.

This model has only just been released here and I doubt that huge numbers have been sold.

Mark

A

Anonymous

Update: The NZ Yamaha agents say they were unaware of the fault.

They are now!
emotion-1.gif
They will be contacting Japan. I'll advise when (if?)

I hear anything.

Mark

A

Anonymous

How do we test the receiver to see whether the fault exists or not? Do we just leave it on for say 10 hours until it shuts off?

So, right now it affects the 3900, 1900 and Z7?

A

Anonymous

The fault will occur as soon as you turn on the AMP from standby.

"Main Power" lights up in the LCD display for a second and then the AMP returns

to standby. You have to unplug the unit to reset it and then it will turn on OK.

It will continue to operate indefinitely while on and switching on/off from standby

works OK. Next day the AMP will not switch on again from standby.

So...if your AMP switches on OK from start up it is likely not faulty.

Only personally aware that it affects the 3900. Read reports about the Z7.

Unsure about the 1900.

A

Anonymous

So, the problem only occurs when switching On from "standby"? What about switching On from "Off"?

Does it only happen when using the remote control to switch the unit On or does it also happen when using the On/Off switch on the unit?

So, after resetting, it will operate normally for the rest of the day but the problem will recur the next day after being on standby for say 8 hours or more?

If the problem is due to a firmware issue and not due to a hardware problem, then shouldn't it affect all units and not just selected units?

Any official response from Yamaha yet?

A

Anonymous

It happens when switching from standby and from off, also happens when using the remote or on/off switch of the unit.

After resetting it works fine and the problem occurs after it has been off for a certain period.

I've had 3 RXV 3900 and all of them were faulty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts