YAMAHA A-S 2100

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Have decided to open the thread more for the information purposes for someone who is maybe interested in this amp. A great amp. A very very good amp. I won't be describing here my excitement how it sounds etc. but wanted to say that after a demo it is now a huge drawing line for me between MosFet transistor amps and Bipolar. Indeed, the MosFets sound amazing. Airy treble and detail with poise and authority.This amp is a confirmation what a difference it makes. I think it belongs to a "higher league" in terms of sound level. Just pure and the absolute miniumum interface. No DAC, no loudness option ( thankfully...) but solid speaker connectors, treble, bass & balance. Solid construction. 2 meters and MM/MC option. This amp sounds very sophisticated. Presents music in a spotless manner almost for anything that should be within good sound constraints. I heard it with a great pair of Canton reference speakers. One more time. With a great set of speakers, this amp is extremely moving. Probably one of the best I have heard so far. I hope it is not only my own impression.

P.S. Disclaimer is that I did not have a chance to try it for a longer time, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't change my opinion.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I was just over at youtube to check it out. Not many great sounding clips, not the amps fault I assume but they mostly sound very hifi with a rather over pronounced and thin treble.

I would also forgoe the mostly useless meters for a simple visible volume control level indicator.

Other than that it looks good but I would also audition Marantz at that price if Jap battleship build (and size) is important.

Stereoman, I've noticed the 1500AE in your signature. I had one for a while. Nice amplifier.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
I was just over at youtube to check it out. Not many great sounding clips, not the amps fault I assume but they mostly sound very hifi with a rather over pronounced and thin treble.

I would also forgoe the mostly useless meters for a simple visible volume control level indicator.

Other than that it looks good but I would also audition Marantz at that price if Jap battleship build (and size) is important.

Stereoman, I've noticed the 1500AE in your signature. I had one for a while. Nice amplifier.

Interestingly, when I saw the new Marantzes for the first time I was honestly shocked how cheap and toy like they looked and felt. Next to them were the unpopular Yamahas that were only amps in the shop that looked and felt half decent quality. I think I played with the knobs too much, the employees were giving me the look. I laughed at loud at what is the new standard for "floorstanding" speakers. Only thing for grownups were the prices.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Well I own one and I love it

match this amplifier with a good set of speakers and you will be blown away I also own the matching cdplayer which has a top dac inside it .

about the uv meters I never have them on as you can turn them off if you wish as you do not sit there while your listening to music looking at uv meters and it's not really a selling point the sound of the amplifier is the selling point .

i feel this amplifier is well underrated the sound is amazing I can not pick any faults with the sound at all it stopped me box swapping .

but I stress find the right match in speakers to go with this amplifier and your understand what I am going on about .

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:

I think you shouldn't go wrong with this amp in any case. Amazing vocal reproduction. Upbeat and very rythmic sound with huge soundstage. I like YT clips but in this case impossible to even slightly judge I guess.

P.S. Yes, I know AE 1500 from Denon - a good amp, but you've overlooked sth. in my signature. I have DCD 1500 AE...a cd player. Close but no cigar ;)

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
but I stress find the right match in speakers to go with this amplifier and your understand what I am going on about .

thumbs_up.gif

Yes , the speakers should be very well matched. As said I heard it with top Canton bookshelf reference 9 speakers, true. I was blown away by the sound of the amp ( the speakers I can fully recommend for this amp too ).

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
stereoman said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Yes , the speakers should be very well matched. As said I heard it with top Canton bookshelf reference 9 speakers, true. I was blown away by the sound of the amp ( the speakers I can fully recommend for this amp too ).
the amplifier has a very good spec too

it has a full balanced inputs for using XLRs if you choose to go that way and a top phono stage for a TT

a good headphone section you can also use the amplifier as a pre or as a power amplifier as well has a hole host of setting at the back to adjust different things .

construction is the best I've ever seen on a amplifier all aluminum even the noobs and switches are aluminum .

custom made power supply in side this amplifier .

the A-S2100 Sonically well with the Dali opticon range I've had the opticon 6s and now the 8s just a good match . Here is the best review I've come across on YouTube ... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7jjAZz7NOK0

Although I've personally favoured big integrated amps - and over the decades I've owned the Sansui AU-919, Krell KAV-300i and now my current Primare - I'm not sure how many sales they generate, versus say Naim or Rega, at least here in the U.K.

The Yamahas have had some great write ups, though I don't recall WHF was overly keen (much as with my I32, as it happens). But they look great, and have a superb finish, pretty much the equal of the frankly overpriced Luxman and Accuphase, tasty as those are. It's a shame the Yamaha gets so little coverage, but I guess the profit is in soundbars and AV amps.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
Although I've personally favoured big integrated amps - and over the decades I've owned the Sansui AU-919, Krell KAV-300i and now my current Primare - I'm not sure how many sales they generate, versus say Naim or Rega, at least here in the U.K.

The Yamahas have had some great write ups, though I don't recall WHF was overly keen (much as with my I32, as it happens). But they look great, and have a superb finish, pretty much the equal of the frankly overpriced Luxman and Accuphase, tasty as those are. It's a shame the Yamaha gets so little coverage, but I guess the profit is in soundbars and AV amps.
this is the issue

yamaha do make very good amplifiers but when whf had one for review they give the A-S2100 -A-S3000 a not very good write up which i do not totaly understand .

if you match the right speakers up to theses 2 amplifiers they sound amazing so i do not take much notice of whf of there reviews as they are pointless and puts people of buying a perfectly good amplifiers

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:
I want Yamaha, Technics, Pioneer and Sony to get the worst possible reviews so I can buy them cheap.

Have I told you what utter complete rubbish Conrand-Johnson amps are? Terrible! *biggrin*
Ha! I reckon the Mark Levinson no. 585 is terrible!!

Simply junk. Just leave it at the curb and let me know.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I want Yamaha, Technics, Pioneer and Sony to get the worst possible reviews so I can buy them cheap.

Have I told you what utter complete rubbish Conrad-Johnson amps are? Terrible! *biggrin*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:

Have I told you what utter complete rubbish Conrad-Johnson amps are? Terrible! *biggrin*
I remember when I first left school

i saved up and brought my first ever amplifier it was a brand new Technics su600 I loved it

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:

I remember when I first left school

i saved up and brought my first ever amplifier it was a brand new Technics su600 I loved it

If you loved their worst you will really love their best.

Look at this insanity. Scroll for nudies.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
the power amp then looks lovely i could keep on looking at the insides of that one but both look well made .

not sure if i remember i thought musiccraft had theses 2 for sale about 6 months back but not sure if this was what he was going on about

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
the power amp then looks lovely i could keep on looking at the insides of that one but both look well made .

not sure if i remember i thought musiccraft had theses 2 for sale about 6 months back but not sure if this was what he was going on about

These are limited edition from 1988, only 200 made.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

These are limited edition from 1988, only 200 made.
thats a beast

seemorebtts said:
After listening to black Sabbath's Yamaha yesterday i was very impressed.very balanced amp and i think he got the pairing right too with the Dali's
I reckon the A-S2100 is the sweet spot in the current range, as it is similar to the 3000 on test, but significantly less expensive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts