Yamaha 863 @£600 Onkyo 806 @£500? which one?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Which one do I got for?

Just tested the 806 with some B&W 685 kit. awesome.

Problem is can't get an audition of the Yamaha till Feb ish time.

With the Onkyo being £100 less is it worth it over the Yamaha which is rated better??

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
If you're going to buy now, buy what you have auditioned, after all YOU liked it and that is what is important. If you buy blind on the back of what someone else says and don't like it, what will you do? You have done what everyone should do and that is to match the amp to the speakers using your own ears. If you're happy with the sound, setup and aesthetics of the Onkyo/B&W go for it I say!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
d4v3pum4:If you're going to buy now, buy what you have auditioned, after all YOU liked it and that is what is important. If you buy blind on the back of what someone else says and don't like it, what will you do? You have done what everyone should do and that is to match the amp to the speakers using your own ears. If you're happy with the sound, setup and aesthetics of the Onkyo/B&W go for it I say!

I disagree. The Yamaha can be found for less than £500 and is supposed to be better than the 876. It's smaller, nicer looking and will hold it's value better. I realise that you should demo equipment beforehand but sometimes it's worth the gamble. I would be amazed if you weren't impressed by the Yamaha.

A

Anonymous

thats the thing, its looking like the yamaha could be out of stock untill feb now.

I do like the Onkyo and feel it is better spec than the Yamaha.

In regards to advantages (more refined sound) what is it i'd really hear in sound over the Onkyo. I tried both Blu ray and CD and the set up was sweet.

I want the amp to cover both as I don't have the room to have a hi-fi as well. No to mention the pennies to pay.

Tried the KEF 3005 as well, they sounded completely flat against the B&W's, Very midy!

Where can you find the yamaha at under £500?

A

Anonymous

Whatever you buy it will be out of date in 6-12 months!

The latest model is always better, (so they say) so I say trust your ears.
If you find that whatever you are listening to gets your foot tapping along and you are really enjoying the music, you are there!

BUY IT

One of the best (musically) systems I have enjoyed over many years was a Quad 303/33/FM3. After many years of use I stripped the 303 down, replaced many of the board components with better ones, removed the transformer and linked it up with a modified Cyrus 2 PSX unit. Ran it with Rogers LS6 speakers with handmade crossovers, kimber cable, Meridian 207cd, Thornes 160/hadcock arm.
Still will take some beating even today. So the point I'm making is good music is good music and will always remain so.

Thats what it is about. Go and enjoy, in another 3 mths there will be something else due in another 3 mths.
It goes on and on.

A

Anonymous

very true. as well i always think to myself what does it matter if the onkyo isn't the top rated amp. I'm no expert (no trained ear) so not sure i'd hear a difference. plus like you say, it definately had me hooked when i auditioned it.

plus it is at a good price/its available to buy.

A

Anonymous

I listened to a 863 and ultimately bought a 763 which sounded not to far off the 863 in terms of scale and clarity. However, after living with the 763 for about 5 weeks, I have sold it today as it sounds a littled under powered in my room and I am expecting a Onkyo 876,as I liked the look of its specs , and it is due in the morning.

If it's of use I will post my opinion on the difference between these 2 tomorrow night, I am keen on seeing how the new Audessy itelligent volume works, which is meant to level out the differences between adverts & the programme you are listen too.

A

Anonymous

Not sure if this will be any help but two weeks ago I bought a Yamaha RXV1800 from Sound & Vision for £550. This was originally a £1000 receiver and according to my local dealer, was way better than the current £600 offerings (he recommended I snap it up, despite losing a sale on the 863!). 4xHDMI 1.3a, upscales everything to 1080p and decodes every format known.

It sounds AWESOME, so if they have any left I would thoroughly recommend it.

A

Anonymous

Markjaspi

Will be good to hear your opinions on the difference. I feel as well the Onkyo is spec'd better than the 863.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts