X FACTOR

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I have decided there's an entire new genre of music; forget jazz singers. soul singers, blues singers etc..... meet 'Advert singers' - performers whom just sing breathy cover versions of classic songs to be used in the next car/retailer/mobile phone commercial in a slightly kooky way.

Janet Devlin summed it all up tonight, with her knowingly warbely way with I can't help falling in love |(

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
I have decided there's an entire new genre of music; forget jazz singers. soul singers, blues singers etc..... meet 'Advert singers' - performers whom just sing breathy cover versions of classic songs to be used in the next car/retailer/mobile phone commercial in a slightly kooky way.

Janet Devlin summed it all up tonight, with her knowingly warbely way with I can't help falling in love |(

So you were the other person watching!

A

Anonymous

I love it. And I love Janet Devlin's voice. IMO better than Ellie G. It sounds so real.

I think there exists a huge number of people who hate it for what it is. But some of the people who come through it can shame some so-called megastars in the vocals dept...one look at any judges bench for example

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
snivilisationism said:
I love Janet Devlin's voice. IMO better than Ellie G.

To me that's like saying what would you rather die of - swine flu or bird flu; equally as terminal :)

And yes, I enjoy watching singing talent shows - despite the manipulation etc (which is somewhat part of the fun) there's always the chance there will be a real contender (whom if they're really lucky makes their own way in the world after time).

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I like it as a Sat night family entertainment show, gets us all going on different levels - the kids love their fav acts whereas the other half and I are busy predicting which load of tripe the 'judges' (Cowell's minions) will come out with. I think it is becoming a tad too contrived now though and far too predictable, as I said though its pretty good family entertainment, of which there isnt much I can sit and enjoy with a 10 year old these days

A singing / talent show it is NOT!

BTW we are all loving Janet, but can't help thinking she'd be better off leaving now before the SYCO machine ruins her in the name of a fast buck.

BTW 2. How much money / fame does Gary Barlow want? I can't understand any 'artist' who has the semblance of a respectable career behind him wanting to get involved with this. Now Tulisa's a different story...

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome said:
snivilisationism said:
I love Janet Devlin's voice. IMO better than Ellie G.

To me that's like saying what would you rather die of - swine flu or bird flu; equally as terminal :)

Appreciation of musical types is surely a wonderful thing. Female opera makes me want to strangle a cat, Jazz in most of its forms makes me reach for a large object to smash. Whereas I appreciate an interesting solo voice, especially when the accent (so long as it's a nice one) shines through.

I can imagine buying a Janet Devlin album, in much the same way as Matt Cardle last year. I only hope she doesn't win, because I am seriously dissapointed they seem to have got him singing rather generic "song-by numbers" material.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
snivilisationism said:
Appreciation of musical types is surely a wonderful thing.

Absolutely! It's one of the reasons at the moment i'm preferring the US contests: you're getting a broader pool of singers and genres - including gospel, country, heavy rock - that may not all be to my taste, but at least they're distinctive.

snivilisationism said:
Matt Cardle ..... I am seriously dissapointed they seem to have got him singing rather generic "song-by numbers" material.

Indeed. Singing a lame song Gary Barlow deemed even unworthy as a Take That album track ain't ideal....

[/quote]

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome said:
snivilisationism said:
Matt Cardle ..... I am seriously dissapointed they seem to have got him singing rather generic "song-by numbers" material.

Indeed. Singing a lame song Gary Barlow deemed even unworthy as a Take That album track ain't ideal....

He would make a superb lead singer in an indie-style pop/rock group. But what percentage of people trying to break through, actually do...?

The one thing that appauls me now about the program is the shoddy treatment of the bands...Essentially groups that already exist have zero chance any more as they are squeezed out by the ones the judges put together. I can see the reasoning, as they are all quite good (if not my cup of tea), but it seems incredibly unfair.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
"Destroy Rock" week....except Johnny......Go Johnny! :rockout:

I had to leave the room when Johnny came on. Utterly unlistenable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts