YAMAHA RX A1020 VS ONKYO TX NR 818

skipper

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi.Im up grading from the Onkyo 608 and am torn between these two!.Im using B&W 684s as front speakers.Im leaning towards the Yamaha because of its 4k passthrough ,which the 818 doesnt have (future proofing) but having lived with the 'Onkyo sound for the last 3 years courtesy of the '608,Im concerned that I might find the Yamaha sound a bit too 'laid back'(WHF June 2013?)

Thanx

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Get the Yamaha.

I went from an Onkyo 609 to a Yamaha RX-A2020 a couple of months ago and have been grinning from ear to ear since I got it. You should have no fears about the 1020 sounding 'laid back' as it doesn't, it has superior surround steering and processing and is a far better option than the 818.

The Yamahas have plenty of attack and sound fantastic and as you are going from a 608 to a 1020 the difference in sound quality will be even greater than I experienced, I was shocked and just how superior my 2020 is across the board...it makes a real difference to my system and it finally feels like I'm getting the most from my speakers. Don't hesitate and get the 1020, you won't regret it that's for sure ;)

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I got a RX A1020 a few weeks ago, and I am enjoying it so far.

So far, I have only used it for internet radio, and playing high definition FLACs via the usb port, but already the sound quality shows great promise. This I will explore further, once I have bought some more hdmi and optical cables, followed by an ipad to stream music to the RX A1020.

I hope you enjoy whichever receiver you choose.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
skipper said:
Thanks Oldboy,Expat.I am arranging an audition of the Yamaha this week.Lets see what happens!

No worries.

An audition is a good idea, could you arrange to hear both during the same audition? That would be very useful in making your mind up if you could arrange it, I found the 818 to be not enough of an upgarde when I considered it to replace my 609 but that's just a personal choice and your tastes may well prefer the 818 so try to audition both if you can.

Enjoy the audition and report back with how it goes and what your thoughts are and most of all...enjoy :)

T

the record spot

Very happy 818 owner here. Very impressed with the capabilities of this versatile amp. Music performance is excellent, refined but powerful sound. The Yammy's no doubt a good performer too.

TRENDING THREADS