Yamaha or Marantz for movie and music reproduction?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I think i'm close to making a decision to which amp to upgrade to from my Onkyo 606.

Shortlist:

Yamaha DSP AX863SE (yes my local shop has one left in stock) which I have a demo with today. Still not overly keen on the orange display thou.

Marantz SR5003 - Described by one shop as 'one of the most musical amp at that price bracket', on their website.

Marantz SR6003 - (funds permitting) - Described in a rival magazine as 'a musical peach', when describing stereo reproduction.

Unfortunately, finding a demo nearby with the Marantz amps is a nightmare........

Anyone know much about them?

Or have I missed an amps of the shortlist, that need my attention and would be worthy upgrades from an Onkyo 606?

This upgrade will obviously replace my 606, but also my Marantz PM6010 KI will get the chop too, which is why I'm after an av amp that will do both jobs in one. Both will be ending up on a well known internet auction site soon....hopefully.

A

Anonymous

Both the Yamaha and Marantz (especially the '6003 model) are fairly musical - at this price bracket.

However, do not expect them to be anywhere near the performance - for 2-channel music play-back - of an entry-level 2-channel integrated amplifier.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for reply dan,

I realise they will be nothing like having a dedicated 2 channel amp, but we all have to compromise sometime.

Just thought, after my extensive research, that will around £600 to spend, one of the forementioned products would be best.......

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Just found the onkyo 876 on finance for £699 in black.....

How would the music and movie experience be with that, in comparison with the yamaha 863se, marantz sr5003/6003?

Anyone know?

Professorhat - I see your online at the mo and are normally a very knowledgable chap - any comments?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Have no experience with the Yamaha or Marantz amps other than by reputation - Marantz are generally deemed more musical. The Onkyos on the other hand, aren't (though I have no complaints with my 905). However, you realise most (if not all) of these will have stereo pre-outs on the AV amp which you could hook your existing Marantz stereo amp into for music. This is worth considering as you then only need to worry about the movie performance of your AV receiver.

EDIT - worth taking your front speakers into account with this too - will you be able to demo the Yamaha with your own speakers?

ÿ

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Onkyo is a great amp and at that price a bargain. I would still put the Marantz Sr6003 ahead of it on 2ch playback and depending on the size of your room at the very least on a par with the Onkyo for surround sound. The Onkyo comes into its own if you have a large room or really like the volume high as the sound is punchy.

Regards

Nick

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
professorhat-thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, the idea is to have a 'one box fits all' solution, so using the pre outs to feed my Marantz PM6010 KI is not an option. (The wife would have no idea how to use the system were I to use pre outs etc!!!)

The selling of the onkyo 606 and forementioned Marantz amp will help fund this upgrade.

The demo lined up with the yamaha 863SE is with the shops KEF 3005se system - my Q Acoustics 1030i floorstanders are a little too big to take over. The hifi store is a two minute walk from my house, and I did mention a home demo, but they would only be able to fit me in in 2 weeks time!! (by which time the yamaha might be sold!!)

Nick-The Home cinema Centre - was tempted to call you today, as you seem to stock all the amps I have shortlisted. The room is 14" by 12", so not particularly large. Therefore, I assume you would suggest the marantz SR6003 is the one to go for? (I'm not overly bothered by the upscaling facility on the amps, as all my sourses, par one, upscales to 1080p at the source, and after reading an article in What Hifi about this topic, it seems upscaling at the source generally gives better results.)

Is it much better than the SR5003, though? The wife likes the look of the SR5003, more than the 6003!! (Typical!!)

Finally, I see you have not mentioned the yamaha 863SE in your reply.....is the marantz sR6003 a step up from it, in your opinion?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Without a huge room I would opt for the 6003 over the Onkyo and the 863. The SR6003 is far more in keeping with the RXV1900 in performance. Between the 5003/6003 the latter is my choice although if you are looking to keep the budget down the 5003 is very capable.

Nick

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Nick, again thank you for your reply......

One last question:

I assume these two marantz amps will work well with the Marantz CD63MKII KI cd player, Sony BDP 350 and Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 system (fronts replaced by the Q Acoustics 1030i floorstanders and bi amped)?

(Not sure you will know the answer, as I have just noticed you don't stock Q Acoustics!!)

Thanks again.....having someone who hears all these products in demos daily is extremely useful on here, and I imagine everyone you help are very grateful.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts