YAMAHA RXV3800 vs RXV1900

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I just saw a deal on the Yamaha RXV3800 for 1000 euros. The RXV1900 goes for about 1350 euros.

Is it worth getting the older model at that price? The RXV3900 is way outside my budget, the RXV1900 is kind of pushing the limit - but I could do it and postpone a few other items for a little while longer.

I have only auditioned the RXV863, Denon 1909, Onkyo TXSR606 so far. They were all hooked up to the B&W MT30 and sounded good. Also heard the JAMO D6 THX 5.1 set up that day. It sounded better than the MT30, but I can't put those in my living room because of the lay out and deco.

I'll be auditioning the B&W XT series next time I get a chance. Even considering starting with the MT30 and then adding to XT4s later to make it a 7.1 - but I'm getting ahead of myself...

First, which Amp?

Thanks for any input/opinions.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I have the RX-V3800 - it's a great receiver, which I bought when the price came tumbling. ÿIt was highly recommended by my dealer (HiFix) over the competition from Denon, Onkyo etc, particularly at the new price point. ÿI have been particularly impressed by huge amounts of power on the one hand and clarity with speech and delicate effects on the other. ÿHaving tinkered with crossover settings, I am now extremely happy with music (CD) via 'straight' (fronts + sub).

I would expect the 3800 to outperform all of the mid-range receivers you've auditioned. ÿI did read that my friends at HiFix rate the new 1900 very slightly above it. ÿHowever, I didn't get the impression that the difference was huge and you also have network capabilities with the 3800, although I don't actually use them. ÿThe 3800 price is mighty tempting!

A

Anonymous

I have the RXV 3800 as well and agree with Sorreltiger, it's a great amp. I will be saying goodbye to the RXV 3800 in the morning tho, in less than 12 hours i will be collecting the RXV 3900!
emotion-1.gif

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Of course, there's a review of the 1900 and the 3900 in next week's mag - I'm keen to see what it says, as WHF never reviewed the 3800, although it received plaudits from the competition! ÿSo far, Clare & co remain tight-lipped..................

A

Anonymous

Thanks Sorreltiger & Charl. I was kinda thinking along those lines...

Any thoughts on the B&W MT30 and XT4 mix?

A

Anonymous

sorry Mike, can't help with the speakers. I haven't heard them. I have Paradigm speakers set up in 7.1 for cinema.

A

Anonymous

Hi Mike.legio,

I would go for the RX-V3800 over all the amps suggested. The speaker package you've suggested is good too. The great thing about the RX-V3800 is that if you decide to upgrade the speakers in the future, the amplifier will still be able to produce the goods.

I currently use the RX-V3800 in my set up with M+K speakers, but i have heard the B+W at my local dealers shop.

To put your mind at ease further, i had the opportunity to take home a Denon 4308 (£2000) amplifier to test and it paled in comparison to the sheer size, weight, clarity, depth and detailed sound the Yamaha was producing!

Regards

Raihan

A

Anonymous

Thanks Raihan.

I'm going for it on... purchasing it online today!
emotion-2.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
UPDATE: Both the Yamaha RX-V1900 and RX-V3900 have been tested and the results are in. We'll be publishing them in the Jan 09 issue of the mag, on sale Dec 11th.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sorreltiger: I did read that my friends at HiFix rate the new 1900 very slightly above it. However, I didn't get the impression that the difference was huge and you also have network capabilities with the 3800, although I don't actually use them. Yes, from my initial impressions, the 1900 did sound a little better, which I've put down to the multi-point auto setup. But as you've said, it's not too much of a difference to worry about, and many people may prefer some of the extra features of the 3800 like the network/internet radio functions. The 3900 has a more comprehensive menu, and is more user configurable regarding crossover frequencies etc, which can now be set individually rather than just a single point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts