Yamaha rx a1030 or pioneer sc lx57 matched with b&w mt60d?

vish979

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone just needed some advice on pairing with b&w mt60d speaker package. The review states that the speakers can be bright therefore as pioneers in the past have been bright on the treble was considering going for yamaha however the sc-lx57 review states it's not as bright on treble previous models. Any suggestions on which combo would work better??

vish979

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
vish979 said:
Hi everyone just needed some advice on pairing with b&w mt60d speaker package. The review states that the speakers can be bright therefore as pioneers in the past have been bright on the treble was considering going for yamaha however the sc-lx57 review states it's not as bright on treble previous models. Any suggestions on which combo would work better??

Also if you feel any other speaker packages are suitable for the two amps above please comment. Need a style speaker package with a good sub.

vish979

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately none of the shops near where I live have the mt60d speakers. The amps are available for me to demo with Cambridge audio minx or q accoustics q7000 or other style speaker packages but not the b&w mt60d. I might just have to travel to get them heard together so I can match the speakers properly.

D

Deleted member 2457

vish979 said:

I wouldn't worry about the Pioneer amps being bright with the B&W MT60 package I have owned the MT30 package and it was an excellent combination, better than the Yamaha in my opinion. There was no brightness at all. It is a very good combination.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Aha.......but this is the new Aventage range of Yamaha which didn't exist when you demoed with your MT30. :)

How have they changed then? This Pioneer and B&W combination will take some beating. Quite a few on here own it.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Yamaha has gone up a few notches with Aventage line: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/5/prweb10774509.htm The OP can't go wrong with either Pioneer or Yamaha, and a demo is strongly recommended.

Agreed.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
More details here: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/?keyword=2AVENTAGEAVRECEIVERS&type=custom&ref=http%3a%2f%2fwww.prweb.com%2freleases%2f2013%2f5%2fprweb10774509.htm

:cheers:

Ksutty

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Im in a similar position now and was curious as to which option you went for in the end and your conclusions on your end purchase.

ClassAct

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, just purchased the Bowers & Wilkins Mt60d package with the PV1D subwoofer. Thought it was really transparent and thorough with detail yet still an expansive and strong soundstage. First ever B & W system I've owned and was really impressed with their signature sound. It was miles ahead of a Monitor Audio MASS 5.1 system I demo'd at another showroom.

With regards to the receiver I eventually chose the rx-a1030 over the other three receivers that were in the demo. These were the Pioneer sc-lx57, Denon x4000 and the Arcam avr380. The Pioneer surprised me as I was expecting it to be too bright or forward, especially paired with the mt60. However both the detail and the bass was exceptional with real clarity and never too harsh. When the Yamaha was hooked up though the sound was much more toy personal liking. The bass, treble and midrange was far more punch with no perceived loss of detail. There was far more weight and muscle behind it as the reviews have described. The MCCAC auto set up looked more easy and sounded more accurate that YPAO or Audyssey (correct me if I'm wrong). The pioneer would be a must listen but it's whether you'll still be happy with it after a couple of hours of listening or it may appear too "forward". Remember it's a major commitment purchase and you'd need to be one hundred percent satisfied.

The Denon x4000 may be an option for you as it does represent a cheaper choice , I was disappointed with the sound though, it was just slightly too flat although it did retain some of that distinctive Denon Sound. You have to bear in mind that Denon regularly participate in price cuts and have to evaluate whether the x4000 was ever worth it's original RRP of £1,200. It may be a false economy.

The final curveball was the Arcam avr380 that the sales assistant threw in, this was the most expensive at £1,599. It doesn't have near as many features compared to the others and the focus is on quality components alone. It was transparent and full bodied, music and dialogue kept up with surround effects on a variety of material. An extremely cohesive piece of kit.

My choice was then narrowed down to the Yamaha or the Arcam. Perhaps the Arcam drives the mt60s better and is more of all rounder, especially with music. The wow factor belonged to the Yamaha though and was just more impressive. Its far more weighty and muscular yet can still be crisp with detail, with that lovely warm Yamaha sound. The jump in any quality was not justified by the 600 quid more price and sacrifice in features. The other factor I had to bear in mind is I require a space-saving satellite/lifestyle system that can never be driven too hard as I live in a new build, top floor apartment with laminate flooring and plasterboard walls. I will be investing in a sound insulation too. This is also why the PV1D sub is beneficial as its sidewards firing. The Yamaha can provide me with that huge punchy soundscape without having to crank the volume up. Plus if you're showing off your system and want to impress others in my opinion the Yamaha is the go to option. The wow factor will really put a smile of your face.

Excellent build quality, exceptional list of specifications, renowned reliability, great sound and a £190 discount is what sealed it for me. Use your mk1 ears to make your decision.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts