Yamaha DSP-Z7 & DSD via HDMI

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone know if the DSP-Z7 supports a SACD DSD signal via HDMI or does it need to be converted to LPCM first? Thanks.

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what LPCM is and if I understand your question correctly, but I have my Z7 set-up with a Marantz KI Pearl SACD player using conventional audio cables and my Pioneer LX91 and TV connected by HDMI to HDMI. I know there are other HDMI ports spare on my Z7, so I suppose if you have an SACD player with HDMI ports then don't see why you could not do as you wish.

SonicD

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Some AV amps accept the raw DSD digital signal via HDMI, others such as the Arcam AVR600 require the DSD signal to be converted to LPCM by the source. With your set-up, it sounds like your Marantz is converting the DSD signal to analogue and you're sending the analogue signal to your amp. I want send a digital signal via HDMI, but want to know whether that signal has to be DSD or LPCM, obviously the former is preferable but dependent on the DSP-Z7 being able to accept DSD via HDMI.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Pete

I haven't seen this feature in the DSP Z7 manuel, but I have on the other hand not looked for it either, as I do not have a SACD player.

I will try to look it up during the weekend and get back to you.

pete321:Some AV amps accept the raw DSD digital signal via HDMI, others such as the Arcam AVR600 require the DSD signal to be converted to LPCM by the source. With your set-up, it sounds like your Marantz is converting the DSD signal to analogue and you're sending the analogue signal to your amp. I want send a digital signal via HDMI, but want to know whether that signal has to be DSD or LPCM, obviously the former is preferable but dependent on the DSP-Z7 being able to accept DSD via HDMI.

Hi pete321

The Yamaha DSP-Z7 does accept DSD via HDMI (page 21 owners manual).

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi pete321,

Would be intrested to hear how the Z7 fairs with your oppo as thinking of getting one to replace PS3.

Thanks

James

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
jimvicks:Would be intrested to hear how the Z7 fairs with your oppo as thinking of getting one to replace PS3.

I should be getting it by the end of next week, it's replacing my AVR600, finally got completely fed-up with the bugs and I'm getting a refund.

In some ways, if you've got a Z7, then that offsets one of major reasons for having the Oppo - the Anchor Bay upscaling chip. The Oppo BDP-83 is the best SD upscaler I've seen, but the Z7 already incorporates that so I'll probably be using the Oppo in Source DIrect mode with SD material.

I guess it depends on what you want the player to do, if you want SACD/DVD-Audio playback along with MKV support (4gb+ supported on disc, but not USB) then I don't think there's anything to challenge it at the price. If they're not important to you and you've got a Z7, then the Pioneer 320 may be the cheaper option. The BD picture on the Oppo is pristine, but I guess it will be on a lot of the new players emerging at the moment. For me the SACD/DVD-A/MKV + hardware mod region/zone free sells it, but not everyone will want that.

I'll report back next weekend when hopefully my Z7 will be up and running, although my first priority will be to test the stereo music sound, I'm not expecting it to be up to the AVR600 quality, but who knows. If not, I'll still have £1400 left from my refund for a stereo amp!

pete321:

MUSICRAFT: The Yamaha DSP-Z7 does accept DSD via HDMI (page 21 owners manual).

Excellent - Thank you.

Hi pete321

Your welome.
emotion-1.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

pete321:

jimvicks:Would be intrested to hear how the Z7 fairs with your oppo as thinking of getting one to replace PS3.

I should be getting it by the end of next week, it's replacing my AVR600, finally got completely fed-up with the bugs and I'm getting a refund.

In some ways, if you've got a Z7, then that offsets one of major reasons for having the Oppo - the Anchor Bay upscaling chip. The Oppo BDP-83 is the best SD upscaler I've seen, but the Z7 already incorporates that so I'll probably be using the Oppo in Source DIrect mode with SD material.

I guess it depends on what you want the player to do, if you want SACD/DVD-Audio playback along with MKV support (4gb+ supported on disc, but not USB) then I don't think there's anything to challenge it at the price. If they're not important to you and you've got a Z7, then the Pioneer 320 may be the cheaper option. The BD picture on the Oppo is pristine, but I guess it will be on a lot of the new players emerging at the moment. For me the SACD/DVD-A/MKV + hardware mod region/zone free sells it, but not everyone will want that.

I'll report back next weekend when hopefully my Z7 will be up and running, although my first priority will be to test the stereo music sound, I'm not expecting it to be up to the AVR600 quality, but who knows. If not, I'll still have £1400 left from my refund for a stereo amp!

Hi pete321

How are you finding the DSP-Z7?

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS