Yamaha CDS300 v Rotel CD11

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
My Yamaha CDS300 has pretty much given up the ghost, the drawer only opens when pulled and the display no longer works. Despite the above you can still play CD’s.

last night I was browsing on eBay with a view to looking at used Marantz 6006 prices when I started chatting to someone selling a pretty much brand new/ex demo Rotel CD11 . He accepted my offer for £200 so I bought it. I have two questions:

1-will it be as good as my Cds300
2- is there a market for faulty cds300’s?

I rarely play CD’s now so as long as it’s as good as the Yamaha I’ll be happy. Obviously when it arrives I’ll play and compare but in the meantime I’m interested in opinions.

once I’ve listened if it’s not as good , looking at sold prices I think I can move it on for the same price as I paid for it. I’ll then buy a used CD6006 for slighty more money.

Full disclosure, prior to buying I thought I’d recently read some good reviews about the CD11 but that was the Tribute version 😀

Last edited:

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
£200 for a Rotel CD11 is a very good price. Rotel make first rate CD players. it won’t be night and day better than the Yamaha but will give you years of listening pleasure. Yes, still a huge demand for the CDS300. Many Yamaha fans out there and the 300 is no longer widely available.

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
£200 for a Rotel CD11 is a very good price. Rotel make first rate CD players. it won’t be night and day better than the Yamaha but will give you years of listening pleasure. Yes, still a huge demand for the CDS300. Many Yamaha fans out there and the 300 is no longer widely available.
Thanks Steve. I play very few CD’s so not prepared to spend too much as it will only get played once or twice a month. Sounds like this will do the trick.

gasolin

Not so long ago i bought a Yamaha CD-S300 to me it sounds good and i haven't thought of using my topping D30 with the cdplayer.

You have bough a different cdplayer but could have bought a cheaper cdplayer and a good dac that also could be used for your pc

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
Not so long ago i bought a Yamaha CD-S300 to me it sounds good and i haven't thought of using my topping D30 with the cdplayer.

You have bough a different cdplayer but could have bought a cheaper cdplayer and a good dac that also could be used for your pc
Good news Andy. At the budget end of the market I don't think you can beat Rotel for CD players. Enjoy!
I will do thanks.

I spent a good few hours yesterday playing cds on the CDS300 and then played the same ones in the CD11 once it had arrived; without a doubt an improvement.

I stream pretty much everything these days but have 100’s of CD’s and every now and again I like to play a few, the CD11 will do the job nicely..

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
My only VERY slight quibble with modern Rotel CD players is the tray, it is a bit awkward to extract the CD. There are no indentations on the tray to enable gripping the edge of the disc.

As I say a very minor gripe, doesn't detract from its sonic capabilities.

Reactions: AndyCC72
My only VERY slight quibble with modern Rotel CD players is the tray, it is a bit awkward to extract the CD. There are no indentations on the tray to enable gripping the edge of the disc.

As I say a very minor gripe, doesn't detract from its sonic capabilities.
My old 975 had a rubbish tray. It was flimsy and could easily break. Think this must be in Rotel's DNA.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Don't know about other budget models but Rotel's are still a bit flimsy but you have to stick your little finger into the centre of the disc to pop it out. You just have to remember to be a little bit careful and you're fine.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts