Yamaha actives ....and am I not blown

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I heard my friends setup the other day. With 2 Yamaha powered speakers . Both were atleast half a metre tall. They were fed by a north star dac via XLR. And the sound was to die for.The clarity and thickness to the sound was over whelming. They only cost 35k in India each, means probably 600 pounds in UK each. And their power output is 1600 watts each. I only heard them at the lowest volume possible. But that was mighty loud too. Iam still impressed by what I heard. Just thought I'd share.

newlash09 said:
I heard my friends setup the other day. With 2 Yamaha powered speakers . Both were atleast half a metre tall. They were fed by a north star dac via XLR. And the sound was to die for.The clarity and thickness to the sound was over whelming. They only cost 35k in India each, means probably 600 pounds in UK each. And their power output is 1600 watts each. I only heard them at the lowest volume possible. But that was mighty loud too. Iam still impressed by what I heard. Just thought I'd share.

Sorry to hear you are not blown. Horses for courses I guess.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I will certainly check with my friend and get back. And no one will really believe, that those yamahas , thrashed my setup of probably 10 times the price . But again my setup is running on bell wire and is not proper. And am i not glad to see you back....:)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Had to get back to my friend to find out. And they were DBR12's. And he had them placed probably 6 feet from each other, and pushed up against the wall. With absolutely no room behind them , they sounded sublime to me. The music was so thick and clear. I can't even compare my setup with that

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Yamaha pro gear does sound good. I also heard some Laney's that were very space filling, dynamics, crisp and with thick punchy bass, no offensive harshness or ***** compression drivers.

insider9

newlash09 said:
Had to get back to my friend to find out. And they were DBR12's. And he had them placed probably 6 feet from each other, and pushed up against the wall. With absolutely no room behind them , they sounded sublime to me. The music was so thick and clear. I can't even compare my setup with that
Yep, 12 inch and horns.

Your setup is created to do something different. You'd not be able to get it to sound like that. Then again these will not do some other things your setup can do.

Both do different things every well. It's unfortunate that you liked it so much as doubt may now creep in. That's why people like old Yamaha, JBL, Tannoys.

Maybe a second system upgrade is in order ;)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
A lot of pro hardware engineering knowledge bleeds into residential hifi kit. Example ATC, Tannoy, Yamaha, JBL, PMC etc. Application dictates design focus.

newlash09 said:
Can you please elaborate on your post again. I am almost heart broken at the moment. And half of me says, I should chase the Yamaha sound.

Sorry, obviously a language thing. Your opener saying I am not blown to me meant you didn't think much of them. I was obviously wrong in my assumption.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
bloody awful. If you like Yamaha pro actives, time to visit the audiologist. Mind you, if you like the sound of fingernails being scratched across blackboards, go for it.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
newlash09 said:
Can you please elaborate on your post again. I am almost heart broken at the moment. And half of me says, I should chase the Yamaha sound.

Sorry, obviously a language thing. Your opener saying I am not blown to me meant you didn't think much of them. I was obviously wrong in my assumption.

Exactly...unless he meant not being blown by the volume :)

Blacksabbath25 said:
Look at theses then .... https://youtu.be/7yLUzGbD0B8 they sound amazing or this https://youtu.be/4bEuv7RYhLo will beat PMCs any day
When I was a lad my neighbour, who first got me interested in HiFi with his Thorens/SME, bought those Yamaha 1000Ms. They were amazing, and the finish was beautiful too

I gather the beryllium was dangerous to make and they were discontinued. Coincidentally the dealer I got my ATCs from used to sell them. Sold more than anyone else in the U.K. and Yamaha gave him a pair!!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I’ve been very tempted to buy a pair my self I have seen them on eBay there are 2 finishes of theses speakers the more brutal studio back type and a deluxe home version in brown but they sell for a round £1000 which is quite expensive for there age .

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
I’ve been very tempted to buy a pair my self I have seen them on eBay there are 2 finishes of theses speakers the more brutal studio back type and a deluxe home version in brown but they sell for a round £1000 which is quite expensive for there age .
You really need to get yourself to Scalford Hifi show :) This year it will actually be in Kegworth mid March. Lots of vintage great gear on show. It was a big eye opener for me. Many great systems and components. Real variety and not of the kind you usually can demo at dealers.

In real terms £1,000 for older Yamaha can be a very good deal. As vast majority new speakers just don't sound like that. It's a lot to spend blind but if you know you'll like them you'd do it in a heart beat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts