Yamaha AS701 vs Yamaha AS1100

Peppe1990

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

This is my first post on here so i apologise if i miss any information out.

I currently own a pair of B&W CM8 S2 and I’m using a Yamaha AS701 to power them. They do sound great, however I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to listen to the Yamaha As1100? (cost approx. £600 more). If you have experienced both amps then great!! can you let me know your thoughts on them? (will i hear a big difference?)

Unfortunately my local HiFi dealer don’t have any in stock (AS1100) so i cannot have a listen myself :(

To be honest, i wish my speakers sound a little brighter however I’m not sure if that’s my speakers, amp or dac that’s letting me down or whether it’s Yamaha in general (very natural sounding).

My gear is a followed… B&W CM8 S2, Yamaha As701, Bluesound Node 2 (using the dac inside) QED XT40 speaker cables and play using CD/Hi Res files.

Thanks for your time.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Peppe1990 said:
Hi All,

This is my first post on here so i apologise if i miss any information out.

I currently own a pair of B&W CM8 S2 and I’m using a Yamaha AS701 to power them. They do sound great, however I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to listen to the Yamaha As1100? (cost approx. £600 more). If you have experienced both amps then great!! can you let me know your thoughts on them? (will i hear a big difference?)

Unfortunately my local HiFi dealer don’t have any in stock (AS1100) so i cannot have a listen myself :(

To be honest, i wish my speakers sound a little brighter however I’m not sure if that’s my speakers, amp or dac that’s letting me down or whether it’s Yamaha in general (very natural sounding).

My gear is a followed… B&W CM8 S2, Yamaha As701, Bluesound Node 2 (using the dac inside) QED XT40 speaker cables and play using CD/Hi Res files.

Thanks for your time.
I would say it’s the speakers as I can’t see it being the amplifier because I’ve got a Yamaha A-S2100 which by what you say about Yamaha being on the neutral side is correct .

i would also say try the Dali opticon 6 with your current amplifier on a demo and see what you feel then because I’ve found that Dali and Yamaha go together quite nicely .

but also you will like the Yamaha A-S1100 it’s a great amplifier but it’s only 90watts with 8ohm speakers and more if you go for 4ohm speakers like the Dali opticon 6 floor standing speaker if your got the room for them or the Dali opticon 2s which are stand mounted speakers

but if you like the Yamaha sound then I would be looking at speakers

D

Deleted member 108165

Agree with Vlad, it's the next one in the food chain, but don't expect fireworks as that doesn't happen until you take two steps to Sabbaths level *biggrin*

DrazenBab

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
My worry is the B&W speakers will the Yamaha A-S1100 sound any different then the A-S701 with B&Ws ?

I know this is an old post, but if you're still wondering about stepping up to the A-S1100 - do so. I just upgraded from my A-S501 (very similar, almost identical to A-S701) and I definitely felt the difference. They deliver the same amount of power (on paper) but 501 feels like it's is stretching it while the 1100 feels like it has ample in reserve and its rating on paper appears very conservative.

Also the 501 I loved for couple of years dearly, it's not going anywhere but moving into our family room to power my secondary setup. The 501 sounds too 'clear' and clinical, the 1100 has a 'color' to it, very warm timbre with deeper bass. I use respected Jamo Concert 830 stand mounts and these are demanding little beasts, drawing every bit of power they can from the amp, probably a little too demanding for the 501, but 1100 handles them beautifully.

1X00/2X00 series is a in a class of its own, by both the esoteric architecture, layout, highest quality analog componentry, finish, heft and weight. It simply cannot be compared to the pedestrian 300/500/700/800 models, they sport a totally different approach.

Enjoy it if you happen to have bought it in the end.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts