Yamaha AX-350 Amp left channels dying one after another

Calvinblue

Jan 28, 2018
Visit site
Hi there :)

I have recently taken an old Yamaha AX-350 amp from its case at my parents and started to use it, but the left channels of the "aux" and "cd" inputs died one after the other within one month interval... I am using an apple airport express with this amp and each time the input dies I had to plug the airpot express in another one, but I fear the last input on whitch I have plugged it will also die :( I don't know what to do ! When the left input "dies", there is still sound coming ouf of the speaker, but its a very low sound.

The amp is quite old (1990's) and I believe it have never been serviced in any way. Does anyone have an idea about what I should do ?

Thanks in advance !

insider9

I don't know how good that model is but for around £50 you could get a different amp second hand and sell the Yamaha for spares. Someone is bound to give you a fiver for it even in that condition.

Gray

Calvinblue said:
Hi there :)

I have recently taken an old Yamaha AX-350 amp from its case at my parents and started to use it, but the left channels of the "aux" and "cd" inputs died one after the other within one month interval... I am using an apple airport express with this amp and each time the input dies I had to plug the airpot express in another one, but I fear the last input on whitch I have plugged it will also die :( I don't know what to do ! When the left input "dies", there is still sound coming ouf of the speaker, but its a very low sound.

The amp is quite old (1990's) and I believe it have never been serviced in any way. Does anyone have an idea about what I should do ?

Thanks in advance !

Here's what I'd do (If you're anywhere near Essex, I'll do it for you). With the amp isolated from the mains, take off the top cover.

Use some of this*:

http://cpc.farnell.com/servisol/100001300-200ml/super-10-200ml-switch-contact/dp/SASERVISOL?ost=servisol+contact+cleaner&cfm=true&ddkey=http%3Aen-CPC%2FCPC_United_Kingdom%2Fsearch

to spray inside those silver metal covers behind the switches and rotary controls. As you do each, repeatedly switch / rotate them.

See if that cures your problem(s). If not, there's more you can do, depending on how involved you want to get.

I wouldn't give up on it (but then I never like to give up on anything).

*Others have got their own favourite contact cleaners, but I've found this works wonders. Note that that company (CPC) require minimum (web) order of £5 +VAT to avoid handling charge - so either make up the price or get it (or equivalent) from elsewhere.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts