Yamaha Aventage 3010 or Pioneer SCLX85 for Music

hubiedubie

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Trying to decide which of these receivers to buy. It seem that they're both great for movies. However I will be listening to music a good deal on the system too. I will be pairing it with Monitor Audio Apex speakers.

Thanks in advance,

Hugh

hubiedubie said:
Trying to decide which of these receivers to buy. It seem that they're both great for movies. However I will be listening to music a good deal on the system too. I will be pairing it with Monitor Audio Apex speakers.

Thanks in advance,

Hugh

Hi Hugh

Ime Yamaha AV amplification with its (amongst other qualities) full bodied, richly detailed, fast and dynamic presentation will form a much better tonal match with Apex sub/sats with music or movie soundtracks :) The Aventage RX-A3010 and Apex is a combination which i feel can be listened to for hours without fatigue.

Merry Christmas

Rick @ Musicraft

MMW

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I tried Yamaha RX-V3067, RX-V2067, RX-V1067, Pioneer LX73, Denon 3312 with Apex 5.1 setup and I ended with RX-A2010 and couldn´t be happier with the results with music listening! I have owned several "high end" stereo rigs in the past and I´m VERY impressed with the Apex/RX-A2010 combo with music listening. Very detailed, spacious and transparent sound with a superb tone and zero harsness. I haven´t tried the 3010 but I feel very confident it will be just superb with Apex speakers.

A

Anonymous

if either AV amp sounds particuarly "bright", harsh or warm-something is wrong with it

depending on the quality of the AV amp - some sound higher quality/more transparent I do agree - due to the quality of the components

but any AV receiver of worth that can drive the speakers its connected to should have a flat (+/- a tiny amount) output

btw - what lead you to those particular av amps - look out for close-out deals or ex-dems of last years models-they'll sound just as good for a lot less money - I've seen Denon 4310s, Yamaha 3067s way under 1k and Pioneer SC-LX83s for £1100 or so- great deals

hubiedubie

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Buckshar said:
btw - what lead you to those particular av amps - look out for close-out deals or ex-dems of last years models-they'll sound just as good for a lot less money - I've seen Denon 4310s, Yamaha 3067s way under 1k and Pioneer SC-LX83s for £1100 or so- great deals

I'm based in Ireland and none of the dealers keep much stock here so it's all ordered on demand. Very hard to get any of last year's models.

hubiedubie

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
MMW said:
have owned several "high end" stereo rigs in the past and I´m VERY impressed with the Apex/RX-A2010 combo with music listening. Very detailed, spacious and transparent sound with a superb tone and zero harsness. I haven´t tried the 3010 but I feel very confident it will be just superb with Apex speakers.

Upon further consideration if I go for the yamaha it will be the 2010. Can't really see enough difference between the 3010 to justify the cost difference.

hubiedubie said:
MMW said:
have owned several "high end" stereo rigs in the past and I´m VERY impressed with the Apex/RX-A2010 combo with music listening. Very detailed, spacious and transparent sound with a superb tone and zero harsness. I haven´t tried the 3010 but I feel very confident it will be just superb with Apex speakers.

Upon further consideration if I go for the yamaha it will be the 2010. Can't really see enough difference between the 3010 to justify the cost difference.

Hi hubiedubie

Fwiw, as good as the Aventage RX-A2010/Apex combination is however none of my clients have gone back to the Aventage RX-A2010/Apex combination after experiencing the reproduction of a set up consisting of an Aventage RX-A3010/Apex system with movie or music soundtracks :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

hubiedubie

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi hubiedubie

Fwiw, as good as the Aventage RX-A2010/Apex combination is however none of my clients have gone back to the Aventage RX-A2010/Apex combination after experiencing the reproduction of a set up consisting of an Aventage RX-A3010/Apex system with movie or music soundtracks :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick. What's the difference between them in terms of sound and specs? It's hard to see on paper - all I can see on the website is an extra 10 watts and some video adjustment parameters ?

Hugh

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
There is actually a great deal of difference that doesnt make it onto the spec sheet. The overall construction and components used directly improves the sound. You would hear it in a demonstration, how much would depend on the speakers.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
if the 85 is anything like the 83 then with a set of Apex it will sound stunning

I have not heard the yammy you menion but used to own a Z7 before my lx83.

There is likely a setting in the Pioneer same as the 83 called x curve where you can tail off the treble if you think its too bright - it says to do it for larger rooms.

Better still learn how to use Advanced MCCAC properly - get in there get it set up its best and i doubt you will think it bright - more likely precise and awesome - rather than muddy, lazy and uncomposed thats what I got going from the Z7 to the 83

I have written a big long help guide to cal your amp properly on here before but basically you use the auto setup, but then use the reverb measurement/ mccac software and equalizer to get as flat a response as possible i.e. all frequesncies at same volume.

Then it wont be bright, it will be excellent and a very enjoyable and exciting listen.

michael hoy

ellisdj said:
Better still learn how to use Advanced MCCAC properly - get in there get it set up its best and i doubt you will think it bright - more likely precise and awesome - rather than muddy, lazy and uncomposed thats what I got going from the Z7 to the 83

I have written a big long help guide to cal your amp properly on here before but basically you use the auto setup, but then use the reverb measurement/ mccac software and equalizer to get as flat a response as possible i.e. all frequesncies at same volume.

Then it wont be bright, it will be excellent and a very enjoyable and exciting listen.

Could you post the link for those who have not seen it, it could be worth it to a lot of people.

I agree that once you set the amp up correctly the Apex sound even better.

hubiedubie

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Due to Christmas overspend (should have anticipated this), I've ordered the Yamaha Aventage A2010, 2 Apex A10s, an A40 and Apex Sub. Should be arriving next week!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in the response

My instructions are very long as its semi complex to explain but easy to do when you know how

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/pioneer-sc-lx75-vs-sc-lx85-i-cant-tell-the-difference?page=2

You want page 3 of this thread as I quote from my earlier instructions with a few recent additions / improvements again!!

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
is it correct that...1. a low/mid level avr and a high level AVR will both sound the same upto a particular sound level...? ( ie upto mid volume levels )2. and it's only at mid + and high volume levels that a high level AVR sounds better ?

is it correct that...

1. a low/mid level avr and a high level AVR will both sound the same upto a particular sound level...? ( ie upto mid volume levels )

2. and it's only at mid + and high volume levels that a high level AVR sounds better ?

rana_kirti said:
is it correct that...1. a low/mid level
avr and a high level AVR will both sound the same upto a particular sound level...? ( ie upto mid volume levels )2. and it's only at mid + and high volume levels that a high level AVR sounds better ?

is it correct that...

1. a low/mid level avr and a high level AVR will both sound the same upto a particular sound level...? ( ie upto mid volume levels )

2. and it's only at mid + and high volume levels that a high level AVR sounds better ?

No. Even at low to mid volume levels, there's a distinct difference between receivers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts