Yamaha RX-V3900 with PMC speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have a hifi based on PMC DB1i and Naim and a home cinema with Yamaha and B&W. I want to combine the Naim and PMC speakers with a new AV amp and 3 more PMC speakers, then sell the old amp and B&W's. I've seen some great deals on the Yamaha amp but are the PMC's a good match with the Yamaha or should I be considering somthing else?

Many thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you're talking about using the Naim to drive the front left and right and add the 3900 in to do the processing and centre and rear duties, it should be fine, although I'd look at the DSPZ7 for driving the PMC's rather than the 3900. It's power supply can better handle speakers of this calibre, which should even things up a little more. If the PMC centre isn't driven properly by the AV amp, it'll sound very different to the DB1i's, and lack integration. Z7's can be had for around £1,500 now, so worth the little extra over the 3900.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply David, I had also been looking at the Z7 but wasn't sure the system would warrant the additional power of the Z7 as I would only be driving 3 channels. As for the centre channel and surrounds, I've been looking at the PMC Wafer 1's instead of the matching dedicated centre speaker. PMC say Wafers are voiced the same as the DB1i and will integrate well, but getting a demo is difficult. Is this a speaker set up you have ever heard?

Andy.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andy

Even though you're only driving the front 3, the DSPZ7 will still drive them better. The DSPZ7 power supply shares more in common with the DSPZ11 than it does the RXV3900.

Sorry, not heard the Wafer, but I can't help thinking that a speaker that is a lot smaller than the two either side of it isn't going to sound the same. You'd have to set it to a higher crossover point than the left and right which means it will only sound similar in the mid/high frequency range (which to be honest, is the case with most centres anyway). It will depend how fussy you want to be about it. For ultimate matching, get the matching centre. If there are other circumstances are at play, then it'll match the DB1i's much better than anything else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts