Yamaha RX-V1065, RX-V765 or Marantz SR6003

Heyjijdaar

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Should I go with the new RX-V1065 (€749), RX-V765 (€550) or one of the last Marantz SR6003 (€680)?

I have got a Tannoy Arena set with TS300 subwoofer. I can't listen to them with my speakers, so would buy them blind. I don't like sharp tones and like to hear detailled little warm sounds. Are all of this good enough for the Tannoy Arena's?

I need to decide this evening... which one would you pick?

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I will be honest I have not listened to these back to back, but I have had my 6003 for a while now and am very happy with it in AV and stereo duties, would recommend it without hesitation.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
But isn't there an issue with the Marantz SR6003 not being able to use the Audsessey settings when decoding the HD sound formats onboard (HD Master, TrueHD).

Does the Marantz still sound ok despite this? Or do you decode at the source (blu ray player)?

A

Anonymous

I would also air very slightly with the Marantz, altough I would like to hear the answer to Pistol Petes question.

I have Mordaunt Short Alumni's 5.1's (speakers I could talk the wife into), connected to Yamaha's Dsp-ax 763 and although I enjoy the sound with both movies and music ( I am no audiophile), upgrade itis is worse than swine flu.

I am thinking about the Marantz for an upgade, while i work on the wife about different speakers.

PS music played on Marantz CD5003 hooked up to the Yamaha.

Heyjijdaar

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I personally like the Marantz apparance. I want to buy it in black, because the silver/gold colour isn't easy to match.

However one of my best friends is a Yamaha dealers, so I know that I'll get really good service and price on the Yamaha's.

Comparing the Yamaha 1065 and Marantz SR6003 isn't possible, because the Yamaha is not out right now.

Any thoughts about choosing between the two? Is the HD-audio problem fixed on the Marantz?

A

Anonymous

Hi Pistol Pete,

Has this operation set up put you off the SR6003 as a future upgrade? or are you keeping your options for upgrades open.

What receivers are on your short list, if this is the case?

Mine are Yam RX-1065, Marantz Sr5003/6003 or Denon's new AVR-1910, Pioneer VSX-1019.

I am a firm believer in letting your own ears choose for you, not to put total faith in reviews. However trailing round organising demo's can be so time consuming, to this end the opinions of other forum members can be invaluable.

I have been happy with my receiver, but I am now looking for more options(2 HDMI limits future expansion).

Best regards

A

Anonymous

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined the forums and this thread is the exact dilemma that I am currently in. I am building my first AV system including TV and can't quite stretch to the Yamaha RX-V1900.

I will be pairing my receiver with B&W MT-25 or MA R90 HD10 speakers so any feedback on their suitability would be appreciated. I will be using my system equally for both music and cinema.

The only thing stopping me getting the Marantz is

a. The as yet unknown quality of the two new Yamahas.

b. The fact that WHF haven't yet reviewed the 6003. Although every owners comments on this forum seems to be very positive so not as much of an issue.

One last question, why is it potentially a problem that the Marantz Audyssey settings can't be used with the HD audio formats. What are you potentially losing and do any owners actually miss this function?

Thanks in advance

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

But isn't there an issue with the Marantz SR6003 not being able to use the Audsessey settings when decoding the HD sound formats onboard (HD Master, TrueHD).

Does the Marantz still sound ok despite this? Or do you decode at the source (blu ray player)?

I am sorry I cant answer this one I do not have a Blue Ray Player so no HD sound sources, the unit sounds Great with DVD and Music CD I do have seperate Power Amplification Hooked up to mine. There are lots of threads on other forums about the 6003 I am sure you will find users there who have tried the unit with HD sources.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the forums jaimisUK.

I say this a lot, but have a listen to the Tannoy Arena if you can, as I found it to be a very good package, (I thought better than the MT-30 when I demod; I never listened to the MAs, but they're supposed to be very good). The strong point on the MT-30 was the sub, but it didn't really seem to be any better then the Arena one, and the satellites, for me, were lacking at high frequency, which also affects detail. The KEF 5005 satellites were very good when I demod as well, (though I still think the Arenas shaded it), but the sub lets it down, especially for music.

In terms of amplifiers, while I haven't heard the SR6003, I can say that the SR6001 that I have is very good to my ears. I've been really impressed with it for both music, (using its DACs), and film, (only from DVD, so no HD sound, as I haven't got into BlueRay yet).

I've read elsewhere that the SR6003 is a rival to the RXV1900 in sound quality.

It does seem to be odd that when decoding onboard the Audyssey doesn't kick in. The room equalisation increases the sound quality a lot for my room. However, you can always get a player that decodes HD audio onboard and feed it to the amp as LPCM via the HDMI, and you're still getting the same HD sound. The SR6001 has no onboard decoding so that's what I'll be doing when I go BlueRay, and it also means the commentaries and stuff can be mixed into the BlueRay sound which isn't possible when decoding on the amp.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Kinda.

I have slowly narrowed my speaker selection down to the B&W and MA's because 'the wife' is having a say when it comes to the looks and style of the speakers! I did show her the Tannoy Arenas and the highline 300 but they didn't get the seal of approval. I am going to try one last time with the Arenas because Richer Sounds do them for £450 which is a lot cheaper than my other two choices even when you include the rather expensive Arena stands. I am not expecting much luck though :-(

If I decode the HD audio on the BD player and output as LPCM to the SR6003 will that produce a different quality of sound compared to decoding in the receiver? Or is it just a standard decode process not added to or enhanced by the hardware doing the decode?

Thanks in advance.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
As it's lossless, the LPCM needs to come out exactly the same as when it was encoded. It's like an unzipping process, so whether its done at the amp or the player it should come out exactly the same.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts